Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have to vent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, need to vent. Just picked up my MS and today I see the base price decreased $5k to $85k. I can't imagine how those that paid the price before the last 2 other decreases feel... Very frustrating to know you overpaid that much and now your existing car is worth less on day one. :(

Sorry, need to vent. Just picked up my MS and today I see the base price decreased $5k to $85k. I can't imagine how those that paid the price before the last 2 other decreases feel... Very frustrating to know you overpaid that much and now your existing car is worth less on day one. :(

True story. In Jan, I was in the local store to pick up a part, and also to cancel my MX order.

Talking to the service tech at the counter, mentioned my order.

He looked alarmed, then glancing furtively from side to side, said no, just no, maybe in month.

I planned to cancel anyway, and he seemed happy to hear that.

Next day? 5k drop.

You paid the same or less than all orders since fall of 21, so lots of company.

Tesla would go a looooong way in helping very disgruntled people like me (and themselves) if they honored major price changes within 30 days of purchase. I know that's silly, but there is a business reason to consider doing this. Someone on the fence right now is looking at these decreases saying, "I'm going to wait because the price keeps dropping.".

This is precisely the danger of economic depressions. As prices go down, people hold back buying things because tomorrow it will be cheaper. This decreases demand further so prices go down even more. Snowball effect.

Those reading these posts are not going to pull the trigger on a new Tesla given how much the price is changing. About a month ago, the price went down $5k, so this is not a slow and gradual thing. Also, these cars are generally not work vehicles like a new Ford truck, so waiting is easier to do.

Well, on the plus side, the trade in webpage for Tesla still shows that I have only lost $40K in the few months I have owned the car despite yet another massive price decrease. 🤣

The real kick in the nuts is that I mentally deal with steep depreciation by planning to hold onto the car for a long time, but I just don't know if I have the tolerance for the pain ahead of me as the SC customer service gets worse and worse every day. I don't have the dreaded front vibration yet, so how am I going to deal with that when it comes since Tesla hasn't solved it for 3 years now, and the Model S seems like it's priority number 98 for Tesla?

Reactions: El joe
The big manufacturers aren't going to make any profit from there "new" EVs for years until they can recover the billions in development costs. Tesla is already making a whopping profit from their cars, so they can keep cutting the prices, bettering the tech, and make the big manufacturers hurt more during this period of transition.

Well, on the plus side, the trade in webpage for Tesla still shows that I have only lost $40K in the few months I have owned the car despite yet another massive price decrease. 🤣

The real kick in the nuts is that I mentally deal with steep depreciation by planning to hold onto the car for a long time, but I just don't know if I have the tolerance for the pain ahead of me as the SC customer service gets worse and worse every day. I don't have the dreaded front vibration yet, so how am I going to deal with that when it comes since Tesla hasn't solved it for 3 years now, and the Model S seems like it's priority number 98 for Tesla?

I've lost more on my MS LR in 6 months than I did in my first new car purchase over 28 years. In fact, that car, which I still have,
is going up in value.

Sell your car and walk before you go to a SvC, even if covered by warranty.

Use the on line service manual and new service mode and fix it yourself if at all possible.

Good resources here on this forum for the vibration, which I don't have yet after 3k miles.

Reactions: El joe and TLLMRRJ
Wow. I was just looking at the new Model S and amazed to see how much the price dropped. I was thinking it would be cool to upgrade my ‘17 75D. But seeing the constant price drops and given that my own cars’s value is probably approaching zero, maybe I will keep my money. Funny how they advertise “potential savings” on gas when you lose tens of thousands in depreciation in the first year.

Wow. I was just looking at the new Model S and amazed to see how much the price dropped. I was thinking it would be cool to upgrade my ‘17 75D. But seeing the constant price drops and given that my own cars’s value is probably approaching zero, maybe I will keep my money. Funny how they advertise “potential savings” on gas when you lose tens of thousands in depreciation in the first year.

Not to mention tires. Way more pricey than on comparable ICE sedan, and wear twice as fast.

Think of all the things you probably have that the new cars don't. Summon, self park, leather, sunroof, and of course, lower depreciation and insurance.

