Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Well, I'm finding my Canadian Model S may or may not actually turn OFF headlights when commanded. This is relatively new to me. This turning headlight switch to OFF and headlights go ON behavior started sometime before V8, I noticed it maybe a month or two in advance, and now, with v8 the behavior has not changed. Still "random" ability to actually turn off headlights. I've had the car for 2 years and it didn't used to be like this!

I have not figured out the circumstances that, when sometimes turning the headlight switch to OFF, my headlights will actually go ON... Or if they were on, will remain on. And the switch is sitting there in the OFF position. Lately (looking at reflections more closely in storefront glass) I noticed that it's just the main headlight lens/bulb that goes ON when this happens, and not the whole complex with white LED surrounds.

Sometimes, I slide the switch to OFF, and they go OFF. As I'm sitting there in the driver's seat. Other times, no.

When I exit the car, the lights always go off.

When it happens, I can select other settings and they all do what you'd expect. Parking, just the LED surrounds and amber lights go on, "ON" and the headlights go on, "AUTO" and the headlights will go on if it's dark outside or not if it's light outside.

The state of the headlights are shown on the control screen UI correctly to reflect what is actually going on outside the car with the lamps. So it's not just false report on the UI. The function is malformed somehow.

It is truly bizarre!

Here are variables I've been playing with... and have not been able to isolate the case. I think I'll get random ability to turn headlights off with any mix of:
- amount of ambient / daylight
- time of day
- while in Park
- while driving
- driving or parking for a certain amount of time
- range mode on/off
- headlights remain on after exit (convenience setting)

The fact that it is sometimes possible to turn off headlights, makes it seem like a bug. I just can't correlate to when I'm allowed to (?!) use the switch and have it do as it says.

If I could never turn off headlights because of some DRL regulation in Canada, I would expect similar results all the time. And I'd call this an "unwelcome feature" because it is a poor interpretation of DRL regulations where I live. Oodles of modern cars use LED surrounds as DRL.

Tesla: when you give a user a control, OFF means OFF !! No if's and's or but's... just do it please.

Grey the control out, or grey out the position of the slider and don't allow it to slide there, or show the slider going back to the "ON" position all by iteself.. if in fact your interpretation is that headlights are currently not allowed to be switched off. At least, finish the UI the way a UI is supposed to work.

Or, fix your headlight off bug.

Anybody else?

Last edited:
Do you have "Headlights on after exit" turned on or off in settings? In the US cars, people found that this setting would override the "off" setting and thus, some wondered why the headlights stayed on for a period of time after putting the car in park, even if they choose "off".

FYI "headlights after exit" feature is turned off.

I've narrowed the stupidity down and isolated the case where it happens!

Day or night, doesn't matter ambient lighting...

If I'm driving (with R or D selected) and I turn headlight switch off, the low beams will go off, every time. And then put the car in Park "P" selected, they will stay off. Great, good.

If I'm at rest (with P selected) and I turn the headlights to anything and then back to off, the low beams will come on with the switch in the OFF position and they will stay on until I exit, or change the switch to some other position. Every time. Stoopid bug.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone
Has anyone found their headlights are now staying on during the day, regardless of the setting? I hadn't noticed this before, so I'm not sure if it's a recent software update related to a California requirement for daytime running lights, a software bug, or the sensor is broke.

Changing the setting between "On" and "Automatic", while parked or driving, has no effect.

Seems to be fixed in 2.50.114 …prior to that, if you were in park and wanted to turn the headlights off, you had to put the car into drive, turn off the lights and, then shift back to park.

Has anyone found their headlights are now staying on during the day, regardless of the setting?

Changing the setting between "On" and "Automatic", while parked or driving, has no effect.

Yes. I have an AP 2.0 hardware and just got the key fob, EQ, auto headlight firmware update. With it the lights stay on no matters what the conditions are. I guess there automatic ;)

update

Today the lights did shut off for a short period during daytime driving. It seems that the sensors require very bright conditions for them to turn off the head lights.
My exact experience. The regular lights seem to be on 99% of the time even midday. I was told by Tempe Service Center that it is....yes, you guessed it: a known firmware issue. I am beginning to think everything's a known firmware issue. So fix it!!!

Reactions: Boatguy
So, I got the windows tinted on the 14th, washed the car on the 15th, then noticed the automatic setting seemed to start working that day... car was clean before, and it seems bizarre the window tinters did something to fix the problem....