Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help I nearly blew a speaker -- again!! BlueTooth/AudioBook Volume help..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
So I listen to lot of audio books in my Model S and I find the BlueTooth volume very very low. I usually listen at 7 or 8 if all the windows are closed or 8-9 if the sunroof is open.

I have become pretty good at lowering the volume b4 exiting the car or switching audio source to slacker but today someone sent me a Facebook video that I was watching without sound and out of curiosity I wanted to hear the background music... and

BOOOM!!

what kills me the most is that in this instance there was no speech in the video.. so i could have just watched it on mute as is the default setting for facebook videos and not missed anything or endangered my speakers.

anyway.. my main question:

what can be done so I am not listening to audio books at 7-10. I listen to slacker and TuneIn at 4-5 and even then it is pretty loud. and even tho the volume on my iPhone was not at max, the FaceBook video that nearly blew my speaker was loud anyway. so it is something to do with audiobooks (iTunes music i stream via BlueTooth to the car is also not super loud but, louder than the audio books.

what do the rest of you audiobook listeners do to get around this? any tips? I want to save whats left of my speakers.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
If Tesla would actually implemented useful improvements to the media player (and not just change the user interface appearance), one huge feature they should add is different volume levels for each audio source, since the media playing for each source may be at different levels.

For Bluetooth devices, the device itself also controls volume - so it's not unusual the volume on the device is set below 100%, which requires cranking the volume up higher in the Tesla media player to 8-10 in order to hear the Bluetooth audio.

And then when you switch to another source, such as radio or USB, the audio is way too loud.

Though, since we're still waiting for the bug fixes to the "improvements" made in 8.0 (USB shuffle mode, forgetting the currently playing USB song, loss of XM radio station slider, loss of XM station list/channel info, ...), it could be a while before Tesla gets around to addressing the audio level issue.

Perhaps if enough owner blew out their speakers due to this problem and Tesla had to make a lot of warranty repairs, they'd get the problem fixed...

Your thread title is over dramatized clickbait. You didn't almost blow a speaker.

With that being said, I agree, each time I switch sources I need to adjust the volume. Each time I change speeds I need to adjust the volume.

How hard is it to add these features? My wife makes fun of me, because her car can do the latter, but costs a fraction of the Tesla.

I listen to audio books from Audible all the time in my car using the Kindle app on my phone streaming over bluetooth. I have the volume on the phone set to 100% and the volume in the car usually on 7 or so in order to hear clearly. I wouldn't try and listen to audio books with the windows down or sunroof open, it would be too much background noise.

I do have the issue of it being way too loud if I switch to another source like music or something, but it isn't loud enough to damage the speakers. In fact sometimes I intentionally turn music up to 7 or even 8 when I want it to be really loud.