Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help - Charging in Spain/Ibiza

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I hope that someone can help us. We are driving to Ibiza next week but the owner of the villa has said that we can't charge the car there because they are off grid and use a solar/battery system which they feel will damage their system. I have tried arguing the case but they are adamant - no charging there.

We have looked on charge maps and most of the chargers are free but for residents and we rang the town hall in St Joan to be told that we need to bring in the vehicle registration documents and the process will take a few weeks.

Does anyone know of any charging companies on the island that we can pay without a preordered card or give us any information about the system in Spain that might allow us to charge on the island.

We plan to charge up in Valencia on the supercharger but will only have about 200 miles left to use on the island and then do the 90 miles back to Valencia after our holiday. A charger in Denia before we get on the ferry might help but we don't know what companies might take a credit card. We are starting to get very anxious about this trip.

Thanks for any help people can give us.

Hi - Thanks for the comments. I have one as well as the Schuko plug that fits in but I have never seen a caravan park on the Island. It seems we might need to book into Atzaro, one of the more expensive hotels on the island just to get a charge.

regards

Norman

I dunno about the island but in our town in Catalonia the recycling point AKA tip has some interesting sockets. Possible help? Our town's tip tenders were more than amused with our enquiry.

Learning some Catalan goes a long way...

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_105142.jpg
    IMG_20200805_105142.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 115
I think that plugshare is just a map rather than a charging company - I may have this wrong. There are lots of chargers on the island but almost all that I have looked at need a residency pass and a card from the local town hall to charge.

Thanks for the reply - We've been learning Spanish for the last 6 months - Catalan seems a different ball game. Only just got used to the new Catalan road signs on the Island.
Few non-speakers of one of the languages tend to know that there are six official languages in Spain.
The good news is that if you learn Catalan in the islands you'll have a charming odd accent if you choose university in Barcelona.
Learning Portuguese and French taught me lots about that. Bizarre but learning the linguistic structures never have helped me to actually speak any of them better. It does help with reading.
That said, Ibiza seems a delightful place to go in a Tesla.

Maybe try and find some expats/local brits that can assist you?... you would normally find a congregation somewhere.. maybe someone on holiday that can log you your car as theirs in their hotel booking... Just thinking out loud here

Few non-speakers of one of the languages tend to know that there are six official languages in Spain.
The good news is that if you learn Catalan in the islands you'll have a charming odd accent if you choose university in Barcelona.
Learning Portuguese and French taught me lots about that. Bizarre but learning the linguistic structures never have helped me to actually speak any of them better. It does help with reading.
That said, Ibiza seems a delightful place to go in a Tesla.

Molt bé ;)

We are driving to Ibiza next week but the owner of the villa has said that we can't charge the car there because they are off grid and use a solar/battery system which they feel will damage their system. I have tried arguing the case but they are adamant - no charging there.

Perhaps not much help to you, but I can understand the owner's concerns. An off-grid house will have a battery and charging capacity that's a great deal smaller than the capacity of a Tesla battery pack. The house battery capacity may well be only about 20% or so of the car's battery capacity. Given that most of that capacity will be needed to run the house, at best there might only be a pretty small amount of reserve capacity available for anything else.

The owners may not realise that you can programme the car charge rate to a low level, though, so it might be worth asking them if you could, say, charge at 8 A, or perhaps 10 A. There may be enough spare generating capacity from the solar system to cover this - we have 25 panels covering the south side of our roof and I can usually charge at between 8 A and 10 A on a very sunny day, although I can only do this after lunchtime, when both the house battery system and hot water system have had a chance to get fully charged. The lowest charge rate you can set is 6 A, but at this low rate charging is pretty inefficient, due to the fixed losses in the car onboard charger.

Perhaps not much help to you, but I can understand the owner's concerns. An off-grid house will have a battery and charging capacity that's a great deal smaller than the capacity of a Tesla battery pack. The house battery capacity may well be only about 20% or so of the car's battery capacity. Given that most of that capacity will be needed to run the house, at best there might only be a pretty small amount of reserve capacity available for anything else.

