Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight Issue and Auto-leveling headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an issue with my HID headlights on my 2013 P85 VIN 26XXX. Usually in wet or moist conditions, one or both of the projectors would shut off - one trip in the wet between Mountain VIew and Santa Cruz, one or both lights cut out 4 times. Work-around was to go to settings, shut off the lights, then restart. It was determined that the igniter was defective and both were replace (~$2,000).

When I got the car back, the headlights were out of adjustment, the driver's side is clearly a squirrel hunter. The thing is I clearly remember the headlights being auto-leveling/or self-leveling (I have the tech package with cornering lights). Service is stating I did not. I believe I have dashcam somewhere in my archive that should prove otherwise (I know its not lamp warm up or suspension leveling), but is there any other way to prove this to service? Any suggestions would be appreciated or am I crazy?

I had an issue with my HID headlights on my 2013 P85 VIN 26XXX. Usually in wet or moist conditions, one or both of the projectors would shut off - one trip in the wet between Mountain VIew and Santa Cruz, one or both lights cut out 4 times. Work-around was to go to settings, shut off the lights, then restart. It was determined that the igniter was defective and both were replace (~$2,000).

When I got the car back, the headlights were out of adjustment, the driver's side is clearly a squirrel hunter. The thing is I clearly remember the headlights being auto-leveling/or self-leveling (I have the tech package with cornering lights). Service is stating I did not. I believe I have dashcam somewhere in my archive that should prove otherwise (I know its not lamp warm up or suspension leveling), but is there any other way to prove this to service? Any suggestions would be appreciated or am I crazy?

Pretty sure they are not auto-leveling. I've been working on my headlights over the past few days to realign them and there are manual adjustments for vertical and horizontal alignment. There is nothing that I can see that will automatically do this. It could have just been your air suspension auto-leveling. Good luck and let me know if you need more info on how to adjust yourself.

Pretty sure Tesla never released auto leveling headlights, ever.

They now release turning lights (with steering wheel for night time driving), but that's as of ~'16, and definitely was not there in ~'13.