Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hello From Sunny Scotland...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,

Just a quick hello from a Tesla lover in Scotland (UK)..

I hope to have a Tesla at some point in the near future, however the £90k pricetag ($144k) is the only hurdle that I have at the moment :biggrin:

Having just sold my Smart Brabus Roadster and a couple of my other toys as well, I have a huge roadster shaped hole in my life and the Tesla fits in perfect with my lifestyle. I have recently started my own business so buying more cars is on the back burner for the moment, BUT I need to own a Tesla..

I have loved the project from the concept and even sent my CV (Resumé ) through to Tesla, so that if they ever had a UK (Scottish) operation, I would love to be involved in it, in any way possible.

I dont even know if there are any Tesla's in Scotland, I have never seen one outside of the Lotus factory in Hethel and what with the driving roads that we have here the roadster would be well received.

I look forward to speaking to you all and look forward to becoming a part of this forum.

Thanks

Steve

Steve,

Welcome to the forum! we have some great contributors here & would love to hear how the roadster makes it north; it'll get there!

How to get a Roadster; I had the same urge and the same wallet size so put down a deposit for an Aptera... I'm living in the US, in New Jersey so Aptera cancelled my order on the basis that, at the time they didn't want to sell outside of CA. Without really thinking too hard about it I moved the order to Tesla... the theory being that the small deposit was refundable... well, the small deposit turned in the 50% deposit and then, last month a Roadster on the driveway!

Now, all I'm missing is the fantastic roads and brilliant scenery of the highlands!

MPT

I have recently started my own business so buying more cars is on the back burner for the moment, BUT I need to own a Tesla..

Not having a clue about UK business tax, it might be possible to buy a Tesla as a company car. Under Dutch regulations I know I can and this would save me 19% VAT and 40-50% income tax, effectively cutting the price by more than 50%

Oh, and rumour has it that the base price of an EU roadster (ex VAT) will be reduced by EUR 5000 to EUR 84000. Another 5+% saving! It's almost as if they are giving them away! (well almost...)

PS: Does anybody know of a list of worldwide EV incentives by country/state?

Steve,

Welcome to the forum! we have some great contributors here & would love to hear how the roadster makes it north; it'll get there!

How to get a Roadster; I had the same urge and the same wallet size so put down a deposit for an Aptera... I'm living in the US, in New Jersey so Aptera cancelled my order on the basis that, at the time they didn't want to sell outside of CA. Without really thinking too hard about it I moved the order to Tesla... the theory being that the small deposit was refundable... well, the small deposit turned in the 50% deposit and then, last month a Roadster on the driveway!

Now, all I'm missing is the fantastic roads and brilliant scenery of the highlands!

MPT

I am very happy to be the Scottish correspondent for all things Tesla :smile:

I am sure it will get here and I am sure that I will get one, one day.

Aptera? I actually had to Google that one. That is very very cool as well. Although why not offer them outside Cali? I have never understood US companies making a product and only selling it in one state. I know Cali is massive and given a choice I would move there tomorrow (we always vacation on the West coast) but it seems a bit short sighted of companies only to offer a product in one state..

Wow, you moved quick on the roadster. Happy with it?

Well you know what... You should see about getting over here and experiencing the highlands. Probably by the time that I have extracted my thumb, I might have one that you can use..:biggrin:

Thanks for the warm welcome..

Not having a clue about UK business tax, it might be possible to buy a Tesla as a company car. Under Dutch regulations I know I can and this would save me 19% VAT and 40-50% income tax, effectively cutting the price by more than 50%

Oh, and rumour has it that the base price of an EU roadster (ex VAT) will be reduced by EUR 5000 to EUR 84000. Another 5+% saving! It's almost as if they are giving them away! (well almost...)

PS: Does anybody know of a list of worldwide EV incentives by country/state?

Raymond,

It would be a massive tax benefit for me and being a 'green' car it would also give me all sorts of tax breaks. By 2011 the UK government are looking to give out incentives to buy electric. So I would get anything from £500 to £5000 on the scheme. As for any other taxes, if I were to class it as a commercial vehicle then I would be able to claim back 17.5% (i dont know if that would work)...

Once the incentive scheme is up and running I will look at it.

It would be a fantastic advertising opportunity as my company only sells one product and it's a Green computing product, hardware and software allowing upto 90% less electricity to be used than standard PC arrangements and a whole host of other benefits. So it would fit in nicely with me having "green" transportation.

Oh and they would have to have the RHD available as well. I have a LHD Splitscreen VW and it's a nightmare at toll booths, drive thru's and car park ticket machines and that's with a bench seat...:biggrin:

Thanks for the reply as well..:smile:

Aptera? I actually had to Google that one. That is very very cool as well. Although why not offer them outside Cali? I have never understood US companies making a product and only selling it in one state. I know Cali is massive and given a choice I would move there tomorrow (we always vacation on the West coast) but it seems a bit short sighted of companies only to offer a product in one state..

Wow, you moved quick on the roadster. Happy with it?

Aptera: At first they restricted to CA to manage customer service; actually, in retrospect a bold choice. In the US, each state has different ideas about what makes a safe car, from lighting to front licence plates and navigating the rules is tricky. I also suspect that they hadn't yet thought through the east coast challenges like cabin and battery heating; it gets below -20C in NJ and colder up north!

Roadster: After my first drive in it I thought "It's a bit less practical than I thought, can I really live with it?" Its party trick; 0-60, kept me entertained but in just a few weeks of driving all has changed; I'm used to getting in and out and have figured out the mechanics; HVAC, pluging in, getting over range anxiety, remembering to start moving before turning the wheel, etc. and now I'm discovering that it's a Lotus chassis, stop-start traffic is no chore, it's always charged up in the morning, it's a cosy cabin on a chilly day, the headroom with the top on is fine, off; even better :) the iPhone integration is sound, I can potter along the road to work listening to the news in a car that's more economical than my Insight and every bit as comfortable as my A6. It is simply a nice place to be.