Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have you ever been stranded due supercharger failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will soon have our first Tesla. It will be nice for my wife and I to be rid of range anxiety after driving other EVs for a few years now. We can drive pretty much anywhere with the support of the SC network. Looking forward to that freedom.

But a thought occurred to me today. What if you are on a road trip and you show up at a supercharger and they have no power or somehow shutdown, leaving you stranded without charge to make it to the next charging location? Is that even a real concern? Has anyone faced such an issue? Am I just making up crazy thoughts?

Thanks

I have heard of entire Supercharger sites being down due to a power outage in the area. In one case Tesla brought in generators to power the site until the utility restored power, in another case they paid to flatbed their car to the nearest charger. (I have also seen a site down because of sabotage but that was quite a while ago.)

Given the volume of cars now I don't know what Tesla would do, but what would you expect BMW to do if you got stranded in an ICE because the power was out and you didn't have enough gas to reach the next operating gas station?

I have only been to a SC about 6 times now and have only found one that would not put out full output. I tried another one and it worked fine.

One tip is to never let the SOC get so low that if you were to find a SC that was totally down that you have enough reserve to get to another charger close by.

• Informative
Reactions: notAnExpert
I have heard of entire Supercharger sites being down due to a power outage in the area. In one case Tesla brought in generators to power the site until the utility restored power, in another case they paid to flatbed their car to the nearest charger. (I have also seen a site down because of sabotage but that was quite a while ago.)

Given the volume of cars now I don't know what Tesla would do, but what would you expect BMW to do if you got stranded in an ICE because the power was out and you didn't have enough gas to reach the next operating gas station?
You can't pump gas without electricity either unless the station has a generator.

I've read on here once that a SC location was down and that there was a notice on the supercharger screen about it to alert you in advance. We don't use Superchargers that often but I would think checking on Plugshare or looking for nearby Tesla L2 charger locations should get you by though. I would assume any hotel for example would let you use their charger if you were traveling and found yourself in this situation. Goodwill on their part with the hopes you might stay at one of their locations in the future and tell others how they were willing to accomodate you.

181k miles on my Model S. More than 100k miles on road trips. I supercharged at 150 different superchargers more than 1000 times altogether. I have never been stranded because of a failed Supercharger. They are extremely reliable. I was stuck once at a Supercharger for 24 hours in the winter. Not fun! There was a big storm that knocked down some power lines and the entire area was out of power. I arrived at the supercharger but couldn't charge. I didn't have enough charge left to drive to the next one which was 90 mles away. All reachable chargers were affected by the power outage as well. The damage to the power lines was major so they didn't restore power for several days. Tesla tried to help but of course they can't magically repair power lines. Eventually they found a towing service that picked up my car (and me) and drove me to the next supercharger 90 miles away! They also covered the bill! Pretty amazing!

In a similar case a Supercharger along the I5 was out. Tesla hired a lot of tow trucks that drove all cars that arrived to the next supercharger for free. Those were the good old days, though. I doubt that will happen today. There are many more superchargers now and shortly after my incident Tesla added the feature showing in the car's navigation if a supercharger is down. So you can plan.

There are many other chargers out there that you can use should a supercharger fail and you really can't make it to the next one. Getting flat out stranded is actually very unlikely these days.

I should add, every EV owner (in the US) should have the plugShare app. It is the most comprehensive tool to find chargers in the US and Canada. I would always look at PlugShare first before I look at Tesla destination chargers.They are mostly as higher cost hotels that only allow you to charge if you stay there. Not what you want if you just need a charge on a trip. Tesla's navigation also doesn't show you any CHADeMO stations which are very useful (once they can make the adapter work for the Model 3)

We will soon have our first Tesla. It will be nice for my wife and I to be rid of range anxiety after driving other EVs for a few years now. We can drive pretty much anywhere with the support of the SC network. Looking forward to that freedom.

But a thought occurred to me today. What if you are on a road trip and you show up at a supercharger and they have no power or somehow shutdown, leaving you stranded without charge to make it to the next charging location? Is that even a real concern? Has anyone faced such an issue? Am I just making up crazy thoughts?

Thanks
The leaders on the Most Superchargers Visited board would be amused by your concern.

Yes, the possibility is real. But, like real life, you have to weigh this appropriately in your overall concerns.

FWIW, I have not encountered anything close to resembling a bad outcome in 3 years and 70K miles, mostly on the SC network.
I hope this message will encourage you to join the competition!

Reactions: David99

Thanks
In five and a half years of driving a Tesla all over the US and Canada (152,000 miles) I have only once experienced anything close to what you are worrying about. That was last year at Mojave. We arrived at the Supercharger late in the evening and only one bay was working and that was in use. After trying the others, I called Tesla to report the issue and we went to our hotel - we were staying in Mojave anyway. When we came back the following morning, Tesla already had an electrician there working on the problem and we were able to charge. The previous evening we would have been able to also if we'd been willing to wait for the other Tesla to finish charging, but we preferred going to our hotel and coming back in the morning.

