Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel - Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, quick one. I have heated steering wheel in my Model Y. When I first start up car and turn on the heated steering wheel, it gets nice and toasty very quickly. However, after a few minutes it seems to turn off and steering wheel temp goes back to normal like it’s not on. Then a few mins later, will feel some warm sections but overall, nothing like it was when first turned on. Is this normal? Could it be overheating initially and turning off?

Reactions: Destiny1701
Hey, quick one. I have heated steering wheel in my Model Y. When I first start up car and turn on the heated steering wheel, it gets nice and toasty very quickly. However, after a few minutes it seems to turn off and steering wheel temp goes back to normal like it’s not on. Then a few mins later, will feel some warm sections but overall, nothing like it was when first turned on. Is this normal? Could it be overheating initially and turning off?
I think it initially gets hot and then the thermostat kicks in and you are feeling the segments come on and off to maintain a lower temp. I just test drove a Y yesterday and it had the steering wheel heat on. It was almost too hot in about a mile and then dropped back to just warm. This was a new nice experience for me since I have never owned a car with a heated steering wheel.

I think it initially gets hot and then the thermostat kicks in and you are feeling the segments come on and off to maintain a lower temp. I just test drove a Y yesterday and it had the steering wheel heat on. It was almost too hot in about a mile and then dropped back to just warm. This was a new nice experience for me since I have never owned a car with a heated steering wheel.
Okay, thanks. I guess it’s normal. Just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your feedback.

Okay, thanks. I guess it’s normal. Just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your feedback.
I think the steering wheel and things like the heated seats at various settings are on 'duty cycles'.

duty_cycle_large.jpg

Mine is the same - gets toasty hot then drops to a steady warm cozy temperature after a few minutes. Normal. I suppose that a software update could let you regulate it to your personal desire.
Thanks. Just to confirm we are experiencing the same thing. After the initial toasty hot part, it will seem to almost turn off sections where parts of the steering wheel are luke warm and others seem have heater turned off. After awhile the sections that were seemingly off will warm back up briefly and then go back off again. Is this the same for you?

Thanks. Just to confirm we are experiencing the same thing. After the initial toasty hot part, it will seem to almost turn off sections where parts of the steering wheel are luke warm and others seem have heater turned off. After awhile the sections that were seemingly off will warm back up briefly and then go back off again. Is this the same for you?
Yep - the same. Comfortable.

Even the Tesla seat heaters seem to do a better job of keeping the seat warm…
But I think those two areas are very different ... once your seat warms up your rump is still covering all the area and stays warm ... vs the steer wheel with a lot of open-air around it, your fingers, and your hands moving around (or at least probably loosening/tightening).

When it seems to turn off, does the temp drop on the entire wheel? Don’t have a heated wheel in my MY but in my Bolt, if I hold onto the same spot, the sense of warmth isn’t much since the heat is being transferred to my hands. But if I move my hand to another spot, it’ll be a lot warmer until the heat from that area is also transferred to my hands. So I’m constantly moving my hands to a different spot on the wheel every 10 seconds or so.

When it seems to turn off, does the temp drop on the entire wheel? Don’t have a heated wheel in my MY but in my Bolt, if I hold onto the same spot, the sense of warmth isn’t much since the heat is being transferred to my hands. But if I move my hand to another spot, it’ll be a lot warmer until the heat from that area is also transferred to my hands. So I’m constantly moving my hands to a different spot on the wheel every 10 seconds or so.
It feels like sections turn off for minutes and then turn on versus constantly staying warm.

I’ve been pretty happy with it so far being just right most of the time. But it would be nice if they give an option for a high heat, for those days when you were scraping ice without any gloves. Seems they could do that via update, but what they can’t is add some heat to the side wings of the bottom part of the seat.