Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up for the Maryland EV Excise tax credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mailed in my excise tax rebate form in January (for a purchase in December 2018) and haven't gotten anything back from the MVA. Guessing I'm out of luck unless they pass another EV credit bill? Or maybe I was far enough up in line to get the tax credit but they're just slow in mailing them? In any case, this sucks for a lot of people. Seems like the release of the model 3 completely wiped out this program.

They're just slow. Some guy on above said he was told by the MVA they're now starting to process the received applications, and checks should be mailed around September...

• Informative
Reactions: snailboat
Checks for the EVSE rebate are going out! Just got the email:

"
Dear Sir/Madam,

Congratulations! This email is a courtesy notification that your Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment Rebate (EVSE Rebate) Program 2.0 application has been approved, and the Maryland Energy Administration (MEA) has authorized the disbursement of funds.

MEA looks forward to delivering your EVSE Rebate as quickly as possible and it has been submitted to the State finance office for payment. Please allow four (4) to six (6) weeks to receive your check. Rebate Applicants who have direct deposit service set up with the State of Maryland will receive their rebates by direct deposit instead of a paper check.
"

I wish the MVA was as enthusiastic as the MEA.

When did you submit your paperwork? I bought in May, 2019 and submitted paperwork shortly thereafter and they said I wont be eligible until July 2020

Found the answer to your question earlier in the thread:

I mailed in my excise tax rebate form in January (for a purchase in December 2018)

I think so far, the latest submitted form with a confirmed payout was from myself. MVA confirmed receipt of my form mid-April. Have they told you when they received yours @is95aus ? Their notice to dealerships that the FY2020 funding had expired went out at the end of May.

• Informative
Reactions: snailboat
This is what MVAElectricRefunds sent me:
"Good morning, you are on the list for 5/30/2019 and on the list for expected refund July 2020."

So do you think this means my refund is pending funding for FY2021?

Yeah, unfortunately that sounds like FY2021. That means you would be eligible for funding starting July 2020, but the state legislature hasn't yet funded the program past this year. If you haven't already written your state reps, now may be a good time to do so and ask them to reauthorize the rebate.

Good luck!

Question for the financially minded among us... Are these rebates considered taxable income at the Federal and State levels? I could understand paying Federal income tax on a state rebate, but it would seem a bit odd to get a rebate from the state, and then pay a portion of it back in taxes.

Question for the financially minded among us... Are these rebates considered taxable income at the Federal and State levels? I could understand paying Federal income tax on a state rebate, but it would seem a bit odd to get a rebate from the state, and then pay a portion of it back in taxes.

If all it did was to reduce otherwise applicable state taxes, I would think no income, but have never researched it. The relevant MD fund is currently depleted.

If all it did was to reduce otherwise applicable state taxes, I would think no income, but have never researched it. The relevant MD fund is currently depleted.

The MVA calls it a "tax credit" but it's paid in the form of a rebate after the excise tax is already paid... While the MEA EVSE grant is just a pure rebate. Language on the MEA site leads me to believe that it could be income in some cases:

"Grants issued by the State of Maryland may be taxable. As the Maryland Energy Administration is unable to give tax advice, any tax-related questions should be directed toward a qualified tax professional."

A reminder that the Maryland EV tax credit funding is depleted but you should still file the form if you buy an electric car.

There was a bill to extend the program but it didn't pass before the legislature adjourned early because of COVID-19. There's a chance it could be funded retroactively next year but nobody knows what will happen.

Maryland EV Tax Credit Status as of June, 2020 | PlugInSites