Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hearing about the D just 9 days after taking delivery of P85+ merits a switch!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S was built around Sept 15th and I paid $140k for it - P85+ with all possible options available at that time. What is pissing me off is that Tesla is simply discriminating certain number of people by hiding ( not disclosing ) the information about the sensors for Autopilot etc enhancements and started including those for no charge to others that have ordered a Tesla exactly like mine!
They knew very well months ahead that they will start including those sensors in the cars starting end of September, but they didn't issue a statement or anything else to new buyers that starting as of XX date cars will be built with some additional options.
They could've kept their "secret" to some extend, but at least alert buyers that they have a choice to enter in production later then sooner. They haven't given us any choice and now I own a car that I paid $140k for and because of this discriminatory and shady practices by Tesla management my car is probably worth way less.

I am open to start a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT against Tesla and I will not be shy to spend several hundred thousands dollars to get justice! Some of you may say " just buy the D if you have extra money to spend, but NO I'd rather spend it against Tesla for playing people around!

If anyone is interested in CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT please contact me at montauto at gmail

You spend 140k on a car, then are willing to spend a few hundred thousand on legal fee's, however you bitch about the resale value of your car?

You spend 140k on a car, then are willing to spend a few hundred thousand on legal fee's, however you bitch about the resale value of your car?

yea really. you could buy several fully loaded P85D's for the amount of $$$$ it would take to back a class action lawsuit like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had customers return obviously smashed tech equipment with the expectation that we would replace it because 'it's broken, obviously'.

wow. imagine if you applied that to cars. "please replace my model S [because I intentionally smashed it up against a tree when I was throwing a fit about not getting 'D'/'Autopilot] because it's broken, obviously."

Before threading a lawsuit, it is always prudent to have a competent legal opinion that you have a legal case.

While I understand the desire to always have the latest and greatest, once you accept delivery, the car is normally yours. I also picture that little girl in Willie Wonka screaming to her cringing Daddy "I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW!"

Hope you and Tesla can work something out.

It was certainly foreseeable to all purchasers that Tesla would eventually incorporate driver assistance features like adaptive cruise, blind spot and lane departure. They are already state of the art in ICE cars. Similarly they have been talking about an all wheel drive Model S since the Model X with two motors was revealed in 2012. Buyers like me elected to get the car sooner instead of waiting for Tesla to add these perks. However, I too would be infuriated if the P85D with Autopilot came out on the heels of my delivery.

Before threading a lawsuit, it is always prudent to have a competent legal opinion that you have a legal case.

While I understand the desire to always have the latest and greatest, once you accept delivery, the car is normally yours. I also picture that little girl in Willie Wonka screaming to her cringing Daddy "I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT NOW!"

Hope you and Tesla can work something out.
Ask and ye shall receive...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand all this talk about how much less their new cars are worth. Cars are a depreciating asset, not an investment. They are meant to be used and enjoyed. Even the new P85Ds that recent buyers of P85s without autopilot wish they had waited for will depreciate rapidly as Tesla continues to innovate.

Should we assume that this "montauto" guy who joined the forums just to post about this call action suit is actually none other than our own "montgomery626" who conspired with the lemon lawyer?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I am proud to say I love driving one of the worst Model s's produced. The rest of you non sig owners are welcome

I want to see if anyone else is in my position with unveiling of the D. I purchased the P85+ on September 17th with every option available except cold weather package as I'm in So Cal. Total cost of the vehicle before taxes was $127k. Typically production takes 4-8 weeks but the employees at my test drive pulled some strings and got a delivery date of Sept 30th which initially I was super exited and impressed about.

The day after I took delivery of my P85+ Elon makes his famous tweet about the D and on October 9th here we have it. The $127k P85+ has now been rolled into the $134K P85D with only a $7k price increase and the P85+ is no longer offered.

