Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All re payment - I concur that I needed to pay in full before they would ship. I paid first week of April so policy seems to have been in place since then. BTW I met Luke, Barry's new assistant, at my pick up on Friday. I agree he is 5 star awesome just like Barry. We've got a great team here.

StephenM - I'm so sorry to hear about your car's recurrent problem. They will solve it most definitely. Hopefully it will not take long and Tesla will learn something in the process.

LOL!! There was another thread that said this same thing and the mods changed it! Everyone is so PC nowadays...

My car is back at the service center, and I've been given a rental car (mazda 3....)
I miss Tessie already... I know I know, pathetic sounding isn't it?

Fair warning to the other Hawaii owners, if your dash shows the message "Car needs service, 12v battery low" and it disappears after 5 seconds, don't ignore it. Both times this showed up my car was dead within 24 hours upon the next attempt at restart.

StephenM, I agree with your comment that its now unlikely its the 12V battery on yours, and if you are right, its the DC-DC Inverter, it will need to be shipped in to Hawaii. And if that Big Dark Red 85 at the SC has been saved for use here in Hawaii as a demo, maybe you could get it as a MS loaner versus an Enterprise rental?

Last edited:
Vanity Plates - UPDATE

Thanks for answer on Vanity Plates - I think I'm going to use the Aloha Spirt - Get my boys Initials on Vanity Plates - park where I want to and have them prove it's not an Electric Vehicle and only a DMV admin error - of course I sometimes like being "Dead Wrong".[/QUOTE]

Ok, shoot - I had forgotten that the EV plates not only give you free parking/charging - but you can cruise in the HOV LANE with only 1 person in the car....I guess the Kid's initials and vanity plate are gone for good...as I don't want to miss the opportunity to speed up to 20 in the HOV lane here in Hawaii Land!

BTW - I finally found out what is meant by the APP getting the VIN number as my VIN shows up on the sign on IPHONE Home screen - asking me to turn on the "Remote Access" in the car. Unfortunately the car is sitting at the dock in the bay area - so say's the TESLA folks - and will shortly ship....BTW they kind'a hinted they have another way of tracking the car and that the car is reporting it's position to them. So they have a secret way of monitoring but we have to turn the "Remote Access ON" from touchscreen? I guess I need to start reading.

hodges, welcome to the EV tag club. It will be worth it. Yes, TM has a connection to the cars to control software updates for instance. I suspect they have full control and remotely can do everything on their screen that we see on our center console. I would not be surprised that they could also flip the switch and enable remote access (if they wanted to do so.)

Your and nanimac's cars will be here soon. I am so excited for you. Don't forget your music for the first drive, and we will need a written report on what you think. (Is arm twisting really necessary to get that from you?) I think not. :)

Ok, shoot - I had forgotten that the EV plates not only give you free parking/charging - but you can cruise in the HOV LANE with only 1 person in the car....I guess the Kid's initials and vanity plate are gone for good...as I don't want to miss the opportunity to speed up to 20 in the HOV lane here in Hawaii Land!

BTW - I finally found out what is meant by the APP getting the VIN number as my VIN shows up on the sign on IPHONE Home screen - asking me to turn on the "Remote Access" in the car. Unfortunately the car is sitting at the dock in the bay area - so say's the TESLA folks - and will shortly ship....BTW they kind'a hinted they have another way of tracking the car and that the car is reporting it's position to them. So they have a secret way of monitoring but we have to turn the "Remote Access ON" from touchscreen? I guess I need to start reading.

Cars for Hawaii normally leave the factory on Tuesday for a Thursday Oakland departure. For some unknown reason they have been known to sit on the pier on Oakland for an extra week before getting loaded on the ship, despite what they tell you on the phone. I know that in addition to myself, many others have experienced this puzzling delay.

Cars for Hawaii normally leave the factory on Tuesday for a Thursday Oakland departure. For some unknown reason they have been known to sit on the pier on Oakland for an extra week before getting loaded on the ship, despite what they tell you on the phone. I know that in addition to myself, many others have experienced this puzzling delay.
I can concur that my car apparently also sat for a week before getting loaded on the ship.

