Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help: Horrific battery draining while parked in long term parking structure - I've got 12 days to go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new owner and what I'm experiencing is way off of these rates everyone is reporting. I'm seeing about 1% drop per four hours. I don't have sentry mode on, or cabin heat whatever it's called. I don't have 3rd party apps. I've gotten to the point where I'm trying to force stop my app so it won't connect to the car. It just drains so fast. I charged Monday and I'm at under 60% and I've only gone 30 some miles.
Check that Summon Standby Mode is off under Controls > Autopilot > Standby Mode:
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
Check Cabin Overheat Protection is off under Controls > Safety > Cabin Overheat Protection:
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
What's more I've been trying to figure out why drain is so high, I was in 300s despite driving so slow and gentle f150s are blowing by me. I'm driving well under the speed limit usually. I think I've come to the conclusion this is because I'm usually driving under 25 minutes and live on a not too steep hill. It looks like going uphill drains crazy battery. When I'm not going up a hill I can get mid to low 200s.
Anyways I'll check preconditioning is off but it seems my vampire drain is way off the bell curve. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Uphill definitely drains more range. There's a later update that will update the Energy app in the car to show more details:
Detailed look at the new Energy App in update 2022.36 (updated with more images and video)

If you have larger wheels or a LR or Performance model, you will also have higher consumption. The most efficient is the RWD using the 18" Aero wheels.

I don't have summon mode available to me and cabin overheat protection is off. I thought about turning off allow mobile access but then I'd not be able to heat the car in the morning right? I did force stop the app since it seems to connect to the car every five minutes. I think it only went down 1% last night so that's good. However the phone app didn't let me into the car or start it after that.

On the bright side I only consumed 2% over 7 miles so that's exciting. It's the first time I cracked 1% per 2 miles, even though my average kWh/m is 277

You said "Any app connected to your car is going to work against your expectations of leaving a car parked for 2 weeks without a hassle.".

I said paraphrasing: "TeslaMate does not have this problem".

TeslaMate does not send API calls to Tesla that wake the car up.

It knows the latest information of the car that Tesla knows, without waking it up. So if your car went to sleep 24 hours ago and hasn't woken up and phoned home, that's the latest bit of information you'll have.

Most cars wake up for an hour or two every 18-36 hours to off the 12V battery. If I let my car sit with Teslamate monitoring the car, I can see that it does this, and uses about 1% a week to top off the 12V battery.

Presumably most apps are doing the same thing and polling Tesla's servers without waking up the car all the time, otherwise people would complain about vampire drain all the time and stop using those apps. Now maybe Tessie does actually wake the car up periodically, no matter what. But unless it's constantly doing so and doing it more than a few times a day, it wouldn't cause the kind of vampire drain that the OP is seeing.
With all due respect Dave, all of this is silly. Vampire drain is an enigma. Some Tesla’s have it worse than others and nobody knows why. My wife’s Model X has less drain my MY, my neighbor has the same car as me (built 2 weeks later) and his situation is different.. point being, no two Tesla’s are alike. For all we know, the OP has an issue that has nothing to do with 3rd party apps.. yet you and I are having a separate convo trying to convince one another differently. I digress.

Moral of the story?: don’t travel for weeks on end if you are going to worry about phantom draining?

Lol, good times

With all due respect Dave, all of this is silly. Vampire drain is an enigma. Some Tesla’s have it worse than others and nobody knows why. My wife’s Model X has less drain my MY, my neighbor has the same car as me (built 2 weeks later) and his situation is different.. point being, no two Tesla’s are alike. For all we know, the OP has an issue that has nothing to do with 3rd party apps.. yet you and I are having a separate convo trying to convince one another differently. I digress.

Moral of the story?: don’t travel for weeks on end if you are going to worry about phantom draining?

Lol, good times
To be fair, this is not something that non-nerdy car drivers should have to worry about. You should be able to park your car for months and not worry about it. You might need to put your car into a "super sleep" mode but it should last for months, and ideally you should not even have to do this change, it should notice.

Ideally the car would be designed with a very low power computer that can handle the basics of listening to the radio connection and noticing attempts to get into the car, upon which time it could wake up the main computer if needed. Frankly, it should not need to wake up the main computer for basic functions such as a brief status query, or detecting a keycard/fob. Such a device should draw only a few watts and be able to last many months.

However, if the carmaker did not include such a low power computer, it has another option. In super-sleep mode, it would wake up on a schedule, perhaps waking up less and less as time goes by until it's waking up only a few times a day. Your app would know the schedule, and tell you, "Sorry, if you want to remotely let somebody else in the car or do other complex things you will have to wait 30 minutes, unless you warn me in advance." You would be able to queue up requests to be done at the next wakeup.