I've always found Tesla to be very responsive to dealing with reports of Supercharger problems. I always call them if there's an issue. I remember one time I called them because one bay was not working - we moved to another bay to charge and before we had finished charging there was already an electrician there working on the problem bay. So make sure you call in to report problems.

Gee, I get to be the first "yes" vote?

We took delivery of our Model S in September of 2016. In October we took off on our first cross-country trip. This was before the battery upgrade, so it was still an MS60D. I was new and uncertain about range and charging, so we were charging to 100% at every Supercharger stop.

When we got to Price, Utah, we hooked up to the SC and -- nothing. Tried all of the stalls, and there was no charging. We noticed that the Dairy Queen there was in the process of closing. At 3pm. They said the power in the entire area was down because of a storm.

We called Tesla and they convinced us we had enough power to make it to the next SC if we slowed down. We really had no options. Folks saying "use Plugshare" don't take into account that a widespread power outage means NO charging facilities are going to work. That SC Is at a hotel, but the prospect of staying at a hotel in the desert with no A/C wasn't appealing.

We did go to Green River, and made it just fine by going slowly and drafting behind anything that was going anywhere close to the speed we needed to hold. I learned a lot that day.

When Tesla offered the battery upgrade at a reasonable price, we took their offer.

To the OP, it's no longer likely that you will have a complete set of superchargers down without the ability to reach the next supercharger. I've taken multiple road trips in the 4 1/2 years we had our cars, and while we occasionally find a stall off line, I've only experienced two complete site failures, both within the first year of ownership. The first one was Perry OK, Arrived with 90 miles of range left and had more than that to get to the next supercharger. Site was completely down, I called Tesla's 800 number and was advised that If I could make it to an RV park up the road a piece they would allow me to use the UMC and charge the 20 or so miles ( about an hour) that I'd need to reach the next charger. The second complete site failure occurred in El Centro CA. The problem in that case was that the site was down due to an overnight storm. Still had enough range to make it to Yuma in that case, just had to slow down to 60MPH for about 1/2 the trip to Yuma from El Centro. I believe having the ability to charge even from a 120V outlet is one benefit of Tesla ownership. Like others have suggested, Plugshare is a good app to have on your smartphone, It can identify alternatives if you do happen to find a down Supercharger- One other word of caution, it's much more likely to find a destination charger offline than a supercharger Personal experience with that in Amarillo TX, but we had charged enough at the supercharger that missing that destination charge didn't hamper our ability to make it to Shamrock.

Superchargers are the game changer for Tesla that no other company yet realizes or has realized and can't come to terms with. I know that this next week will test the system in CA as there are many more cars in CA than last year, but there are also many more supercharger stalls and the spacing is close in most of the state. My last trip was the first time we were never "alone" at any supercharger we stopped at, but we also never experienced a full supercharger as the charge rate allows the cars to turn over very quickly.

Hope this helps the OP. and others that may question the superchargers.

Never stranded but it’s been a close call twice. An essential stop on my trip in Michigan showed that the supercharger wasn’t working. I called Tesla and they told me the two stalls that seemed to be working the best. The other time was in North Carolina. I pulled into a station that showed up as fullly functional on the Nav but when I got there only 1 stall would charge the car. Other people on PlugShare reported the same issue yet Tesla still marked the station as open. That’s my experience over 2 years and 60k miles. Make sure to check PlugShare and plan accordingly. You shouldn’t have any issues

Yep. Silverthorn, Colorado and Erie, Pennsylvania. With Quartzsite, Arizona getting an honorable mention.

For Silverthorn, no indication of trouble on the Nav despite power having been out town-wide for almost 4 hours, nor did Owner Support mention it a couple of hours prior when I passed through Cheyenne (and could have charged more at Fort Collins or even Denver).

But no. There I was at the Silverthorn SC, at 9000’ elevation in late May during a 37F drizzle, with not enough juice to get to a L2 Costco charger. Tesla had a flatbed there in 25 minutes and just before the car was about to be winched thereon, I tested the SC one more time and there was not full power, but sketchy power enough to get me on my way to Glenwood Springs.

Erie, PA was infuriating. 11pm during a speed run (that’s velocity, not meth, tyvm) from California to Maine, and according to PlugShare that SC in Erie had had problems for over a week. No indication in the Nav. And maybe a trickle charge at best trending toward zero. I had to illegally park at an ICEd L2 at a Marriott miles away for hours to get enough juice to get to my hotel (reservation) for all of 2 hours’ sleep and 10 miles of 110V charging via an extension cord in the rain before the breaker tripped which then got me to the Buffalo SC with exactly 1 mile of range left. Tesla updated the Erie SC icon the next day, perhaps due to the spirited feedback I delivered while inconvenienced because they couldn’t be bothered.

