Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heads up: Tesla no longer manufacturing NEMA 14-30 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A puzzling decision by Tesla considering that in a lot of areas, electric dryers are right there in the garage. I recently replaced my electric dryer with a gas one and saved the 14-30 cord set from it. I realize it's not to code, but had planned to put a 14-50 receptacle on the other end of the cord, and just use my Tesla 14-50 adapter with the current turned down.

I already have to reduce the current when using my Tesla 14-50 adapter on the majority of stove outlets because they are mostly wired up with 40 amp wire and breakers. In those conditions I set the current to 32 amps or less.

It's a bad idea to rely upon turning down the current in the car. I agree it will work, but the FAQ (see my signature) explains why it's not the safest thing to do. I'd create a 14-30 to 10-30 conversion cord and use the 10-30 adapter before I'd snip off/modify the neutral of the 14-50 adapter.

And it will be an even worse idea with time, as Tesla moves from early adopters who read everything they can about the car (but could still forget to manually change the setting if they're distracted) to the general market of car buyers who aren't going to read a manual or a FAQ. Charging needs to be idiot proof.

Reactions: linkster
And it will be an even worse idea with time, as Tesla moves from early adopters who read everything they can about the car (but could still forget to manually change the setting if they're distracted) to the general market of car buyers who aren't going to read a manual or a FAQ. Charging needs to be idiot proof.

This I agree with. I suspect it's more of a supply chain concern - the adapters are likely being ordered in low numbers, Tesla doesn't want to maintain a huge inventory, while the suppliers can't make them just-in-time at Tesla's target price. It's almost worth a supply house offering to partner with Tesla as an inventory / parts partner, perhaps...

I purchased these two items prior to a roadtrip in November as added backup to the superchargers and to give me some options for destination charging. The first item is a 50' 14-50 extension cord that plugs right into the Tesla UMC. Then from EVSE Adapters I purchased a 14-Universal adapter that will allow me to plug into 14-anything from a dryer plug to an RV outlet. It came in very handy when I needed to charge in my aunt's garage, with a long snaking cable to the laundry room dryer plug.

Camco 50' 14-50 extension cable:
Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive

EVSE Adapters Universal adapter (see Universal Plug on same page):
NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

There's no comparison between a $1,000 CHAdeMO adapter and a $50 NEMA 14-30 adapter.

The CHAdeMO adapter is now $450. If it were available, I'd be using it regularly.

I have the 14-30 adapter and wanted to use it once, but needed another 5'. If I had to do it again I would have purchased a 15' 14-50 extension cord and the adapters for 14-50 instead of the Tesla adapters.

Surprising. I'm glad we picked ours up when we took a road trip last summer up the coast. We were going to spend a few days at our other home and there just happens to be a dryer outlet in the garage, so it was incredibly convenient. What a strange move on Tesla's part.

So my theory that Tesla is going to produce a new version of the UMC is accumulating a bit of evidence according to this email I just got back from Tesla. At least that's how I read it. I sent Tesla an email telling them how useful the 14-30 adapter was according to the poll I recently ran and this was their reply:

Thank you for your note and the poll that you conducted. We do not have any information to provide at this time about the future of the charging adapters, but rest assured that we do understand the need for these adapters and will proceed accordingly.

I believe I have a complete set!

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1423788025.304277.jpg

14-50 6-50 10-30 14-30 5-20 5-15

I know it's been a while, but I'm still not over this. I just cannot wrap my mind around why Tesla would have discontinued this part. 14-30s are more common than 10-30s, are to code, and just a better design. The lack of availability has to be encouraging more people to make 14-50R to lower-than-50A plugs, which troubles me. I just cannot bring myself to plug a higher-current device into a lower-current capable outlet.

I guess as long as Tesla continues to sell a 30A adapter, there's a workaround. In case this is helpful to anyone, you can get yourself a cable-mounted 10-30R. This makes it easy to build a (Tesla-compatible only!) extension to go from 14-30 to 10-30 without having to worry about over currents. Check it out: http://www.mcmaster.com/#7120k65/=xtm11d

I know it's been a while, but I'm still not over this. I just cannot wrap my mind around why Tesla would have discontinued this part. 14-30s are more common than 10-30s, are to code, and just a better design.
I would agree with this. It was a very bad move. I also do not understand why they would discontinue the NEMA 6-50 adapter.

I think it's definitely possible that a new UMC is on the way. I'd be excited to see that!

In the mean time, I can only imagine Tesla's getting rid of these adapters to discourage customers from using these kinds of receptacles. But, I think all that's happening here is more and more people are making 50R-to-30P cables. I really hope Tesla continues to make at least one 30A option.

And I've now gone and talked myself into buying a backup 10-30, just in case.