Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@spleen - Looks awesome! I think I just found my wallpaper until I get mine to replace it! Where did you get your tinting done?

I also saw two MS' today - weird thing was they were both in my garage at work downtown - a white, then a silver w/ regular plates (RYC ____). Anyone here?

I also saw two MS' today - weird thing was they were both in my garage at work downtown - a white, then a silver w/ regular plates (RYC ____). Anyone here?[/QUOTE]

I've seen a white one a few times driving on Bishop and Alakea. Might be the same one.

Also, my coworker came back from a meeting today with a stunned look on his face..he said his client just let him drive his Tesla and he was blown away..pulled up the Tesla website when he got back to the office...lol..

- - - Updated - - -

gmtom1:
As nanimac pointed out to me earlier, here is the list of services provided for the inspection of your Model S: Model S Annual Service Checklist.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone:
My insurance agent asked whether we would be responsible for the car during shipping from the mainland to Hawaii. My belief is that we are not responsibile until we drive the car out of the service center, but cannot find any documentation of the sort. Also, no one answers or returns calls at the ownership experience number since late last year. For those of you that paid prior to ocean shipment of your car, what were you able to conclude?

Was going to wait to insure the car until i received it but My lender wanted insurance coverage for my Tesla within 15 days of the loan funding. I thought the same thing as StephenM.

@spleen - Looks awesome! I think I just found my wallpaper until I get mine to replace it! Where did you get your tinting done?

I also saw two MS' today - weird thing was they were both in my garage at work downtown - a white, then a silver w/ regular plates (RYC ____). Anyone here?

Tinting was done through ProTint Hawaii. Llumar ATR 35 film, if I recall correctly, all around (except windshield). The pano was tinted with ATR 5 film, I think. Thanks for the kind comments, all! I too am curious to see how the polish holds up over time.

RodF, Please post if you get a confirmation (and what time) for delivery this Saturday. I would enjoy seeing your T-grin. thanks.

New Subj: Just in case, before I needed it, I ordered some touch up paint for my White MS. Ordered it from AutomotiveTouchup.com. They reported its been shipped Parcel Post (30 days to Hawaii) per Federal regulations mandate 2 oz or more must be sent using this method. Be advised it could take a while depending on quantity and where you order it. I'd rather you folks know in advance instead of need it and find it will take a month to get it.

Last edited:
Spleen. That detail job looks fantastic!! Let us know how well it maintains the shine after a few months of washing. May save me from slaving away at my own car with Zaino products.

I'm using Ziano too. I love it. I know about the thread that says Glare is the best, but most people can't even tell the difference by eye. Zaino is pretty easy to use and my car looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

RodF, Please post if you get a confirmation (and what time) for delivery this Saturday. I would enjoy seeing your T-grin. thanks.

New Subj: Just in case, before I needed it, I ordered some touch up paint for my White MS. Ordered it from AutomotiveTouchup.com. They reported its been shipped Parcel Post (30 days to Hawaii) per Federal regulations mandate 2 oz or more must be sent using this method. Be advised it could take a while depending on quantity and where you order it. I'd rather you folks know in advance instead of need it and find it will take a month to get it.

You can buy touch up paint from Tesla. Got mine for $20 from Luke at the service center. They had it in stock. You can also go to Tesla's website and order it.

Tinting was done through ProTint Hawaii. Llumar ATR 35 film, if I recall correctly, all around (except windshield). The pano was tinted with ATR 5 film, I think. Thanks for the kind comments, all! I too am curious to see how the polish holds up over time.

Did you have the pano roof tinted too or is it dark enough already? I had it done on my Audi so debating if i'll have the Tesla roof done too.

Did you have the pano roof tinted too or is it dark enough already? I had it done on my Audi so debating if i'll have the Tesla roof done too.

It was fairly dark already but SWMBO (that would be my mother, the primary driver of the automobile, and I suspect, part vampire) insisted that it was still too much sunlight in the car. I will say that heat transmission did cut down further with the tinting and I can actually look directly at the sun through the pano now, lol.

I'm using Ziano too. I love it. I know about the thread that says Glare is the best, but most people can't even tell the difference by eye. Zaino is pretty easy to use and my car looks good.

