Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up display stopped working after last software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 3rd party heads up display that stopped working after the latest software update in 2023 MYLR. Seems this is happening to a lot of people using 3rd party displays. I know tesla has a right to not support this, but they're going to have a lot of unhappy customers if they don't address this. Anyone else having this problem? And any idea how to let tesla know?

I know tesla has a right to not support this
This is the root of the statement here. Tesla doesnt have any reason to have to support any third party device they have not signed a contract with the manufacturer over.

And any idea how to let tesla know?

You dont, you let the third party device manufacturer know, and hope they will issue a update to fix the issue or otherwise work out why their device no longer works with a specific Tesla firmware.

The information for these devices typically comes from the CAN bus. It was there for a reason so if that information is no longer being delivered it could be a bug as it likely (?) served a purpose.
Well, in your case the turn signal stopped working and in the OP's case the speed etc. stopped working, but the car's speed/turn signals are still working so I very much doubt it's a bug that's affecting the car's features in any way. These 3rd party devices have stopped working before and will continue to from time to time and it's down to the 3rd party to fix the issues if they can.

2024.20 version changed at least some of the CANBUS communications, if the head up display support OTA, you can hopefully asked customer support for the OTA.
But again the things gets really tricky, all these HUD were made in China and they were on 2024.14 version, so even if the factory update the HUD firmware very frequently, they doesn`t know what changed in 2024.20 until the software in China reach 2024.20.
But as I observed Tesla CN 2024.14 do have the CANBUS mod change the same as 2024.20 in US, so my HUD got an update from the factory and thus fixed the problem.

I contacted Tesla and let them know. They probably won't do anything, but maybe someone will spend 15 minutes looking into it and can make a simple fix. I don't know how to contact the vendor. I bought from Amazon, but the same item sells on alibaba and temu, so I'm guessing it's a Chinese product. To do a software update I have to go into the settings on the device which I can't do. I get a startup logo and then the screen goes blank. Maybe they'll have a plan B for doing it. If I have to buy another display, I'll do it. The problem is how long will I have to wait until I can get one that will work. I would guess 4 or more months.

I contacted Tesla and let them know. They probably won't do anything, but maybe someone will spend 15 minutes looking into it and can make a simple fix. I don't know how to contact the vendor. I bought from Amazon, but the same item sells on alibaba and temu, so I'm guessing it's a Chinese product. To do a software update I have to go into the settings on the device which I can't do. I get a startup logo and then the screen goes blank. Maybe they'll have a plan B for doing it. If I have to buy another display, I'll do it. The problem is how long will I have to wait until I can get one that will work. I would guess 4 or more months.

That was a waste of your time, because Tesla isnt going to escalate anything to anyone. "I bought this third party display and it no longer works with firmware XXXX" is going to be" Oh? Sorry to hear that. Ok thanks for letting us know."

I dont work for Tesla, but as I have said in some other threads, I have spent my entire working career (currently late 50s in age) either providing customer support, or managing people who do, in IT. Its common for people to bring up things that are not supported in a customer service call. No one is going to forward anything about something that is unsupported third party to anyone who would have the skills to look at it. It simply is not going to happen.

The device could start working again, if Tesla introduced a bug by mistake but it wouldnt be them fixing the third party device. They would only look into it if it introduced a bug in something they actually monitor, so contacting Tesla is a waste of time (and avoiding this type of contact is one of the reason Tesla makes it so hard to reach a human in the first place.

As for "how do I firmware update the device" there are entire long dozens of page threads on members here supporting each other on these devices. I would suggest participating in one of those. One of the reasons to pick one of these devices over another is after care support / firmware releases.

but the car's speed/turn signals are still working

You may right, but these show up on the display which I believe is a video feed from the computer, so it could still be a bug and have impact somewhere else. As I noted, it was on the CAN bus perhaps for a reason, or maybe not. We’ll have to wait and see. If Tesla intentionally removed it, then I don’t think 3rd parties will be able to do much about it. :(

Tesla have changed the meaning of can bus messages in the past. The information is still there but on another "channel". The Tesla firmware knows about it and all is fine. 3rd party apps that reverse-engineered what information is on what channel will fail until they get a software update of their own, after they reverse-engineer on what channel the information they are looking for is now...
I've seen it happen in ScanMyTesla. I have the S3XY buttons and they have options to tell the dongle if you'Re running a newer or older firmware, that sort of thing. Not the first time it happens and won't be the last. Tesla have no responsibility and can do what they want, the CAN bus messages are not published by them for everyone to use, they are "internal".

There is no 'simple fix'. There would have to be a ton of analysis to go into any changes that fix your problem. They could send an update that specifically fixes your display and break 5 other displays. This is why the field of configuration management was created.

At this point, Tesla does not have the staff to try and make their software compatible with the myriad 3rd party accessory manufacturers. The display manufacturer is the one who's best set up to fix the problem.

There is no 'simple fix'. There would have to be a ton of analysis to go into any changes that fix your problem. They could send an update that specifically fixes your display and break 5 other displays. This is why the field of configuration management was created.

At this point, Tesla does not have the staff to try and make their software compatible with the myriad 3rd party accessory manufacturers. The display manufacturer is the one who's best set up to fix the problem.
Indeed, they should have a responsibility to update as needed as Tesla updates their firmware.

I agree Tesla probably won't do anything. I've been doing software development for close to 40 years in various roles. Every company is different. And I've looked into issues reported by people who had expired support contracts and even unlicensed users. Because they may have uncovered an issue, And making them happy might lead to good word of mouth that results in a future sale. You don't want people stating your product is junk, regardless if they are justified in doing so. Plus, I had pride in my work. If me or my team introduced an issue, I would fix it. Because that's my job.

Reactions: Richster64