Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GRRRRRRR! I found another door ding on my car when I was washing it today. It chipped a little paint off, but it didn't leave a dent so maybe I can fix it with the paint pen. I'm getting sick and tired of careless/inconsiderate/thoughtless people banging my car! I already have one nasty door ding which chipped paint and left a dent. I also have some bumper kisses on the back from other cars that left three nicks.

I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN AND MAKE YOU PAY!

i know how you feel! I just got bumper-kissed yesterday while I was in the car! On Kalanianaole Hwy there was bumper-to-bumper traffic and I'm stopped at a light when an elderly chap in a black Mercedes SLK rolled at a very low rate of speed into my bumper. I almost jumped out of my car to confront him about it, but the light turned green, and it was a small bump so I thought most likely no damage. I washed the car today and see the very faintest nick in the paint almost dead center on the bumper. UGH!!!

GRRRRRRR! I found another door ding on my car when I was washing it today. It chipped a little paint off, but it didn't leave a dent so maybe I can fix it with the paint pen. I'm getting sick and tired of careless/inconsiderate/thoughtless people banging my car! I already have one nasty door ding which chipped paint and left a dent. I also have some bumper kisses on the back from other cars that left three nicks.

Ouch! I've been super careful and so far, so good - no nicks. But I know that inevitably it will happen.

Ugh, more reason to install PPF on the entire car.

i know how you feel! I just got bumper-kissed yesterday while I was in the car! On Kalanianaole Hwy there was bumper-to-bumper traffic and I'm stopped at a light when an elderly chap in a black Mercedes SLK rolled at a very low rate of speed into my bumper. I almost jumped out of my car to confront him about it, but the light turned green, and it was a small bump so I thought most likely no damage. I washed the car today and see the very faintest nick in the paint almost dead center on the bumper. UGH!!!

I too have a couple tiny nicks on my bumper..am so sad especially since it was my fault...didn't pull my car in far enough so the garage door hinge got a part of it :crying: Paint film got peeled off so I guess protected it to some extent...gonna have to have the film redone and am hoping a body shop can fix the little nicks..any shop recommendations ?

I've had Dent Doctor's service one of our Navigator's recently and was quite pleased with the result. They took out two "ping" impact dents (the kind that have a sharp impact point) from other's opening their doors and hitting the vehicle. The result is virtually undetectable repair. It's a black car so it's virtually impossibly to make it disappear 100%, however, I'd say they're 98% gone...you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know they were there--only I can see them...and that's only if I make it a point to. They said that the Navigator was harder to fix as they use thicker steel for the panels than most vehicles, so I imagine that the MS with it's aluminum panels will be easier for them to repair and perhaps achieve a 100% new look (depending on the color of the car).

I too have a couple tiny nicks on my bumper..am so sad especially since it was my fault...didn't pull my car in far enough so the garage door hinge got a part of it :crying: Paint film got peeled off so I guess protected it to some extent...gonna have to have the film redone and am hoping a body shop can fix the little nicks..any shop recommendations ?

FWIW when I first got my car I noticed a small dent in the hood. I called the SC, and Barry subbed it out to Mirage Paintless Dent Repair. They removed the dent onsite at my office parking garage. Did an excellent job!

FWIW when I first got my car I noticed a small dent in the hood. I called the SC, and Barry subbed it out to Mirage Paintless Dent Repair. They removed the dent onsite at my office parking garage. Did an excellent job!

Thanks mmartin and RodF for the suggestions. I contacted Luke and he referred me to the body shop they use. He thinks they'll be able to fix the nicks. Bummer part though is i'll have to have the whole bumper redone with the PPF.

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

Thanks mmartin and RodF for the suggestions. I contacted Luke and he referred me to the body shop they use. He thinks they'll be able to fix the nicks. Bummer part though is i'll have to have the whole bumper redone with the PPF.

Good to know, I thought Mirage was the shop they normally used. Maybe it was just for dentless repair. Can you let us know who they send the body work to?