- - - Updated - - -

You can buy touch up paint from Tesla. Got mine for $20 from Luke at the service center. They had it in stock. You can also go to Tesla's website and order it.

Zaino is really good stuff. There's some steps you have to go through before the first application, but after that it's pretty easy to maintain. Always worked well for me when I had the S2000 and that car was black.

Thanks for the tip on the touch up paint via Tesla. Didn't know they sell it, and I'm gonna need it as I already have 2 chips on the front bumper that are eyesores when I'm detailing/washing the car.

Hodgeshawaii, Need a ride to the SC? I'd be happy to take you out there tomorrow. Let me know here, and when...

I never did thank you Akikiki for your kind offer of a ride to the SC. I didn't see your offer until I had gone as they had called me late Friday night to pick the car up. I was so surprised - when I drove it - my mind was clouded over.

Well - not much of an update - I have since tried to duplicate my experience with wind noise - and have purposely timed a few highway excursions - and I in fact do get increased wind noise to a level that bothers me somewhere around 65-75, depending on the relative wind bearing. I have tried to think back to what it was like the first day I drove it home - and postulate that my acceleration to ~ 70 when pulling on the Highway might have had a 90 relative wind speed as the wind was blowing between 15-25 that day. So I could've experience a gust/wind and my ground speed all to combine to give me 85-90 over the mirrors. Well, with so many folks saying how quiet the car is, as well as most car testing agencies - it also might be that it is a "DIFFERENT SOUND" and it might be in a frequency range that offends my tired and old ears. Be that as it may, it is what it is, and with my lack of really getting on the highway and somewhere nearing 99% in town - it is one of only a small handful of minor issues.

Thanks to whomever told me to put the creep on, steering to soft, and lower setting for re-generation - it helps the ride "FOR ME". Better. Part of my initial shock was I wasn't quite ready for a "stiffer suspension" and what turns out to be very positive steering. Perhaps the OLD man Mercedes feel has gotten into my driving habits.

Lastly, and perhaps - as one observer said, "when I get a real problem" - what has been related by others as a very warm back of the car where the kids seats are located has become the really big issue. I've had to pull over and take my 3 year old out of the back with perspiration running down his face. I had the car tinted this AM - put him in the seat today, at noon, - and waited for NO COMPLAINING. We drove about 4 blocks from Ward Center towards Waikiki and he started to complain about the heat - "AGAIN". I had previously tried several workarounds, (1) Turn AC on LO or 64 and high fan (2) Pre-Cool the car, or (3) crack rear windows to stir airflow. I've gotten to the point I just give up and will buy a regular car seat so I can move him into a comfortable seating environment. I noticed that - which I hadn't before - that because of the large screen - the AIR vents that one can usually adjust and send the air to the rear seat aren't in the middle of the dash. I then noticed that the controls do not allow the air to be directed to the center more than "straight out". This causes the drivers side one to blow directly into the top of my face/head - so in essence I'm driving around with a frozen head and my boy in the back is perspiring. I then noticed that the vents on the passenger side (nearest the screen) seem to point up higher than the drivers side....which appear to allow air to be directed higher. I need to go back to the SC and see if my vent can be corrected if installed incorrectly. I started to get frustrated again - so I opened the doors on my MB to see how many "air vents" are in it in the back - NONE. But there is a Screen over the rear sunroof and the back windows can be power-opened - not that they are needed other than to empty hot air when it's been sitting out in the sun. I also note that the back of the MS is slopped and the car seats in the rear and the child seats folded up result in a very small space between the seats and the top of the car-perhaps limiting air flow. I purposely had not gotten the PANO roof to avoid heating issues. I'm thinking that perhaps the space is too small to allow adequate flow - and there is no real way to circulate air to the rear. This is all just information for anyone planning to use Keiki seats in Hawaii. I'm now at the "I'm driving to Baby Emporium to buy another car seat" stage - and will just live with it.

So the list of things I like about the car are numerous and the interface is oh so great for an old man with failing vision. The best option I ordered was the "suspension" - I love being able to select "extra high" so I can pull nose first into parking spots and not worry about scraping the bottom or dinging the front. Too Cool.

