Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight condensation housing replaced without DRL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my headlamp replaced due to condensation on my 2013 S85 without tech package. My car previously had DRL as a standard option but with halogen headlamps. The service center informed me of the halogen lights being discontinued therefore they would have to replace my headlights with xenons (hooray!). However, my service advisor wasn't aware that the replacement would not have DRLs with it and did not relay that to me. I found this out after I received my car back. Now, although I am happy with the much improved lighting of the xenons, I am missing my DRLs feature which I find to be one of the nice accent features of a model S. I have reached out to the service center and my advisor says he does not have the authority to replace my headlamps because the cost exceeds his limitations. I've reached out to the service manager through emails and have not received a response.

Does anyone know what I can do? Is it wrong of me to want my DRLs back? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: This is the Buena Park, CA service center

Yeah, I have the xenon without DRL. It's definitely not the LEF headlamps. I had the eyebrow DRLs before the replacement. I guess for a period of time they were making xenon headlamps without DRLs
That's pretty strange. Xenon headlights without DRLs are pretty rare. If I recall, the only way to get them that way was to have taken delivery after April 2013 and before approximately September 2013 and to not have selected the Technology Package.

If they discontinued the halogens, are they really maintaining a separate part for Xenon - DRLs, also a rare combo?

I didn't even know that option existed? No DRLs?

Edit: I made a post about how to switch your halogens with HIDs awhile back. If you are able to swap to your old headlights or something (condensation free) then you could order aftermarket HIDs and put them in.

That's pretty strange. Xenon headlights without DRLs are pretty rare. If I recall, the only way to get them that way was to have taken delivery after April 2013 and before approximately September 2013 and to not have selected the Technology Package.

If they discontinued the halogens, are they really maintaining a separate part for Xenon - DRLs, also a rare combo?
I also remember that rare period where xenons didn't have DRLs but thought that they would replace my headlights with DRL since I had them already.

I also remember that rare period where xenons didn't have DRLs but thought that they would replace my headlights with DRL since I had them already.
I wonder if it's a hardware limitation. I think someone in another thread said the new LED headlights have the same connectors as the older lights, but have additional pins populated. I wonder if something like that is at play here: the replacement headlights actually have the DRL hardware, but the wiring has changed and they can't be bolted to your vehicle without harness changes?

A puzzling situation, to be sure. If I were you, I'd call the SC and ask for more detailed information about where the limitation exists.

image.jpeg
I wonder if it's a hardware limitation. I think someone in another thread said the new LED headlights have the same connectors as the older lights, but have additional pins populated. I wonder if something like that is at play here: the replacement headlights actually have the DRL hardware, but the wiring has changed and they can't be bolted to your vehicle without harness changes?

A puzzling situation, to be sure. If I were you, I'd call the SC and ask for more detailed information about where the limitation exists.
I've attached a photo of my headlight and it definitely does not look similar to one with DRL. The eyebrow area is not as translucent as headlights with DRL. I'm aware of the face lifted opaque eyebrow but this is different.

Indeed, that does look different. On headlights with DRLs you can kind of sort of see the individual light cells behind the diffuser. That's a bit more (but not completely) opaque.

I'd be happy to have the Xenon, but cranky about the lost DRLs. Especially if done without informing you. If I had to choose one or the other the Xenon/No-DRL is a better option, IMO, but you still lost a feature you had. Your only option is to take it up with the SC/Regional Manger if you're unhappy, though.

Did they remove the DRL button on the Control page, or leave it as a cruel reminder?

The missing DRLs were a very early production thing I believe. I think Tesla quickly realized that they were a trademark of the car. That's one of the easiest ways to identify an oncoming Model S.

I think you have every right to get headlights with DRLs. Tesla's cost difference (to them) between a halogen and HID light truly is negligible on a car by car basis. So while the HIDs might be a substantial upgrade to you, it doesn't represent this huge increase in expense incurred by Tesla. Likewise, if the halogen capsules are no longer available that is their problem, not yours. And the oddity here is that the lights they gave you are the true rarity. So few cars would have HIDs but not the DRLs.

I would force the issue on this and explain to them that they took away a feature that your car already had. Be polite but firm. They will take care of it though. I have confidence they're not going to tell you to pound sand over something this obvious.