Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me: Buy a Used Model 3 or Used Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to Tesla today and test drove a dual motor M3.

It was amazing... but

The total cost came out to $66,000 out the door with taxes for a AWD with EAP

I would get $10k back in rebates, but that puts me at $56k still.

I was hoping to stay under $50,000 :/

So, any chance I can pickup a M3 used for under 50k w EAP?

I went to Tesla today and test drove a dual motor M3.

It was amazing... but

The total cost came out to $66,000 out the door with taxes for a AWD with EAP

I would get $10k back in rebates, but that puts me at $56k still.

I was hoping to stay under $50,000 :/

So, any chance I can pickup a M3 used for under 50k w EAP?

I think majority of Model 3 owners are having so much fun with their cars, and they probably don't think about selling the car unless they feel the car is not for them. If the cost is big issue, why not opt out EAP and that should get close to $51K(after rebate?) for a brand new Model 3, which is closer to your desired amount.

You can always add EAP later and just don't start the EAP trial until you know for sure you will get it. So far the purchase price during EAP Trial and up to 1 week after it ends is $5,500+tax for post delivery. However, take with grain of salt as Tesla can do anything in the future with pricing.

Otherwise the tax credit gets smaller after you miss out 12/31 and that may be against your favor.

Hi,

I am long time BMW owner and currently drive a '17 340i.

I'm facing a decision between buying a used M3 or a used MS.

So, which one should I buy?
what is the best place to buy a used Tesla? Ebay any good?
If I buy a 2014 MS, will the autopilot work just as good as a 2018 M3?

Here's my must haves:

1. Autopilot
2. Price 50k or less
3. < than 40k miles.
4. 2015+ (i guess b/c I don't want something too old?)
$50k?! Why not buy a new 3

Buy the single motor. Unless you live in the Australian outback during a rainstorm. And I know living in LA you don't need dual motor.

When I got mine, there was only RWD, but after 6 months+, I haven't ever seen reason to want anything else.

I want to buy the RWD bc it makes more sense economically - but everyone keeps telling me to buy AWD over n over again bc of how fast it is + extra 50 miles range.

I’m kind of torn :/

Another thing is: AWD delivery may take place before Dec 31 vs a RWD delivery in Jan - which means, I lose 3750 in tax credits - so the AWD is technically only costing me $3250 , not the full $7,000 - if u take that into account

Man, this is getting complicated lol

I want to buy the RWD bc it makes more sense economically - but everyone keeps telling me to buy AWD over n over again bc of how fast it is + extra 50 miles range.

I’m kind of torn :/

Another thing is: AWD delivery may take place before Dec 31 vs a RWD delivery in Jan - which means, I lose 3750 in tax credits - so the AWD is technically only costing me $3250 , not the full $7,000 - if u take that into account

Man, this is getting complicated lol
I don’t know if it’s complicated or if it simplifies your choice. I would get the AWD for $3,250 extra

I know it’s a lot... but if you can spend $50k on a used S (out of warranty in 2 years and which costs a fortune to repair), you can definitely spend $55k on a brand new AWD model 3. That car will last you a LOT longer and the resale value will be MUCH higher.

Also if you were going to buy a similar ICE... you would pay nearly as much or more.

Buy the single motor. Unless you live in the Australian outback during a rainstorm. And I know living in LA you don't need dual motor.

When I got mine, there was only RWD, but after 6 months+, I haven't ever seen reason to want anything else.
I am with you but today’s buyers face a whole set of different factors:
- Your RWD Model 3 and mine have an EPA range of 334 miles. The MR has a range of only 260 miles.
- The savings for losing so much range is only $3,000. I find the savings really hardly worth it.
- I will leave aside the issues with slower supercharging and slower acceleration
- Tax crédit expiring