Quartzsite wouldn’t have been a problem had the Nav notified me at the Scottsdale SC, in which case I could have topped off at Buckeye. But no yet again. Instead, the normally deserted Quartzsite Arizona SC, at which I have witnessed tumbleweeds blowing through, was full and stacked 5 deep with waiting cars. Sitewide zero-to-reduced power.

And here we are, at collectively well over 100,000 miles later in my case, and the Nav *still* doesn’t give *timely* indications of completely inoperative SCs, nor details with regard to what “Reduced Power” means, nor, with regard in the case of otherwise operational sites, which pedestals are down or impacted more than others (which could be easily shown with red/yellow/green status bars for relative health instead of red for occupied). Hit a few of those during an 800-mile day and you’ll add hours to an already long day.

Now, I wait until I hit the first bad pedestal and then call Owner Support for a readout of the next however many SCs for the rest of the trip. Knowing which pedestals not to use has a direct impact upon how much sleep I get at the end of the day/week.

Drive around long enough and you’ll end up having conversations with some of the traveling SC techs. I appreciate their efforts. There just need to be more of them. One fellow I talked with had been flown in from the Benelux region of Europe to help out in the (U.S.) Southwest and West - because the number of faults in his home region were quite low. That weekend, he had flown into Texas and was working his way through Arizona, Nevada, and Utah in a series of 12-14-hour days.

And so it goes. I’d like to think that the North American SC network is better now, although with markedly increased traffic, well, we’ll see.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Another good tip to remember in a pinch is that nearly any RV park could get you 20-30 mph with the UMC. RV parks are pretty common and most aren’t listed on plug share. Just try google maps if you can’t find better options.

Now, I wait until I hit the first bad pedestal and then call Owner Support for a readout of the next however many SCs for the rest of the trip. Knowing which pedestals not to use has a direct impact upon how much sleep I get at the end of the day/week.

Mr. Jones, I have encountered the odd malfunctioning stall at divers locations the past couple of years. In fact, I was at Cabazon in late November 2016 and the entire location was dark yet the Mickey D's next door was alive and brightly lit up.

I have reached out on the all-purpose, one-number-fits-all, Tesla toll-free, new-and-improved-FAQs-on-our-website-messages, punch-the-number-to-connect-to-the-right-department phone number. After a few clicks, the dulcet recording intones that my estimated wait is . . . "greater than 40 minutes" (and has been as great as over an hour.) I do not wish to burn minutes listening to the repetitive crackling and droning tunes that make elevator music seem like the Philharmonic. So, I no longer bother.

If it is up to us vagabonds to contact Tesla to self-report partially or completely malfunctioning Superchargers, then Tesla better have a better method to notify them promptly and then use this information to update all databases immediately.

For my scrip, if Tesla felt that this were a significant concern, Tesla would implement a better method of testing and communicating to us owners the operational abilities of each location as they are detected internally. Certainly Tesla knows our locations, and a message could pop up on our screens if there are issues at location X, whether they be isolated to one or two stalls or location-wide.

For the nonce, Tesla appears to want to focus on other matters, so I do not see this situation improving soon. And I define soon the same way Elon Musk and the Tesla website has defined soon the past lustrum.

On a road trip from Chicago to Minneapolis, I encountered a site (Mauston, WI) where none of the pedestals would charge more than a few minutes before aborting with some error. Basically had to add a few miles at a time (it would cut out after hitting 90kW or so), and took an hour to add enough to make it to the next charger.

On another occasion (Albert Lea, MN), all spaces were blocked by cars staying overnight at a hotel (one Tesla, the others trucks). Fortunately I was able to drive on the grass behind a pedestal to get a charge.

If I absolutely have to be somewhere on time, I now always charge enough to skip a station if there’s an issue, which adds time but brings peace of mind.

Never had an issue in 5 years. Also I carry several electric dryer plugs (6.39M charging locations) and RV plugs just in case with the Plugshare app on my phone as backup. I have even charged at a marina in the early days on a dock shore power 30/50/100AMP pedestal before Superchargers were on the eastern shore.
http://a.co/d/4qIvjm3

Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 9.10.33 PM.png

Last edited:
...One tip is to never let the SOC get so low that if you were to find a SC that was totally down that you have enough reserve to get to another charger close by.
As an old navigator who just ordered a TM3 AWD, this approach seems very familiar to me. On road trips, I'll want to maintain a reserve that will get me to my primary landing field (Supercharger) as well as a suitable divert field (L2 charging station/RV park/weld shop).

Reactions: jdcollins5