Again, thanks. BTW my PLATE IS HI EV 2707 FYI - Pearl White

JKam, I didn't know the SC had it. But isn't it a paint pen? I was looking for a bit more volume than that. Sure hope I never need this stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

RodF, Great, I will be watching for your reply. It would be fun, but don't let it interfere with your plans.

Glare- Why not?
That's the question I'm pondering right now. A one-time paint surface treatment that keeps the paint looking shiny for 5 years sounds too good to be true. What are the down-sides? Does the glare look too shiny for some people?

I spoke with the gentleman at 20/20 today and he said there's no problem applying Glare to Teslas that have the paint guard already installed.

Your thoughts?

Papafox, I have the 5-year Glare as previously reported. It is supposed to bond to the clear coat in a way that greatly reduces UV penetration plus allows the car to retain its sheen after simply washing, without need for wax or sealer for about 5 years. It is definitely not too shiny. It seems just about right to my eye, very attractive, not much different than any nice wax or sealer. Photo attached.

My previous cars always suffered the ravages of UV in the Hawaiian sun. If there is at least a bit of truth in the Glare claims about long-term UV protection it will be well worth it to me. If it also saves some waxing or sealing after most washes that will be a welcome plus.
195.JPG

I never did thank you Akikiki for your kind offer of a ride to the SC. I didn't see your offer until I had gone as they had called me late Friday night to pick the car up. I was so surprised - when I drove it - my mind was clouded over.

Well - not much of an update - I have since tried to duplicate my experience with wind noise - and have purposely timed a few highway excursions - and I in fact do get increased wind noise to a level that bothers me somewhere around 65-75, depending on the relative wind bearing. I have tried to think back to what it was like the first day I drove it home - and postulate that my acceleration to ~ 70 when pulling on the Highway might have had a 90 relative wind speed as the wind was blowing between 15-25 that day. So I could've experience a gust/wind and my ground speed all to combine to give me 85-90 over the mirrors. Well, with so many folks saying how quiet the car is, as well as most car testing agencies - it also might be that it is a "DIFFERENT SOUND" and it might be in a frequency range that offends my tired and old ears. Be that as it may, it is what it is, and with my lack of really getting on the highway and somewhere nearing 99% in town - it is one of only a small handful of minor issues.

Thanks to whomever told me to put the creep on, steering to soft, and lower setting for re-generation - it helps the ride "FOR ME". Better. Part of my initial shock was I wasn't quite ready for a "stiffer suspension" and what turns out to be very positive steering. Perhaps the OLD man Mercedes feel has gotten into my driving habits.

Lastly, and perhaps - as one observer said, "when I get a real problem" - what has been related by others as a very warm back of the car where the kids seats are located has become the really big issue. I've had to pull over and take my 3 year old out of the back with perspiration running down his face. I had the car tinted this AM - put him in the seat today, at noon, - and waited for NO COMPLAINING. We drove about 4 blocks from Ward Center towards Waikiki and he started to complain about the heat - "AGAIN". I had previously tried several workarounds, (1) Turn AC on LO or 64 and high fan (2) Pre-Cool the car, or (3) crack rear windows to stir airflow. I've gotten to the point I just give up and will buy a regular car seat so I can move him into a comfortable seating environment. I noticed that - which I hadn't before - that because of the large screen - the AIR vents that one can usually adjust and send the air to the rear seat aren't in the middle of the dash. I then noticed that the controls do not allow the air to be directed to the center more than "straight out". This causes the drivers side one to blow directly into the top of my face/head - so in essence I'm driving around with a frozen head and my boy in the back is perspiring. I then noticed that the vents on the passenger side (nearest the screen) seem to point up higher than the drivers side....which appear to allow air to be directed higher. I need to go back to the SC and see if my vent can be corrected if installed incorrectly. I started to get frustrated again - so I opened the doors on my MB to see how many "air vents" are in it in the back - NONE. But there is a Screen over the rear sunroof and the back windows can be power-opened - not that they are needed other than to empty hot air when it's been sitting out in the sun. I also note that the back of the MS is slopped and the car seats in the rear and the child seats folded up result in a very small space between the seats and the top of the car-perhaps limiting air flow. I purposely had not gotten the PANO roof to avoid heating issues. I'm thinking that perhaps the space is too small to allow adequate flow - and there is no real way to circulate air to the rear. This is all just information for anyone planning to use Keiki seats in Hawaii. I'm now at the "I'm driving to Baby Emporium to buy another car seat" stage - and will just live with it.