Some locations don't allow much choice for defensive parking, but in the strip malls where I have lunch I can park either in the areas where most parking spots are full or in the back row where you typically find shiny black pickup trucks and camaros parked in every other spot. This is the "defensive ding-avoidance parking zone" and I've never had a problem in this row. I always figure the driver with the SUV and 6 kids is not going to walk that far to the destination and has no interest parking on the back row. Big shopping centers such as Ala Moana also offer areas that are not particularly popular for parking and I seek these areas out.

Good to know, I thought Mirage was the shop they normally used. Maybe it was just for dentless repair. Can you let us know who they send the body work to?

They recommend O’Sung Auto Body in Kalihi. I think Barry has known them for a long time. They fixed my sunroof appliqué for Tesla when it had to replaced. I'll let everyone know how they are.

Did the same thing multiple times on my old car. With the Model S though I check the rear view camera when I finish parking to make sure my car is all the way in.

Did the same thing multiple times on my old car. With the Model S though I check the rear view camera when I finish parking to make sure my car is all the way in.

good idea. I have a little stop sign thing at the front of my car that flashes when I tap it. For the first time since i've had the car, I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice I hadn't activated it :(

For my garage, I found a small red laser beam that mounts on the ceiling and shines down. I positioned the beam so it strikes the dash as I back in. When the red beam matches the place on the dash where the car is all the way in, then I can close the door. But this is my primary method. The garage door detection/stop beam can be adjusted so it's higher or lower to match the place on the car's front or back that sticks out the most. AND then there's the old tennis ball hanging from the center of the ceiling too. Ya just can't risk the car getting a nick, ya know?

There's a small line that has formed where my garage door meets the floor. I just put her in reverse and edge slowly until the line is right at the edge of my view in the camera and I'm always 3 inches away from where the door will close.

In my garage, I put up one of those foam floor mats, folded in half and screwed into the wall to protect my bumper. I also did the tennis ball thing. Had to move my ladders up that were hanging on the wall so that I could open my frunk without bumping the hood. With doing this and parking at an angle, I get a good foot of clearance from the garage door.

- - - Updated - - -

FYI. I ordered the 2nd row cup holder. It is going to be delivered to the SC. I'll send some photos of what it looks like and let you know how it works.

Had my 2nd row cup holders installed today. Very nice. Made of leather. They snap flat and totally out of the way or snap fully open to a decent sized fixed circumference. They can also be pulled taught around smaller circumference bottles if desired but don't snap to any other sizes except fully open.

I drove around a lot tonight with a tall water bottle in one snapped fully open. The bottle's circumference was smaller than the strap and there was a fair amount of play. Despite the loose fit and extension of the bottle far above the strap I was unable to topple the bottle despite some "spirited" driving, zippy cornering and driving over a number of rough roads.

My impression is that most but not all bottles/cups will be held upright by these. Not so sure how well these will work with small kids but they should be effective for adults even if somewhat out of the ordinary.

Had my 2nd row cup holders installed today. Very nice. Made of leather. They snap flat and totally out of the way or snap fully open to a decent sized fixed circumference. They can also be pulled taught around smaller circumference bottles if desired but don't snap to any other sizes except fully open.

I drove around a lot tonight with a tall water bottle in one snapped fully open. The bottle's circumference was smaller than the strap and there was a fair amount of play. Despite the loose fit and extension of the bottle far above the strap I was unable to topple the bottle despite some "spirited" driving, zippy cornering and driving over a number of rough roads.

My impression is that most but not all bottles/cups will be held upright by these. Not so sure how well these will work with small kids but they should be effective for adults even if somewhat out of the ordinary.

Looking forward to seeing these. Thanks for the report!

I've used my outdoor car cover several times now, and I have finally got the hang of it. First couple of times, I'd lay it out across the car from hood to trunk, but when I tried to secure one end, the whole thing would slide off the car (damn that turtle wax!). I finally figured out that I have to hook the cover over the mirrors first. That keeps it in place so I can stretch the elastic over the bumpers on either end without pulling the whole thing off! First couple of times were quite comical!

Status
Not open for further replies.