My VIN# showed up on my tesla page this morning :smile: still haven't heard from a DS yet though...guess I should call

papafox, you should check for yours

Nanimac, that's one of the nicest birthday presents I've ever received: notification that I have a Tesla S VIN! Yep, it's there with 10 minutes to spare. Iphone app shows no link yet.

I just got an email saying that my car is expected to be completed on 5/16/13, which is a Thursday. Mac says expect 3 weeks to get it to Hawaii. If it is out on 5/16, and shipments from Oakland depart on Thursdays, I guess my car won't be leaving until 5/23 at the earliest. Not sure what that means when it will be available at the Waipahu SC. @dsmith, how did you know when it was being shipped and when it arrived? My original window was 5/22 - 6/5. I hope they stay within it. This waiting is tough.

I just got an email saying that my car is expected to be completed on 5/16/13, which is a Thursday. Mac says expect 3 weeks to get it to Hawaii. If it is out on 5/16, and shipments from Oakland depart on Thursdays, I guess my car won't be leaving until 5/23 at the earliest. Not sure what that means when it will be available at the Waipahu SC. @dsmith, how did you know when it was being shipped and when it arrived? My original window was 5/22 - 6/5. I hope they stay within it. This waiting is tough.

My completion date is 5/17 with a shipping window of 5/27 - 6/12. Wasn't expecting my car to be finished under the week of the 20th. Starting to sound like a bunch of the 40s(60s) will end up being on the same boat. The closer it gets..the harder the wait!

Rodf and Nanimac, with a completion date of 5/22, my car may be on that ship as well ; ) The problem is that if I miss the boat that Nanimac's car sails on, who is going to tell me when my ship comes in?

You just need to call/email every now and then to see where the car is. We emailed Tesla every 2 weeks or so to get an update. And yes, our car sat at the docks as well for at least a week.

Just received an email this morning with VIN and completion date of 5/24! Probably means I'm on the next boat out rather than with nanimac and RodF. App not connected yet. Also received an email from Mac, the DS, requesting info. 3 weeks to get to HI, huh? That means mid June. Still practicing patience.....

Can I make a suggestion that doesn't cost anything to try? After the car is finished and if you can tell just before it heads to the dock (so it still arouind some TM folks), contact your DS and ask that the enable the Remote Access. Once this is done, you can use the App to also track the location of the car. Whether its on the dock, on the boat or in Hawaii, the Google location will show you right where it is, down the the street name. If they are willing this can be enabled as soon as its finished.

Oh yeah. Barry might be able to get TM to enable Remote Access too. I suspect that Owner Exeripence can enable it from their Master Control Room (whereever that is).

Too bad they don't consider this a checklist item as its leaving the factory. I saw threads where people have said they tracked their car across country and others that couldn't acces their until it was delivered and they turned it on themselves.

Last edited:
Can I make a suggestion that doesn't cost anything to try? After the car is finished and if you can tell just before it heads to the dock (so it still arouind some TM folks), contact your DS and ask that the enable the Remote Access.

Akikiki, This is a tempting idea. It'd be fun to track the progress of the car as the shipping process continues. I'll talk with Mac (the Hawaii DS) and see what's involved in getting Remote Access enabled for the trip. One possibility is that the newest operating system may have a much better sleep mode and that Tesla would prefer to keep the car in a sounder sleep during the journey to minimize the chance of a battery depletion. I'll check and report back.

I once brought a sailboat from Sausalito to the Ala Wai over an 18 day period. I used a satellite phone modem to update the website daily to show our progress across the pond. The website was quite popular with friends and family (although some got a bit concerned by the photos uploaded on "dress like a pirate" day. While we may not have any GPS tracking across the Pacific (if 3G is the technique for communicating coordinates to Tesla) we might get some signals in ports. On the other hand, the cars might be so low in the ship that they cannot communicate even if there's an otherwise good signal in the port area. It might be fun to find out just what is possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.