I have a major problem with tesla's lack of communication to customers purchasing fully upgraded P85+ so close the the unveiling of the D. I don't want to speculate on Elon's marketing strategy of mysteriousness and surprise but when it comes down to a time frame of weeks, it is clear that buyers paying this amount and clearly looking for the most upgraded model should have been at best informally hinted at the idea to make an informed decision.

It's not like I was a buyer looking at the 85 and debating the price of the leather trim or the upgraded sound system. I clearly wanted every option and expressed it clearly. I also find it hard to believe that the employees themselves didn't know about the D because they kept telling me my car has some "advanced hardware and features that are amazing but cannot be talked about because they haven't been officially released". Of course hinting to the drive and lane assist features.

Now even if I sell my P85+ I'm going to get hit with a huge loss as the difference in monthly cost from what I payed for my P85+ and the D is less than $100.

It is my opinion that customers that purchased the fully upgraded P85+ within a few weeks of the D should have been given for knowledge of the upcoming D due to the immediate time frame.

I have put an email in to Tesla suggesting they allow me to order the D and trade in my P85+ upon delivery and pay only the price difference and 2 month depreciation. What they do is up to them but if they know their target demographic they should do everything to make this right as I'm sure most of us will be purchasing multiple tesla's as we believe in the company and for me am heavily investing in the stock as well.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? I'd love to get feedback/comments/thoughts.

I do agree with you completely and understand your frustration. I took delivery on 9-30. I am fortunate in that I really wanted an RWD car. I haven't had one in years and years so I don't personally have any complaints. But I can say that when running a business, they must create a cutoff point where they go from model 1 to model 2. If a company were to release the future info on development, we would all sit back and do nothing until that "ultimate" version came out...and it would go broke because there is always something better.

Very frustrating, I know. Look at phones and computers. Same story. Though a heck of a lot cheaper.

Coming from software, I have learned to live with it.

This thread and others like it will keep happening b/c Tesla will add a feature when it sees fit. It's probably why no other manufacturers do so. If Tesla did, 4Q and possibly 3Q orders would dry up, stock price would tank and then orders would pile up for next years Q1/Q2 and repeat. I don't know is there's a good answer to all of this. Many angry people wanted Elon to give a hint or a heads up about the automated driving and dual motor. Then I can't imagine many orders being placed at all from September onwards. There's just really no perfect solution to all of this.

Should we assume that this "montauto" guy who joined the forums just to post about this call action suit is actually none other than our own "montgomery626" who conspired with the lemon lawyer?

Well that's an interesting thought... but on the surface it doesn't appear to be so.

The email address he refers to (montauto at gmail), shows up as the registrant for the "montway.org" domain, which is the website for Montway Auto Transport, out of Illinois. The the name associated with that domain is "Mihail Mihaylov"

The Lemon Lawsuit guy was named Robert Montgomery, out of Wisconsin.

(I only post the above because montauto chose to provide his own email address himself earlier in the thread, and all of the resulting info is public information)

But since these major announcements don't come on a timetable, it sounds like you're saying that buyers should wait an indeterminate amount of time until there is a major announcement, then order their car afterwards. Well, that's sure one way to be assured of the latest tech, but it's not very realistic -- people get excited about the purchase and have to have it NOW.

Agreed, but if you want the latest, wait until the next reveal. That is the only sure way, right? :)

Hey guys. Similar situation here. I took delivery of my P85+ on 9/30 at the factory. Thankfully I made the cut to get the new hardware. Too bad there are not "model years" where new features and options are known well in advance. I got a 2014 1/2 model, not the 2015. I can get over it as I am fine with the rear drive. Although I probably would have sprung for the D as I wanted the fully loaded version. Best now lasts longer!
What has me totally troubled is the $500 extra I paid for parking sensors. Non issue when I picked up at the factory. Every single car had all the parking sensors (and other new hardware) without paying the $500. Now they want to charge me another $500 to "activate" the new hardware. Wait a minute! Why do I have to pay $500 more than every other car delivered on 9/30 that did not pay for the parking sensors?

Ya I know, boo-hoo. A good problem to have. But you know, when you order top of the line, the top keeps moving up!!