Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up display stopped working after last software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is exactly what I don't like about tesla. Cutting the instrument panel to save a few bucks and differentiate it with their model S,X to not cannibalize their own product. People have to resort to 3rd party upgrades to resolve it. When an issue rises, support will be difficult on both sides. If tesla cares about money, they could just make the instrument panel another $500 option.

Reactions: KidHorn
That is exactly what I don't like about tesla. Cutting the instrument panel to save a few bucks and differentiate it with their model S,X to not cannibalize their own product. People have to resort to 3rd party upgrades to resolve it. When an issue rises, support will be difficult on both sides. If tesla cares about money, they could just make the instrument panel another $500 option.
No one 'needs' a HUD. If you don't like the interior style, don't buy a Tesla!

I don't miss an instrument panel screen for a moment and I really don't care what the reason was not to put one in the Model 3/Y.
Those that don't like one not being there just don't like change I suppose.

This is my gripe. I want a HUD because I find it safer to not have to look to the side to see how fast I'm going. Also, the HUD has Android Auto, So I can look at a map in a safer manner. I don't have to have a HUD, but I prefer it. I don't need AC either, but I like having it. My only option was to use a 3rd party product. Tesla makes software changes without notifying their partners and giving them time to handle it. What other car company does this? it would be like if GM had made a software change and then all radios that weren't AC Delco stopped working. There would have been outrage. But since we're used to Tesla having terrible support, we accept it and blame the consumer.

This is my gripe. I want a HUD because I find it safer to not have to look to the side to see how fast I'm going. Also, the HUD has Android Auto, So I can look at a map in a safer manner. I don't have to have a HUD, but I prefer it. I don't need AC either, but I like having it. My only option was to use a 3rd party product. Tesla makes software changes without notifying their partners and giving them time to handle it. What other car company does this? it would be like if GM had made a software change and then all radios that weren't AC Delco stopped working. There would have been outrage. But since we're used to Tesla having terrible support, we accept it and blame the consumer.
Tesla does not have a partner which makes HUDs, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.
You honestly think looking in a slightly different place to check your speed is less safe? How so? There are many things you may have to glance at in all cars which aren't presented to you anywhere near your eye-line.
I find the whole discussion about the Model 3's speed display puzzling TBH.
And if anyone's really worried about exceeding the posted limit, just set the warning chime.

Last edited:
This is my gripe. I want a HUD because I find it safer to not have to look to the side to see how fast I'm going. Also, the HUD has Android Auto, So I can look at a map in a safer manner. I don't have to have a HUD, but I prefer it. I don't need AC either, but I like having it. My only option was to use a 3rd party product. Tesla makes software changes without notifying their partners and giving them time to handle it.
You still don't get it. THEY ARE NOT PARTNERS! The Chinese companies just reverse engineered some internal CANBUS messages. Tesla never partnered with them and does not have their own OEM equivalent either. It is entirely up to those Chinese manufacturers to support their own product. That's why as others mentioned you should buy one that supports firmware updates and has a history of providing them.
What other car company does this? it would be like if GM had made a software change and then all radios that weren't AC Delco stopped working. There would have been outrage. But since we're used to Tesla having terrible support, we accept it and blame the consumer.
That's not what is happening. You are adding a display that there is no OEM equivalent. It would more be like if you added a separate amateur ham radio, and it breaks with a software update. GM is not responsible because they never supported ham radio, nor do they have a OEM equivalent. The accessory manufacturers that make regular radio would still be working.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanDi58
It IS weird that CAN bus messages are moved like that, it's not typical because cars are normally "stagnant" after you buy them. This is not a car though, it's a computer on wheels where everything can change. This only works because software updates push an update to each and every component of the car simultaneously otherwise changing CAN channels would probably screw everything up. But again, Tesla doesn't owe anything to anyone here, they can do as they please. It's not a public/official supported api, it's internal.

Reverse engineering, although great because it provides us with products like this, is always prone to such issues.

I'm having the same problem, and don't know how to fix. I fear that this device is bricked. Let me know if you discover anything.

These third party Chinese vendors regularly fill needs that Tesla is unwilling to address. However in some cases, they may be on shaky legal standings because they must reverse engineer Tesla software to integrate it. In this case, I didn't care because the "heads up display" made me a safer driver. I'm still amazed at the Tesla Fanboy Autobots who incessantly assert that Tesla's are perfect from the factory despite data and user experience.

I'm having the same problem, and don't know how to fix. I fear that this device is bricked. Let me know if you discover anything.

These third party Chinese vendors regularly fill needs that Tesla is unwilling to address. However in some cases, they may be on shaky legal standings because they must reverse engineer Tesla software to integrate it. In this case, I didn't care because the "heads up display" made me a safer driver. I'm still amazed at the Tesla Fanboy Autobots who incessantly assert that Tesla's are perfect from the factory despite data and user experience.
I'm still amazed at people that buy a product from a third party vendor and when it bricks due to a Tesla SW update incessantly assert that it's Tesla's fault the car they bought didn't have that feature to begin with.

I'm still amazed at people that buy a product from a third party vendor and when it bricks due to a Tesla SW update incessantly assert that it's Tesla's fault the car they bought didn't have that feature to begin with.
I'm not blaming Tesla at all; did it sound like I was? Tesla is ethically entitled to update their software without considering third parties.

Now, I'm dissapointed that Tesla doesn't offer a heads up display (HUD). My BMW has a HUD, and it enables me to keep my eyes on the road. I understand that HUDs aren't for everyone, but it makes me feel safer. I wish Tesla would offer it as an option.