Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlight randomly turning off HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First off I love this forum. Thanks to everyone who participates. So I have a 2012 P85. Recently I’ve noticed my passenger headlight going off randomly while I’m driving. I turn of the headlight and then turn them back on and it comes on. Has anyone had this happen before? I guess I just don’t want to be ignoring a warning sign for something bigger like my 12v battery dying or a short in the wiring that could ruin another system. My windshield washer fluid won’t pump out anymore either which I’m sure is unrelated but I should mention that I carry one of my old wheels as a spare in the frunk. I don’t know where the wiring for those two items run but could my spare be pinching something beneath the frunk? Sorry for rambling just want to give as much info as possible. thanks in advance for all the help.

Yes - this happened to me in my 2014 Tesla Model S. One time, both headlights went out late at night. I had to quickly use the controls to turn the lights off and then back to auto and they came back on. This is an indicator that your halogen bulbs are going out. I paid someone to change them out, but I do not think he is doing it anymore. Tesla wants $1,000 to fix them, but hopefully you can find someone who knows how to take the old bulbs out and replace them.

Brent

• Helpful
Reactions: brkaus
You do not have to completely remove the liner. Just remove enough of the plastic clips to allow you to bend/pull the liner away enough to reach the back of the headlight housing to replace the bulb. If you’ve never done this before then jacking the car up and removing he wheel will make it much easier on you. Having replaced the HID bulbs multiple times now, the job can be done by putting the suspension to Very High and cranking the wheel inward.
Definitely a DIY job, but can be annoying so if you just want it fixed, a Mobile Ranger visit would be best.

Mine were doing the same thing. You have to pull the front wheel liners out to access them from underneath. It is not difficult. DO NOT pay someone $1000 to change them for you. I'll do it for $500 ;)

But seriously. It's an hour job tops with bulbs from Amazon.

Here's what I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008BRJ712/

Awesome!! Thanks so much.
You do not have to completely remove the liner. Just remove enough of the plastic clips to allow you to bend/pull the liner away enough to reach the back of the headlight housing to replace the bulb. If you’ve never done this before then jacking the car up and removing he wheel will make it much easier on you. Having replaced the HID bulbs multiple times now, the job can be done by putting the suspension to Very High and cranking the wheel inward.
Definitely a DIY job, but can be annoying so if you just want it fixed, a Mobile Ranger visit would be best.

‘definitely going to be done by me. Thank for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator: