Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights always on in Auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the lights are set to auto my headlights stay on day and night. Is this normal for the UK?

Also the auto-dim function does not work, again does any one else have this problem?

They are incredibly light sensitive so do spend most of their time on. Assuming you mean the dash and main screen dimming mine is fine. Settings are to auto from memory.

As far as auto dim goes, remember that it’s auto dim and not auto bright. The stalk needs to be pushed forward to the position that turns the high beams on and left there all the time. When the high beams are on and the car senses a car in front of you then it will automatically dim the lights by turning off the high beams.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I'm getting confused (not uncommon). What's auto bright/auto dim? I'm familiar with high beam/low beam which was made automatic by pushing the stalk away from you, but that's not the same as auto dim?
high beams are sometimes referred to as brights here in the US
slide_36.jpg

Reactions: DJP31
I was talking about both the auto headlight in the first sentence and the auto dip (or whatever its called) in the second.

I have found like you that the headlights fail to turn off in all but the brightest days so have taken to turning them off.

have taken to turning them off

Any reason not to drive with lights on all the time?

I known I'm an old codger, but to my way of thinking anything that alerts an oncoming driver, who isn't concentrating for whatever reason, that little bit sooner is worth having.

Which I suppose is how Volvo started daytime-lights-on all those years ago (when they swapped road-sides IIRC) which everyone else thought, at the time, was weird ...

Not the answer to your question however ...

I have a similar effect with my MS regarding the auto-headlights. The daytime running lights are hardly ever the only lights on, unless its sunglasses bight (which is a shame as they look great). Even just now, I went out at lunch on a bright day in Hemel Hempstead and it turned the dipped headlights on as if it was late evening. It could do with a sensitivity setting like the Qashqai.
But at least it's biased towards over sensitive rather than under sensitive, so they are on when needed.

Regarding the auto-highbeam, that works ok. A little slow to react, but due to the reletvely low power of the Tesla headlights in the UK, I doubt they blind many people :)

Now... i just need to wait for hometime. I love driving that car!

This must be a new feature (do AP2 cars use the vision system to tell when it's dark rather than a sensor?).

My pre-AP car has never turned on the headlights unreasonably - indeed it keeps them off in situations where in a manual car I would have turned them on (but I'm OK with that as the DRLs are quite bright).

Agree with the comment regarding the "Auto":
>>They are incredibly light sensitive so do spend most of their time on.

Have AP2, 75D, and mine are typically on for most of the time, unless in unshaded areas and pretty bright. As a note, already had a headlight replace as part of the filament went (which seems to be a common issue with some of the cars in the demo shops & centres) - whole unit has to be replaced. On a positive, at least don;t have to have anything on them when go onto the continent.

This just happened to me. No problems with the headlights turning on during the day when on "auto" until yesterday (after 5 months/4K miles). I just did a computer reset and hopefully that will take care of the problem - will test it tomorrow morning.