The owners may not realise that you can programme the car charge rate to a low level, though, so it might be worth asking them if you could, say, charge at 8 A, or perhaps 10 A. There may be enough spare generating capacity from the solar system to cover this - we have 25 panels covering the south side of our roof and I can usually charge at between 8 A and 10 A on a very sunny day, although I can only do this after lunchtime, when both the house battery system and hot water system have had a chance to get fully charged. The lowest charge rate you can set is 6 A, but at this low rate charging is pretty inefficient, due to the fixed losses in the car onboard charger.

We're off grid and charge when our house battery (7.5kW) is full or nearly so which is quite enough for our modest needs.

When sun is shining the surplus goes into the car, amen. In the winter this may not be quite so productive but we have a SC less than 15 miles away.

growingpower.jpg

Beats the heck out of growing kale on that patch :)

We're off grid and charge when our house battery (7.5kW) is full or nearly so which is quite enough for our modest needs.

When sun is shining the surplus goes into the car, amen. In the winter this may not be quite so productive but we have a SC less than 15 miles away.

View attachment 582430

Beats the heck out of growing kale on that patch :)

I do the same, and although I can slowly top up the car, I can't reliably charge the car for long at a high rate. We have 25 panels on the roof, so well over 6 kWp, but the hot water system (~10 kWh) will take most of the power for the first half of the morning, and the battery (~9.6 kWh) usually takes a few hours to top up (after the hot water is done), so we don't usually have enough spare for the car charge point to start a charge until about lunchtime most summer days. I've sometimes seen the car charge rate get up to about 18 A to 20 A for short periods, but most of the time when the charge point is running in "solar charge" mode it seems to sit at between 8 A and 12 A, closer to 8 A much of the time.

I've pretty much managed to run the car purely on solar power for the past few months, but part of that is down to not driving as much, plus we had exceptionally good weather this year (beat all generation records since the system went live in 2014).

Reactions: M3noob
I do the same, and although I can slowly top up the car, I can't reliably charge the car for long at a high rate. We have 25 panels on the roof, so well over 6 kWp, but the hot water system (~10 kWh) will take most of the power for the first half of the morning, and the battery (~9.6 kWh) usually takes a few hours to top up (after the hot water is done), so we don't usually have enough spare for the car charge point to start a charge until about lunchtime most summer days. I've sometimes seen the car charge rate get up to about 18 A to 20 A for short periods, but most of the time when the charge point is running in "solar charge" mode it seems to sit at between 8 A and 12 A, closer to 8 A much of the time.

I've pretty much managed to run the car purely on solar power for the past few months, but part of that is down to not driving as much, plus we had exceptionally good weather this year (beat all generation records since the system went live in 2014).

We have gas hot water and are about to get central heating installed "down south" (brilliant Thermaskirt from here in the UK) so we are only running the kitchen appliances, TV and other small electrical odds and sods off the battery. Plenty for the car when the sun shines... we haven't experienced a winter with this system yet. Two backup petrol generators lurk in the chapel :)

We're on Octopus Go here so the car locally runs on solar and wind power. I never considered myself an eco-freak but I'm sure filling that job description. Anybody here need a referal? £50 for each of us with my link :)

We'd be sitting pretty if we could realise V2G. Run the car from the solar in summer, run the house from the car in winter's short days and cloudy skies

We'd be sitting pretty if we could realise V2G. Run the car from the solar in summer, run the house from the car in winter's short days and cloudy skies
I thought V2G was only that - to grid. Not to House. They know they can't do that or there could be a cottage industry of free to supercharge Tesla's sucking up the electrons at the Supercharger to bring home to power the house for free!

I think that plugshare is just a map rather than a charging company - I may have this wrong. There are lots of chargers on the island but almost all that I have looked at need a residency pass and a card from the local town hall to charge.
plugshare is just a map
You could try posting on the Spain forum?
Spain
Maybe you can find someone with local knowledge or if you get really lucky a mains socket/charge card they will lend you :)
i know in the reverse situation the people on this forum would bend over backwards to help a visiting Tesla owner if they could.
good luck