Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! First dent and wife without any sympathy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so painful. Backed it into my kids bike. I’ve seen extreme variations in price for this. Anyone know how much this might cost to fix? Must i take it to Tesla, or can i use a reputable body shop?

Attachments

• 52E9F213-4CF4-4A20-B705-02940B32DE70.jpeg
    52E9F213-4CF4-4A20-B705-02940B32DE70.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 187
  • 8C25C7D2-77B8-438B-B06B-1BE027057036.jpeg
    8C25C7D2-77B8-438B-B06B-1BE027057036.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 157
  • 30E36267-EC21-4311-87D6-41EEFEFCB324.jpeg
    30E36267-EC21-4311-87D6-41EEFEFCB324.jpeg
    383.4 KB · Views: 146
you can bring that to any body shop you trust. looks like paint is missing so they will need to pop the dent out, sand, paint and blend into corresponding panels.

the cheaper route would be to get PDR to pop the dent out and touch up paint, this will only mask it and it will look like a scar when done.

I thought i likely could, but online i found two cautions. The first is that it is aluminum body so more difficult to work with. The second is that the area of the dent is part of the body, also making it harder to work with. One person suggested 7k to fix like new, but that sounds crazy high. I am in the Washington area, by the way.

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune. It is, after all, a car. Think how much worse it would have been had you backed into your kid instead of your kid's bike, and you'll be able to laugh about the dent. Don't get it fixed. It will remind you to be more careful. And more importantly, if you get it fixed, the next dent will be as painful. If you leave it, the next dent will be just, Ho, hum, another dent.

I feel your pain--I was without my model S for 3 1/2 weeks after someone dented my rear panel and bumper just below the charge port while the car was legally parked in a parking structure.

Of course! Thanks. Anyone have real world experience with PDR? I think that back panel is part of the frame and can’t be removed. Isn’t that a prerequisite for pdr?
Experience with PDR. Yes, they are amazing. Worth twice/three times their costs. However not everything can be fixed via PDR. But go see one or two of them before you do anything/anyone else.

I just stopped by to say: it’s your car. If you wanna see an example of a meticulously perfectly maintained specimen, go to a show room....

An expensive vehicle like this provides you so much joy beyond just how it looks. Letting a day to say proverbial battle scar drag you down would take away from all the reason(s) you got this ultra high tech spaceship for yourself!

Best of luck in repairs but not feeling personally worked up over vehicle damage has made me so much happier in life.

• Funny
Reactions: Shiro
I'd be really bummed. Did your wife cause the dent, or does she just not want you to get it fixed? I don't think you need to go for complete perfection, but PDR and touch up paint at least. I wouldn't spend more than $1,000, but I'm kind of a tightwad. I would definitely avoid the, price gouging, Tesla certified shops. For this anyway.

Here is
Good to know! I’ll definitely look into PDR. My wife didn’t cause the dent, and she is actually quite a lovely person. She just falls into the - it’s a daily driver so it’ll get dents - school of thought... :)
Some of the stuff that a good PDR tech can fix is amazing. I was stunned with some of the creases and large dents that you can see being removed on youtube.