Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have ordered - but interior concerns..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 performance, the seats are... sub standard. I actually hate the pleather.

I am selling mine / trading / whatever for the CT.

My concern is... for a truck, the Pleather is not as durable, hard wearing or as nice as legit leather.

Therefore... does anyone know if there is going to be an option for this?

Or will it have to be "and now.. *Marine grade* vinyl seats"... yay... Im not a vegan. Screw that..

I want real dead animal skins please, they wear harder, look better and easier to look after dammit too..

Anyone else agree or any super massive Teslacandonowrong types here think that thin pleather is superior?

I recently purchased a Ford Raptor truck and the seats are great, especially the ventilated/cooled seats. Would love to see cooled seats in the CT. Interior storage vs. material on the seats is my primary concern. Model 3 vegan leather is fine in my book, but I would like CT seats to be a bit wider than Model 3 like they are in the Raptor. Imagine as we get closer to delivery some of the storage pockets and compartments will be on display in marketing pics.

Here’s some materials that would dam good in the CT.
34B97169-E468-461D-8D70-29A86D9685B3.jpeg

When I bought my 2004 Prius I didn’t like the material on the seats. I ordered and HD installed leather replacement material. It was quick to order Nd easy to have installed. It looked like the car came with leather seats. I don’t see why this would not be possible with the CT. There will be a lot more of them the first year than there were 2004 Prii.

Reactions: BayAreaCelt
This pleather is awesome. I have like month old coffee stains and it wipes right off. Kids had like melted candy on the seat and it came off. I'm surprised my seats held up so well.

I had leather in my Camry and the kids torn that up in months. Tesla still looks good after 2 years.

However, I love my leather steering wheel in my RWD. The AWD steer wheel doesn't feel right to me.

Then they should use cloth and only cloth for the interior instead of vinyl. If they were all about the environment they wouldn't launch rockets into space, How many barrels of oil does it take to make the rocket fuel that is used to launch Musk's spaceships. Musk plans to send a SpaceX rocket to Mars, with cargo only, by 2022, according to the SpaceX website. A second mission, which would take more cargo and crew, is targeted for 2024. Musk has also said he'll send a million people to Mars by 2050.

I disagree with the SpaceX ding - I agree with Elon that we need to be out in the stars to hedge our bets as we keep shitting on our own doorstep - but ThomasD is right 100pc about one thing; oil based pleather is NOT renewable, nor is it easily recyclable. Animal skins are perhaps the most environmentally friendly and sustainable cycle based off of the meat industry. For sure thats easier to make more of than drilling for a non-sustainable resource like oil, then shipping the oil somewhere, then fractionating it at a refinery, then transporting *that* raw material somewere, then further processing (im guessing crude oil distillates are not ideal or easy to turn into pleather).

We’re aware of the dangers of plastic-based materials once used, but Sandor warns that whilst using the product, its microfibres shed and threaten human health, due to accumulation of micro-plastics in the food chain, as well as absorbing them.

Sustainable designer Jourdan Norcose of Boyish Jeans, explains that designers should be wary about some forms of vegan leather that are more plastic-based.

“Leather is a love-hate story,” he tells me frankly. “Vegan leather can be made from plastics which take years to biodegrade, so it’s actually worse for the planet than regular.”

Micro-plastic pollution is a big threat, as it uses an extensive amount of water, energy and chemicals to be processed and made into the material which sadly impacts the earth.

“People think it’s better because it says vegan on it, but that’s because people aren’t taking the time to really learn about what they’re buying.

Unless the Tesla plastic seating is made from renewable resources (it can be) then its worse for the environment, net/net. Other than being *sugar* compared to like, high grade hides used in British high end cars for instance.

Last edited:
It would be highly hypocritical for a company that is all about the environment to use a product that kills animals. It is almost guaranteed that they will not change this for the CT.
Why Is that hypocritical? There is no correlation between killing farm animals As being bad for the environment. If anything I could make the argument less agricultural animals are better for the environment.

Beliefs are hard to change. I went through 4 different real leather couches over 10 years all destroyed by pets and kids, convinced of REAL leathers "toughness". After finally switching to a faux leather I've had now for 7 years that still looks good as new. Material Science has been quietly working away in the background since your beliefs were formed.