Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights will not turn on, help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EclecticCitizen

House call doctor for families.
Apr 15, 2013
Alexandria, VA
I have a early 2013 S, and over the weekend the headlights stopped working.
DRL work but headlights and hight beams will not turn on using Auto feature or manual override. I can hear the high beam clunk when I pull on the control stalk, but no lights. Park lights work.

I called roadside assistance since it was night when I noticed and unsafe to drive. They put a message in to my local service center to call me this morning, but no call so far.

Computer reset and car power off both had no effect.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Any insight into what could be going on?

Thanks,
Matt

What about turn signals and brake lights? Emergency flashers? I assume the picture on the dash or in the settings on the main screen show no headlights as well? Maybe a fuse blew? But if that was the case, I would think both DRL and headlights would both go out.

Best of luck and hope it turns out to be something simple. Let us know what the fix was.

I hope it's as simple as a fuse, thanks! Would be nice if we got spare fuses like spare fob batteries at annual inspection/service.

Would fuse issue be obvious if I look at that panel? I've never dealt with car fuses, but if analogous to home fuse box, should be obvious which one blew, right?

Turn signals are working. Hazard lights work fine too. Just main headlights and high beams not turning on.

They need to look at my rear axle/drive unit again anyway, so silver lining is that the light issue got me in quickly. Just sucks to have a rental instead of a loaner S.

Car diagram has them off too...

So got a text from service. They just said they replaced both regular headlights (conspicuously left out mention of high beams although those weren't working either).

Sooo, something blew both lights simultaneously or did they supposedly just burn out at the same time? Anyone see this occur before?

Shouldn't the fuse have triggered to prevent a surge that would blow both lamps together?

I'll see what service says when I get it back.

I'll probably post on a different thread, but side not, they are going to replace my drive unit again (5th) and probably rear axles for 2nd time in 6 months. This has to be an outlier. I requested a new drive unit, not a refurbished original design. THey have to get regional mgr approval and order parts either way, so waiting game now.

They just said they replaced both regular headlights (conspicuously left out mention of high beams although those weren't working either).

If your 2013 S has HID lights (which they likely do unless you don't have the tech pkg and other variables), then there are no separate bulbs/filaments for high-beams vs. low beams. Xenon HIDs use a gate to block/allow part of the light and that is how you get high-beams in newer headlights.

Got my car back temporarily while they order a new cup holder assembly and drive unit and possibly axles too.

They replaced both halogen bulbs. And Cyclone was correct, no separate bulb/filament for high beams.
No fuse blown, so they are saying both burned out simultaneously, and one employee commented that they've seen this before.

@whitecotton, no I do not have the "headlights on after exit" turned on.

I asked them to check on front brakes sqeaking and they ended up replacing bilateral brake pads, rotors, caliper spring kits. I'm at 44,400 miles. Sound about right to replace? Mike was surprised that was needed already.

Reactions: Cyclone
asked them to check on front brakes sqeaking and they ended up replacing bilateral brake pads, rotors, caliper spring kits. I'm at 44,400 miles. Sound about right to replace? Mike was surprised that was needed already.
Mine is at 82K miles with no brake part replacement other than a fluid change at the last annual service. So I'd say that was surprising too.

I searched and this is the only thread with pretty much the same problem I have but replacing the headlights bulbs will not solve the issue in my case.
Mine is a 2012 Signature P85 with HID bulbs.
All the exterior lights work except the headlights low or high beams, regardless if I use auto or the manual option.
If I turn the lights off and then on they briefly come on and then off again. The selection on the screen stays though. This happens sometimes and mostly right after I get in the car. I can manually reproduce the brief lights on only a couple of times and then it doesn’t do anything. The cluster displays the same I behaviour I see, a short light on.
I can hear the rely but no light at all when I pull the stalk.
It must be something with the light controller or something like that.
Any thoughts? What should I check?

Thanks nativespineer, good point, as I had this problem on BMW. In this case the ballasts were good.
Update: The solution the OP posted is the right one. The bulbs needed to be replaced. Apparently, the Xenon bulbs in my case had a little life left in them that made me to believe it was a different problem. But they eventually died completely. I replaced the bulbs with D3S for mine and all back to normal now. Just make sure you get the right one for your car.

Just to clarify for those like me who run the first time into a bulb issue.
I am used to BMW where all the messages like this are displayed. Tesla has no warning message to let me know that a bulb was out however, the cluster displays the right information by showing the car with no headlights. I installed one bulb and then checked the cluster and there was only one showing on.
Interesting is that it shows you a few warning messages for the tire pressure but it let's you drive with no lights. Now I know.

Last edited: