Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Horrific battery draining while parked in long term parking structure - I've got 12 days to go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
COP in Fan Only mode cools the passenger cabin but can't hold the same 105F cabin temperature as COP with AC. It helps keep the cabin from baking too badly; a blocking sunscreen for the windshield and glass roof would be best as would parking under a roof structure.
Since we're getting specific, minor correction. The COP in Fan Only doesn't "cool" the passenger cabin. It draws outdoor air through the cabin.

Since we're getting specific, minor correction. The COP in Fan Only doesn't "cool" the passenger cabin. It draws outdoor air through the cabin.
COP fan only mode has the effect of cooling the interior temperature of the passenger cabin by drawing in outside air while removing air from the cabin that is significantly warmer than the outside air temperature. Opening the windows and leaving the windows down would also help cool the passenger cabin. Not implying active cooling other than the HVAC fan moving the air.

Since COP in Fan only to "cool" inside cabin temperature then personally I won't use/need it,
If I park out side in the sun, then I can start HVAC a few minutes before I need to go
If I park at an airport for days. the inside temp may reach 150F+ which still does not damage the Cabin materials. It took 20+ years for me to see a fine crack on the dashboard of our 1996 MB E-320 and 1987 Camry, mainly due to the loss of "plasticizer" in plastic materials. I still drive my MB with a big smile on my face

Since COP in Fan only to "cool" inside cabin temperature then personally I won't use/need it,
If I park out side in the sun, then I can start HVAC a few minutes before I need to go
If I park at an airport for days. the inside temp may reach 150F+ which still does not damage the Cabin materials. It took 20+ years for me to see a fine crack on the dashboard of our 1996 MB E-320 and 1987 Camry, mainly due to the loss of "plasticizer" in plastic materials. I still drive my MB with a big smile on my face
Parking at an airport is not a good use case for COP since COP is only active for the first 12 hours after you park.

I thought I’d add my two cents about leaving my 2022 Y at the Minneapolis airport for a week in February. Average temp about 15-20 degrees. When I got to the airport, it was 90% charged. I had all the security stuff turned off. My dealer said he’d check it midweek and heat up the battery. At that time it was still 88%. Today, day 6, it’s still 88%. So over a cold week I’ve lost virtually nothing. Coming home tomorrow so unless my app is giving me false readings I’ll be good to go.

I'll try this, I just logged into the app. car was at 62% now. I enabled sentry mode, went to live view and looked through a camera, saw the garage. quit the view and disabled entry mode. Will see if that makes a difference.
Check if you have any third party software on your phone for car analytics. I installed EEVEE and my drain increased from less than 1% per day to 5-6% per day. EEVEE tells they program not using extra power but it is. As soon as I change password on my car and disable EEVEE access to my car drain return to normal. I was on vacation for 2 weeks (car not connected to EEVEE) and when come back battery depleted only on 10% which is in normal range.
let me know if this is helpful

Check if you have any third party software on your phone for car analytics. I installed EEVEE and my drain increased from less than 1% per day to 5-6% per day. EEVEE tells they program not using extra power but it is. As soon as I change password on my car and disable EEVEE access to my car drain return to normal. I was on vacation for 2 weeks (car not connected to EEVEE) and when come back battery depleted only on 10% which is in normal range.
let me know if this is helpful
I have been using EEVEE for about three months and in my case can confirm it has NEVER woken the car. It updates the data only when the car is awake for other reasons like topping off the low voltage battery, driving, charging, downloading firmware etc. The EEVEE app has a last seen time stamp that works correct on the iOS version of the app but shows random last seen times on the Android version (which could indicate the app was waking the car). I have a Bluetooth monitor on the low voltage battery with a 31 day history that shows when the car is awake/asleep. It appears the last seen time is a bug in the Android version of the app.

I have been using EEVEE for about three months and in my case can confirm it has NEVER woken the car. It updates the data only when the car is awake for other reasons like topping off the low voltage battery, driving, charging, downloading firmware etc. The EEVEE app has a last seen time stamp that works correct on the iOS version of the app but shows random last seen times on the Android version (which could indicate the app was waking the car). I have a Bluetooth monitor on the low voltage battery with a 31 day history that shows when the car is awake/asleep. It appears the last seen time is a bug in the Android version of the app.
I’m just telling my experience. Probably this is depend on what car model you have. I have Model X 90D 2016. As soon as I change password car stop loosing 5-7% per day and return to normal drain ~ 1% in 24-48 hours.

Hello,

I am out of the country right now, over 6,000 miles away. I left my car parked in a 3rd floor of a long term airport parking structure. I charged it to 90% before I left my house, arrived and parked at 79% on the late night of 11/10. I made sure to turn off sentry mode, turned off preconditioning, turned off cabin overheat protection, disabled any tessie routines I had and left the car to head out of the country. I've been checking it because I noticed significant phantom drain even though it shouldn't be running anything. It's losing 4-5% per day so far.

It's now just a couple hours past 3 days and my car is now at 63% battery. I've lost 16% in about 80 hours parked in a parking structure!!! What the hell is wrong? The car should be going to sleep, right?
This is why it is just better to leave your EV at home charged and take an uber/lyft to the airport so you don't have to worry about this situation.

Reactions: h2ofun and howardnj
Part of the decrease could have also been do to the battery cooling off. I've seen this many times. My hunch is you could have been gone another 4 or 5 days and probably still had about the same percentage loss. I parked my Model 3 for 10 days at the airport and lost 5%. This was the during August and it was hot out so I didn't experience any loss percentage due to cooling (sentry, and COP were also off).

Reactions: boulder.dude