If you park your car for a year you might have to wait many hours before you can wake it up. That's fine. Having to leave it plugged in during any long wait is a poor design.

To be fair, this is not something that non-nerdy car drivers should have to worry about. You should be able to park your car for months and not worry about it. You might need to put your car into a "super sleep" mode but it should last for months, and ideally you should not even have to do this change, it should notice.

Ideally the car would be designed with a very low power computer that can handle the basics of listening to the radio connection and noticing attempts to get into the car, upon which time it could wake up the main computer if needed. Frankly, it should not need to wake up the main computer for basic functions such as a brief status query, or detecting a keycard/fob. Such a device should draw only a few watts and be able to last many months.

However, if the carmaker did not include such a low power computer, it has another option. In super-sleep mode, it would wake up on a schedule, perhaps waking up less and less as time goes by until it's waking up only a few times a day. Your app would know the schedule, and tell you, "Sorry, if you want to remotely let somebody else in the car or do other complex things you will have to wait 30 minutes, unless you warn me in advance." You would be able to queue up requests to be done at the next wakeup.

If you park your car for a year you might have to wait many hours before you can wake it up. That's fine. Having to leave it plugged in during any long wait is a poor design.
It’s relatively new technology bro. We are not there yet. At the end of the day, Tesla themselves even recommend keeping your car connected to a charger if you plan to leave it unused for a long period of time. They’ve covered their bases.

The idea of leaving a car alone for two weeks and it being fine is reserved for traditional ICE vehicles….

Those “non-enthusiasts” Tesla owners who expect this car to behave like their previous Mazda need to take a few minutes and educate themselves on their new Tesla.

It’s a weird, unprecedented issue - getting people to confirm to this new dynamic of everyday vehicle.

OP has an issue, fine.. but it’s not crazy to be concerned that his car might be dead after two weeks. Veteran Tesla owners would never put themselves in his/her situation.

I'm a new owner and what I'm experiencing is way off of these rates everyone is reporting. I'm seeing about 1% drop per four hours. I don't have sentry mode on, or cabin heat whatever it's called. I don't have 3rd party apps. I've gotten to the point where I'm trying to force stop my app so it won't connect to the car. It just drains so fast. I charged Monday and I'm at under 60% and I've only gone 30 some miles.
What's more I've been trying to figure out why drain is so high, I was in 300s despite driving so slow and gentle f150s are blowing by me. I'm driving well under the speed limit usually. I think I've come to the conclusion this is because I'm usually driving under 25 minutes and live on a not too steep hill. It looks like going uphill drains crazy battery. When I'm not going up a hill I can get mid to low 200s.
Anyways I'll check preconditioning is off but it seems my vampire drain is way off the bell curve. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
You might need to break in your tires, then efficiency will improve.

If left for a few hours, the % might drop a bit just due to the battery recalibrating. It might not indicate a consistent drain over time.

This is a fascinating discussion and I am learning alot about my car through this. Good luck with the battery!! And I didn't know about "remote start".
Thank you!

You might need to break in your tires, then efficiency will improve.

If left for a few hours, the % might drop a bit just due to the battery recalibrating. It might not indicate a consistent drain over time.
That might be the case. I feel like it might be getting better. At 265kwh/m I'm getting 5 miles for about 2%. I was told measuring in miles is more accurate than percentage, I might switch to that. It certainly isn't accurate but the measurement units are more granular.

On a bright note, vampire drain seems to be greatly diminished. Whereas earlier I was seeing 1% over 4 hours, over the last day it was much less. 1% overnight. No idea why, I didn't change any options.

Thank you!

That might be the case. I feel like it might be getting better. At 265kwh/m I'm getting 5 miles for about 2%. I was told measuring in miles is more accurate than percentage, I might switch to that. It certainly isn't accurate but the measurement units are more granular.

On a bright note, vampire drain seems to be greatly diminished. Whereas earlier I was seeing 1% over 4 hours, over the last day it was much less. 1% overnight. No idea why, I didn't change any options.

Update: it seems that the first few minutes have pretty bad battery drain, gradually normalizing after fifteen to twenty five minutes. Also going up any kind of incline is a huge battery drain. I could be at 220kwph average and then hitting a few hundred yards of 15 degrees will bump that average into the 330s.

Vampire drain has become much less of an issue. I didn't drive for a day and a half and the drain was 1%. The car went to sleep last way through and couldn't be woken up except by card.

I've been monitoring battery use by Tessie and photos of the Tesla screen between drives. Tessie is becoming increasingly inaccurate. It's 2% off between what's reporting and the car report of battery percent left. I was attributing the drift to rounding error but that seems out of band.