Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y review from an mechanical and software engineer's standpoint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how kW in eV compares to kW in ICE.
Ok I have a some time here at the moment to reply to you.:)
A kW is a kW but we need to put into place where the measurements are coming from in your query. In the case of a ICE vehicle we tend to measure the output at the crankshaft so after the inefficiencies of the ICE which can be expressed in kW or horsepower (HP) etc. Where as Volts x Amps is an input to an electric motor in your query so we need to measure the inefficiencies of the electric motor to compare apples to apples so to speak. Now motor manufacturers I deal with also measure the shaft power of an electric motor ie the output and stamp that on a nameplate attached to the motor expressed in kW or HP.
One is Volts x Amps and the other is torque x rpm x 9.5
In an approx numerical sense your equation would give Watts = torque x rpm/ 9.5 then divide the answer by 1000 to get kW or the one that is mainly used I have seen kW=torque x rpm/ 9550.
Do you have inverter temps?
Ok that image I brought in is the S3XY Buttons for Tesla dashboard provided from their App. I think they are just using OBD scans sourced from the same group that make the Scan My Tesla App. So no, the S3XY buttons for Tesla Dashboard does not show "inverter temps" at the moment but it is still in beta (see top left of image I brought in) and they may give us more options later.

Now the Scan My Tesla app which I have mainly used for more complete OBD data scans does have "inverter temps" as seen here:
Screenshot_20230731_164722.jpg

Now any of that data shown may be also turned into a digital or analogue simple gauge.

Also when does front motor activate?
As seen by my acceleration image both electric motors are active ie front and rear invertor power amounts shown. Now once we are "cruising" along
the front induction motor is powered off as seen here on cruise control:

Screenshot_20230731_170241.jpg

Note how the front invertor has no power ie only rear permanent magnet motor powered.

Last edited:
If the hardware is the same, and the software is the same, I wonder how the performance can be different?
Would the software be the same? When I last drove our MY RWD on TACC which would have been before April this year from memory. After ordering the MY LR in April we stopped using the RWD as much as possible to stop putting any extra kms on it for resale value purposes and we had another car we could substitute it with.

Now has Tesla had software improvements since for TACC? Not sure but I will keep testing to confirm that TACC quality seems better. It really is early days to be comparing the problems we had with TACC on the RWD we sold to the LR to be making any conclusions I think.