Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump acoustic cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So how can you tell if you have the housing? Do I need to pull the Frunk shell to look inside or just the top battery section?

May 2020 build

Fred

Yes, you need to pop the plastic frunk cover off, the one around the windshield fluid refill. I must say, it is hard to put it back on. I wasn't able to snap back a few of them close to the front. Here is a picture. You will (or not) see a black foam sleeve around the orange. It's not fully wrapped, but mostly wrapped.

Even though there is some insulation, there is still quite a bit of noise coming out of it when you are outside the car, and especially in a garage, where there is more sound reflection. I will have the SC check it out and see if that noise level is normal.

Attachments

• IMG_6535.jpeg
    IMG_6535.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 134
Yes, you need to pop the plastic frunk cover off, the one around the windshield fluid refill. I must say, it is hard to put it back on. I wasn't able to snap back a few of them close to the front. Here is a picture. You will (or not) see a black foam sleeve around the orange. It's not fully wrapped, but mostly wrapped.

Even though there is some insulation, there is still quite a bit of noise coming out of it when you are outside the car, and especially in a garage, where there is more sound reflection. I will have the SC check it out and see if that noise level is normal.

Thanks, will go check right now.

Fred

Very low, Can’t barely hear it, even inside the car. Ran the A/C with out the battery cover, seem quiet to me. If I have to go to the service center for something at that point I will request it.
Fred

If it's acceptable to you, it may be something that's better off left alone. Tesla techs (and other car mechanics) unfortunately sometimes do more harm than good trying to repair something. I lost my Bolt for week at the Chevy dealership to address a simple dashboard leveling issue. After a week of BS excuses from the dealership and two different techs working on it.. I got it back with worse alignment than it had before being "repaired". I then complained to the service manager ... and they told me they would have to remove the whole dashboard from the car to fix it properly. I told them absolutely not.. and took my car and left. Lesson learned... some things are better left alone.

If it's acceptable to you, it may be something that's better off left alone. Tesla techs (and other car mechanics) unfortunately sometimes do more harm than good trying to repair something. I lost my Bolt for week at the Chevy dealership to address a simple dashboard leveling issue. After a week.. I got it back with a worse alignment than it had before being "repaired". I then complained... and they told me they would have to remove the whole dashboard to fix it. I told them absolutely not.. and took my car and left. Some things are better left alone.
Makes sense, I keep wondering what’s this loud sound most people are hearing, anyways just waiting for this V3 Supercharger to open up here in Chula Vista, got my M3 down to 50% need to burn it down to 5% once it opens Hahahaha

Fred

Very low, Can’t barely hear it, even inside the car. Ran the A/C with out the battery cover, seem quiet to me. If I have to go to the service center for something at that point I will request it.

Fred
Same here, I thought I already had the cover because I wasn't bothered by the noise. Found today that I didn't have the cover, must have missed it by a few days because I got mine delivered on 5/30, probably manufactured on 5/25, and I saw someone mentioning that it started being installed in early June or something. No regret, though, if I need it later I can ask Tesla to install when I have other reason to visit SC. In return, I got the same hardware (980 motor?) as the stealth Performance at RL AWD price (early model, VIN 57xx).

Good news... got my ac acoustic retrofit installed.... bad news sc royally messed up rear hatch (while trying to fix a tail light misalignment) and now there’s a massive gap between the top and rear glass plus its completely misaligned. Tesla employee who helped me out admitted “yea that’s a big gap...” and said book another appt to have the sc team fix it.... I knew I shouldn’t have asked them to adjust the tail light....

Attachments

• 4DD99421-08EE-4AE2-A238-3560458D4E1A.jpeg
    4DD99421-08EE-4AE2-A238-3560458D4E1A.jpeg
    211.9 KB · Views: 91
  • AEC3B665-78C5-481F-8144-67814CF4D9CD.jpeg
    AEC3B665-78C5-481F-8144-67814CF4D9CD.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 87
  • A2667A80-A7E8-4964-8433-E1E4899755C3.jpeg
    A2667A80-A7E8-4964-8433-E1E4899755C3.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: mac9899
Same here, I thought I already had the cover because I wasn't bothered by the noise. Found today that I didn't have the cover, must have missed it by a few days because I got mine delivered on 5/30, probably manufactured on 5/25, and I saw someone mentioning that it started being installed in early June or something. No regret, though, if I need it later I can ask Tesla to install when I have other reason to visit SC. In return, I got the same hardware (980 motor?) as the stealth Performance at RL AWD price (early model, VIN 57xx).

I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't think having the 980 motor buys us anything. Now I know there's just a few lines of code keeping us from accelerating so much faster.....

Just dropped off my car at the SC. The advisor said:

“just because your car doesn’t have an acoustic cover, it doesn’t mean it qualifies for one, so we will have to check the noise level”

sounds like a bunch of BS. If they don’t install that cover, I’ll be pissed because mine is noticeable loud

Good news... got my ac acoustic retrofit installed.... bad news sc royally messed up rear hatch (while trying to fix a tail light misalignment) and now there’s a massive gap between the top and rear glass plus its completely misaligned. Tesla employee who helped me out admitted “yea that’s a big gap...” and said book another appt to have the sc team fix it.... I knew I shouldn’t have asked them to adjust the tail light....
LoL, my rear hatch was scrapping the metal and had to have touchup work done, a day after, hatch misaligned again and now has one side scraping on the sides and won't open correctly. That first bit took 3 weeks, now had to wait 3 weeks for another appointment to see how long it'll take.