So the list of things I like about the car are numerous and the interface is oh so great for an old man with failing vision. The best option I ordered was the "suspension" - I love being able to select "extra high" so I can pull nose first into parking spots and not worry about scraping the bottom or dinging the front. Too Cool.

Again, thanks. BTW my PLATE IS HI EV 2707 FYI - Pearl White

hodges, You are very welcome. I can relate to the my mind was clouded over comment. Me too. Don't let my offer sound too good. I am selfish. I would have gained the pleasure of seeing your Tesla grin. I am not the good guy you make me out to be. Thank you for the kindness.

BTW, you comment here "...send the air to the rear seat aren't in the middle of the dash" alerts me to something you might have missed. There are A/C vents in the opportunity console. In back, on the back side, seen from the back seat best, in the top of the center arm rest console, below the sliding pads over the cup holders, there are vents. Its easy to miss them. And Even more easy to bump the tab and close the vents. I guess part of the reason for these is to send conditioned air over the back of the back seats and to the rear. Did you notice them already?

On the subject of your air noise. There was a condition of air noise and buffetting back in Dec '12 and Jan '13 until it was identified. I would guess that a TB was sent to all SC's about how to adjust the rear hatch rubber bumpers/bolts to apply upward pressure against the hatch as the hatch pulls down tight. It seems there was many MSs that the bumpers were too low and caused the hatch to hump up and down. The air (most often noticed when the pano roof was open) causing air pressure changes and billowing and ear popping. Someone opened the hatch and drove with it partly propped open but secure and discovered this was the cause of many people's problem. Maybe yours is leaking in air just enough to be annoying? Worth a look, huh?

- - - Updated - - -

Papafox, I have the 5-year Glare as previously reported. It is supposed to bond to the clear coat in a way that greatly reduces UV penetration plus allows the car to retain its sheen after simply washing, without need for wax or sealer for about 5 years. It is definitely not too shiny. It seems just about right to my eye, very attractive, not much different than any nice wax or sealer. Photo attached.

My previous cars always suffered the ravages of UV in the Hawaiian sun. If there is at least a bit of truth in the Glare claims about long-term UV protection it will be well worth it to me. If it also saves some waxing or sealing after most washes that will be a welcome plus.
View attachment 22932

ddruz, This is simply put, a BEAUTIFUL car. Wow !

Ok, I got the call today! My car will be ready tomorrow, tentative appointment at 09:00 AM. He was supposed to send a followup email confirming the time. I did not receive the email, so I just sent one asking for confirmation. If I don't hear from him I will show up at 09:00 and hope for the best. If anything changes tonight or early tomorrow, I will post to this thread. Can't wait!

Ok, I got the call today! My car will be ready tomorrow, tentative appointment at 09:00 AM. He was supposed to send a followup email confirming the time. I did not receive the email, so I just sent one asking for confirmation. If I don't hear from him I will show up at 09:00 and hope for the best. If anything changes tonight or early tomorrow, I will post to this thread. Can't wait!

Congrats RodF! Try to get at least an hour of sleep tonight, hehe. Please tell us your reactions to driving your Tesla and include a photo at some point. I'm not far behind you!

ddruz, This is simply put, a BEAUTIFUL car. Wow !

ddruz, that photo tips the scales. I definitely see a 5 year glare treatment in my S's future.

Congrats RodF! The wait is almost over!

ddruz, car looks great..definitely thinking about getting it too. Anyone know anything about the glare interior stuff? Saw it on the website.

spleen, thanks for the input on the pano roof..guess I'll decide when I finally see my car :)

RodF, Cool ! I fully intend to be there. See you.

Status
Not open for further replies.