Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Heated Steering Wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Three of the big things I wish my Model 3 had is a heated steering wheel a power liftgate and a tow hitch. It seems Model Y will have towing and a power lift, but what about a heated steering wheel? Seems like an easy thing and something that a $50,000 car should have.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Purely speculation on my part but I think the towing and power lift are part of expectations for cross-over/SUV vehicles and had to be included. Heated steering wheels while nice, are more of a general luxury item. Although perhaps expected in a $50,000 car, something has to give to pay for the giant battery.

BTW if there was an upgrade to heated steering wheel for the 3, I'd probably get it. Winter is cold.

Winter is very cold. I would love a heated steering wheel. But because the car costs a certain amount is not really a valid argument. I have had $90,000 Mercedes S class (purchased for $17k, love that German sedan depreciation) that did not have the heated steering wheel. I do have one on my X5 (same purchase price) but it was an option only with the $1500 cold weather package, and that car sold new for $65k. Would definitely pay for it if it was an option! I fear it will be something that gets added when they have sold all they can, and only people waiting for heated steering wheels don't have one yet.

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation
I live in Atlanta so it does not get brutally cold, but I use the heated steering wheel in my X everyday for about 6 months out of the year. Maybe due to poor circulation, but my hands are always cold. The heated steering wheel works far better at warming them up than gloves or pre heating the car. The heat on my hands feels so good. As a side note I almost never use the heated seats nor do I use the cabin heat often. My body is usually warm while my hands are cold so I love the heated wheel in the X and hope the Y gets one too. Lack of a heated steering wheel plus a few other nuances may cause me to drop my Model Y reservation.

I just have the car heat itself before I get in. Never have a cold hands problem and I’m in northern WI. Also, they have a thing they sell up here...maybe hasn’t made it to the southern states....gloves. But if your a single feature buyer, I guess the Leaf will work for you.
There's an invention called a coat too. Guess you wouldn't complain if Tesla removed the seat heat and cabin heater since you can just wear a coat.

Yeah it's pretty dumb that they do not have a heated steering wheel. It would add maybe $150 to the cost of the car. My wifes Hyundai Santa Fe Sport has it, no reason the Y shouldn't. That said I LOVE having the heated steering wheel on my MX.