Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Tesla insurance, just got DMV letter "Intent to Suspend" for lack of insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got this letter. Took the first option on the letter and went to the website to try to resolve. When I got there, it said my insurance company had sent the paperwork and no more steps were needed.
Yeah just got the letter today as well. Located in socal. Went to the website as stated by the letter and after entering my info it shows that the liability insurance has been reported to DMV... No further action required.

Hopefully that's the end of this. Will post back if something comes up. Not sure if I should try to contact the DMV.

Just a quick update, it does in fact look like they have sorted this out for folks who had a effective suspension date of 12/30/19 or later. Here is what I see now when I go to the DMV site to check the status of my Insurance Verification Inquiry:

DMV_Insurance_Status.png

• Informative
Reactions: follow.johnny
Just a quick update, it does in fact look like they have sorted this out for folks who had a effective suspension date of 12/30/19 or later. Here is what I see now when I go to the DMV site to check the status of my Insurance Verification Inquiry:

View attachment 498658
I can confirm that this is what I also see at the DMV website when I try to check the status of the insurance verification.

I have one that’s sort of on hold due to COVID-19 complications. Tesla actually subcontracts out the actual claims stuff to another company, and that’s who you deal with. They’re professional and helpful but have no connection or insider knowledge with Tesla the car company. Especially if you have a problem that’s in a gray area like smart summon crashing the car not you. Speaking for a friend of course.

I have one that’s sort of on hold due to COVID-19 complications. Tesla actually subcontracts out the actual claims stuff to another company, and that’s who you deal with. They’re professional and helpful but have no connection or insider knowledge with Tesla the car company. Especially if you have a problem that’s in a gray area like smart summon crashing the car not you. Speaking for a friend of course.

Hmmm...that’s bothersome to hear that COVID-19 situation is holding up a claim. Sounds similar to what a local certified Tesla body shop told me the other day. They said there’s a Tesla insurance customer’s car that has been sitting at the shop for over a month waiting on a response from Tesla whether to repair or total. I know AAA has been at work as usual throughout this whole time.
Sounds like Tesla insurance is just another cheaper insurance option.

It’s not Tesla holding it up. It’s mostly my personal circumstances. Tesla was supposed to be “investigating” the incident and would call me back within 8 weeks. That was something like 20 weeks ago. Now you can’t call them at all and I haven’t tried going through the app yet to schedule the appointment because of the circumstances. Tesla Insurance’s subcontractor has been waiting on me to schedule the repairs.

I recently changed from Tesla insurance to Progressive, never filed any claim for past year and half, but it's a totally bad experience on communication and service:

1. I have two Tesla Model 3s, both of them has been warned by DMV for no insurances, couple of calls to DMV and faxed them paperwork to solved it.
2. My credit union maintains a portal to keep records of car insurance, Tesla never communicate with them and they always send notification for me to manually update the insurance document bi-annually, and for some reason they didn't include lien holder on insurance. a couple of calls to Tesla and CU to solve it.
3. They promised 20% premium reduction due to covid-19, but I never received them.
4. After I sold one of my Model 3, I called them to ask for remove the car but not my wife as co-insurer, after the phone call I received insurance pdf from email, it shows they removed both the car and my wife from insurance, the premium price only reduced about 15%, that's the final nail I totally can't stand with them, there is too much amateur practice.

After I changed to Progressive for 3 weeks, the thing I find out:

1. My CU get their info updated in a week automatically.
2. Price is cheaper for one car with better coverage.

Reactions: DopeGhoti
Just had to pay $14 to the CA DMV to un-suspend my registration on a car originally registered three months ago.

Tesla Insurance originally issued a policy for me with the wrong VIN – disconcertingly, they say that's a common mixup with Tesla's vehicle ordering and assignment practice – and when I called to correct the VIN on my policy, they said the only way to do that was to cancel the policy and reissue a new policy.

After guessing at the coverages I had the first time around (since they couldn't do that for me) and getting a new policy, I received a letter from DMV saying that as far as they knew I was uninsured, since they had no proof of a new policy after the original one was canceled.

I followed their instructions and e-mailed an address at the DMV with current proof of insurance with the new policy number and correct VIN, only to find out that, either because of the delay or unclear instructions (because, this being the DMV, I received no e-mail confirmation or information on any next steps) I was *also* on the hook for a $14 processing fee.

So, in summary, because I caught Tesla Insurance's screw-up and tried to make it right, I apparently had the DMV go through with suspending my registration, and I was responsible for all the legwork and payment of an extra fee to fix Tesla's mistake.

Can't say the experience filled me with a lot of confidence.

• Informative
Reactions: Bet TSLA
Just had to pay $14 to the CA DMV to un-suspend my registration on a car originally registered three months ago.

Tesla Insurance originally issued a policy for me with the wrong VIN – disconcertingly, they say that's a common mixup with Tesla's vehicle ordering and assignment practice – and when I called to correct the VIN on my policy, they said the only way to do that was to cancel the policy and reissue a new policy.

After guessing at the coverages I had the first time around (since they couldn't do that for me) and getting a new policy, I received a letter from DMV saying that as far as they knew I was uninsured, since they had no proof of a new policy after the original one was canceled.

I followed their instructions and e-mailed an address at the DMV with current proof of insurance with the new policy number and correct VIN, only to find out that, either because of the delay or unclear instructions (because, this being the DMV, I received no e-mail confirmation or information on any next steps) I was *also* on the hook for a $14 processing fee.

So, in summary, because I caught Tesla Insurance's screw-up and tried to make it right, I apparently had the DMV go through with suspending my registration, and I was responsible for all the legwork and payment of an extra fee to fix Tesla's mistake.

Can't say the experience filled me with a lot of confidence.
I had a similar issue, where Tesla Insurance issued a policy for me with the wrong VIN when I took delivery of my Model Y in March 2020.

They canceled my old policy & created a new one with the correct VIN#. Tesla Insurance said they'll also be able to send my insurance information to the CA DMV the same day today.

Yeah just got the letter today as well. Located in socal. Went to the website as stated by the letter and after entering my info it shows that the liability insurance has been reported to DMV... No further action required.

Hopefully that's the end of this. Will post back if something comes up. Not sure if I should try to contact the DMV.
Exact same thing for me, in Socal. Switched to TI from GEICO in June. Got this letter today, went on the website and entered info and got "Your liability insurance coverage has been reported to DMV by your insurance company. Your transaction is now complete. No further action is required."

Attachments

• dmv.jpg
    dmv.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 78
Well it's almost a year later when OP started this thread, and I just got the letter of intention to suspend today. I switched back in October 2020. So whatever process they have at Tesla it's not quite worked out. On the DMV site, the insurance inquiry does say that I need to submit proof. The email address is different than what's posted earlier in this thread: [email protected]. I sent the email and I also contacted Tesla. They advised they'll send me an email to reply with a copy of the notices and they'll contact DMV as well. We shall see. Based on earlier posts though it's best not to assume it's taken care of and keep checking in periodically before the suspension date.

• Informative
Reactions: Lubestaff