Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heat pump retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about "even some Nissan LEAF had it since 2013."
That works too. Or "even Nissan's Leaf had an optional heat pump"

But back to the real question, which version of Tesla's patent in in the Y??? :)
May be a better to cover that in a different thread, since there are like 3 or more heat pump ones at this point.
Will Model Y finally get a heat pump??? is Y specific
but Why does Tesla use a Resistance Heater instead of Heat Pump is the techincal one, even if it is in the S forum.

The cold really wrecks range. On my LR RWD, got an effective 200 miles of range driving on highway at 70-75 in ~35 degree weather and HVAC set to 69.

Does it really though? I noticed next to no difference from the cold in my S, snow/ice on the other hand made a big impact. The heater is only drawing something like 2 kW continuously after the car has been heated so it can’t have that big an impact.

Has anyone actually tested the heat pump to get a real world mileage difference in cold weather?

Also with the Y, there is no free lunch. It gives up performance, handling and some range for the extra space. Depending on what one values most, it can be the inferior or superior choice.