If you think you car is near zero, I'd be interested in buying it...😁

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Not to mention tires. Way more pricey than on comparable ICE sedan, and wear twice as fast.

Think of all the things you probably have that the new cars don't. Summon, self park, leather, sunroof, and of course, lower depreciation and insurance.

If you think you car is near zero, I'd be interested in buying it...😁
LOL. Brakes too. Lots of savings there. And yes, I do have full self driving not to mention free supercharging. Now that my car value is approaching zero, yes, the depreciation is quite low as well. Probably. Ok, it's not quite zero, but to have my 6 year old car depreciate 15K+ in 6 months is a bit surprising. I'm sure we can work something out if you're interested. :) Now back to the topic of price drops..

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I keep looking at these price drops for the S and just keep thanking my lucky stars I did buy the Plaid like I was originally tempted to do. It was like 40-50k more than my LR when I ordered and I kept thinking that much more for a secon quicker to 60 mph, while fun, just wasn't worth it to me. Even more since there was really nothing special about the Plaid beyond more power.

Don't get me wrong, I love power, but how much of it can I use on a daily basis? I live in a congested city and I am normally at 40 mph or less 90% of the time unless I am on a trip. So the LR has been a great option with excellent range and still pretty fast.

With the price drops, we are almost down to what I paid for mine. A while ago I thought about selling it. Now I am just going to drive it until it won't go anymore. I'll be happy I have my parking sensors, no vibrations, normal tire wear, etc. and count myself lucky.

For all of you facing severe depreciation, I feel terrible for you. I got whacked on my 3 pretty badly but fortunately, I avoided buying it at peak oil so to speak. This kind of emotional roller coaster applies to I think all aspects of my Tesla ownership. Everybody was happy when prices were going up who had one, not so much if you hadn't bought in yet.

Buying/owning a Tesla is like buying/owning crypto.

Reactions: Tessd and aerodyne
Not with that attitude!

Those that want the 5k back after they already bought the car, how long should the period be that if the price goes up, that you have to pay Tesla that amount?

I'm not sure you understand the economics of depression, slight inflation or rampant inflation? Slight inflation is always preferred and one should obviously never expect to pay more for something after buying it. I understand you're trying to make some kind of point, but it is not well thought-out. If consumers see prices going down too fast (case in point), it prevents them from buying, which causes demand to go down more. It can lead to a vicious and damaging cycle. I think Tesla is making a mistake trying to drum up business by rapidly lowering prices. Had they done it over a year or more, that would be different. I think what's happening here is going to hurt them long-term.

Reactions: Tessd
Owners were on the other end of the stick, when prices kept rising. They could sell their used Teslas for more than they paid for them new.

Life is not fair...
Used cars going for more than new ones was an aberration due to the pandemic and chip shortage. Nobody expects a depreciating asset to go UP. Sure, you won’t complain if your depreciating asset goes up, but it’s unexpected. It’s also unexpected when your depreciating asset depreciates by 2x or 3x the expected rate. This isn’t about “fair.” It’s about buyers having confidence in the asset they’re buying. Why would I buy a new car that plummets in value when I can buy another one that does far better? Sure, I might guess wrong but I also will think extra hard before buying a stock that crashed 30% in the last six months. I’m a long term Tesla owner so it’s not like I hate Tesla. But I also don’t like throwing away money.

What others pay for their vehicles really doesn’t impact your transaction, at all. Whether it’s more, less or otherwise.

When you purchased the vehicle, you exchanged your hard earned money for the vehicle. At the time, you thought that exchange was fair. Neither the vehicle, nor the price you paid for it, has changed one iota. If you thought it a fair enough deal to execute then, it remains so. Nothing about any price adjustment - up or down - changes your individual transaction.

So it’s really of no consequence.

Now, if you were treating it as an asset that you could exchange back out for cash in the future … well, that’s the rub. With VERY limited exception, cars aren’t assets. They’re depreciating hunks of metal. Sometimes you get lucky and someone is willing to trade a large amount of cash for it. Sometimes not. Just the way it is.