TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Headlights will not turn on, help!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by EclecticCitizen, Nov 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. EclecticCitizen

EclecticCitizen House call doctor for families.

I have a early 2013 S, and over the weekend the headlights stopped working.
    DRL work but headlights and hight beams will not turn on using Auto feature or manual override. I can hear the high beam clunk when I pull on the control stalk, but no lights. Park lights work.

I called roadside assistance since it was night when I noticed and unsafe to drive. They put a message in to my local service center to call me this morning, but no call so far.

Computer reset and car power off both had no effect.

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Any insight into what could be going on?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

What about turn signals and brake lights? Emergency flashers? I assume the picture on the dash or in the settings on the main screen show no headlights as well? Maybe a fuse blew? But if that was the case, I would think both DRL and headlights would both go out.

Best of luck and hope it turns out to be something simple. Let us know what the fix was.

3. green1

green1 Active Member

I'd guess a fuse. It's quite likely that the headlights and DRL are on a separate fuse.

4. EclecticCitizen

I hope it's as simple as a fuse, thanks! Would be nice if we got spare fuses like spare fob batteries at annual inspection/service.

Would fuse issue be obvious if I look at that panel? I've never dealt with car fuses, but if analogous to home fuse box, should be obvious which one blew, right?

Turn signals are working. Hazard lights work fine too. Just main headlights and high beams not turning on.

They need to look at my rear axle/drive unit again anyway, so silver lining is that the light issue got me in quickly. Just sucks to have a rental instead of a loaner S.

5. whitex

whitex Active Member

Check your owner's manual to see which fuse is for headlights.

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

When the lights are supposed to be on, does the car diagram in the center of the instrument cluster have it's headlights on, or are they off too?

7. EclecticCitizen

Car diagram has them off too...

So got a text from service. They just said they replaced both regular headlights (conspicuously left out mention of high beams although those weren't working either).

Sooo, something blew both lights simultaneously or did they supposedly just burn out at the same time? Anyone see this occur before?

Shouldn't the fuse have triggered to prevent a surge that would blow both lamps together?

I'll see what service says when I get it back.

I'll probably post on a different thread, but side not, they are going to replace my drive unit again (5th) and probably rear axles for 2nd time in 6 months. This has to be an outlier. I requested a new drive unit, not a refurbished original design. THey have to get regional mgr approval and order parts either way, so waiting game now.

8. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

So are you saying they just replaced the bulbs themselves? Do you have HIDs or regular halogens?

9. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

If your 2013 S has HID lights (which they likely do unless you don't have the tech pkg and other variables), then there are no separate bulbs/filaments for high-beams vs. low beams. Xenon HIDs use a gate to block/allow part of the light and that is how you get high-beams in newer headlights.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. whitecotton

whitecotton Member

On a side note, do you have the "headlights on after exit" feature turned on?

I am still learning the more advanced things that come along with HID bulbs, could the constant on/off add unnecessary wear on the bulbs?

11. EclecticCitizen

Got my car back temporarily while they order a new cup holder assembly and drive unit and possibly axles too.

They replaced both halogen bulbs. And Cyclone was correct, no separate bulb/filament for high beams.
    No fuse blown, so they are saying both burned out simultaneously, and one employee commented that they've seen this before.

@whitecotton, no I do not have the "headlights on after exit" turned on.

I asked them to check on front brakes sqeaking and they ended up replacing bilateral brake pads, rotors, caliper spring kits. I'm at 44,400 miles. Sound about right to replace? Mike was surprised that was needed already.

• Like x 1
  12. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Mine is at 82K miles with no brake part replacement other than a fluid change at the last annual service. So I'd say that was surprising too.