Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, A-Pillar Defect Found

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just want to update you folks on what's going on. The folks at Tesla (our regional service manager and the local sales manager) are working with me to spec out the rebuild. I had wanted to take this chance to increase the battery size to 100D and add the 3rd row child seat and informed the team of my desire a couple weeks ago. This would have been relatively simple but since the process took some time to get rolling, it now got more complicated because of all the price changes and the fact that 100D is now includes bundling of options that I didn't originally selected / wanted such as SAS and 72A charger. Based on the professionalism that I've seen from the service team so far, I still am hopeful that this will be handled in fair fashion, keeping my fingers crossed.

Totally disagree. It's not a lack of expertise or design ability by the established automakers, it's a lack of will. But once they muster that will, Tesla will have to watch out because companies like GM, BMW, Mercedes, Ford, and others can easily outpace and outclass Tesla in almost every way. That is, if they can muster the corporate willpower to do what is necessary.

Well, they still need the batteries, at it seems Tesla is also way in front on this point. A Tesla 90kWh pack does not weight much more than a Leaf or e-Golf 30kWh pack.

• Disagree
Reactions: xborg
Any update? Hope things are going well.
Tesla has agreed to refund my original purchase and terminate the lease, and I will be buying a new Model S on a brand new transaction. We are going back and forward to fix up the lease termination agreement as the boiler plate wording is not accurate to describe the situation, and to make sure my 2nd month lease payment is also refunded. The new purchase is a bit more complex as options have changed and pricing have gone up, so we are still finalizing the arrangement that won't have me end up in the short end of the stick.

This is taking longer than I would have liked, but they put me on a Model S loaner until this gets done. The folks working with me is helpful and doing what they can to make sure this will be resolved in a fair manner. I am hopeful that this will be OK. Keeping fingers crossed, I should have the lease and papers for my new build done this week.

Folks, I want to close this off.

I finally picked up my new re-build yesterday in Oakville, Canada. I took this chance to upgrade to the 100D battery and added the rear facing child seats since I now have 3 kids. I basically got a refund on my old car and buy it all over again. The delivery process was smooth and the cars looks great. Dustin (Eastern CA service manager) lead the team that helped me out throughout the process and everyone was professional and helpful. I of course wish the defect never took place but do believe things were handled as well as it possibly can be and I remain a strong supporter of their mission.

My original S90D had VIN 5YJSA1E26HF178837 and I believe was sent back to Fremont for investigation. They told me that the team took the issue seriously and have made changes to their QA process to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Some observation on AP2 17.24.30 vs AP1 loaner. AP2 is improving, it is nearly as good as AP1 in some situation but still not there yet.
Highway - Nearly as good, very usable. Seems to hesitate more and slow down for unknown things occasionally.
Local - Not as good, scary at times. Usable but you have to watch it like a hawk. Although sometimes it would see lanes when AP1 didn't.
Nags - Nags more often than AP1. AP1 almost never nag at low speeds on the freeway and maybe every 1-2 minute or so at speeds. AP1 seems to nag every minute at low speeds and maybe 15 seconds at higher speeds. Hopefully Tesla will relax this as it gets more capable.
Display - AP1 is better as AP2 doesn't show adjacent lanes and doesn't render motocycles and trucks.
Auto headlamp - AP1 version is better, AP2 seems to want to turn on even when it is really bright outside, may be just a tuning issue

Oh, I have that speed limit display issue. The car things all the signs are in mph even though I am in Canada and x1.6 to them to convert to kmph, so my the speed limit display on my dash is crazy high. Sadly, it is a pure display thing and I cannot autosteer to that limit on local roads.