Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide between LR and SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking into getting a Model 3 and am torn between the SR+ and LR. This car will mainly be used for driving around town as a daily driver (30-50km or so per day). We already have a large, full-size SUV to transport our 2 kids around with, but would also like the option of using the Model 3 for short road trips as well if possible.

The SR+ currently has the federal rebate and a much lower starting cost than the LR, so payments would be much less. However, I have always owned AWD vehicles, so driving a RWD is a bit concerning for me considering I’m in Alberta where we get big dumps of snow. I could also add FSD to the SR+ and still be paying much less than the LR without that functionality.

Would love to hear everyone’s feedback/advice as I’m sure others have debated this decision as well.

Side questions:
- Experiences with RWD in towns that have legit winter seasons?
- It says that the partial premium interior does not have streaming audio. Does this just mean you have to pay to have it or is it completely disabled?
- Sattelite maps seem pretty cool, but do you prefer them over standard maps?

Went through this myself and it depends on your financial situation and how long you want to keep your vehicle and how important AWD is to you in Snow-berta!

Keep in mind that for most of your use, you will be charging it to ~80-90% to keep the battery healthy. Which means for an SR+ of 386km range, you're averaging around 310-350km, which for short trips might work just fine for you.
However if you plan on keeping this car for the long haul, I've read that the battery degredation after about 8 years drops total usable range from 90-95% (which is still great!), Which if you are charging it to 90% drops it down to ~315km range. All this assumes flat roads, mild AC usage, economical acceleration etc.

For myself that's why I went with the Long range. I plan on keeping this car for the long haul and would rather have the larger capacity for "peace of mind" and wouldn't want the range anxiety. The Sat maps, radio , immersive sound etc. Is all just a bonus to me. For electric cars, range is paramount!

I live in Vancouver so snow isn't really a problem, so I got a LR RWD. This was already in inventory and is technically an off menu item so I got ~$3000 off the MSRP. This may entice you even though you won't get a federal discount you can still get some kind of discount! The LR RWD has the longest range (rated at 525km @ max charge). I get about 475km at 90% charge and has been very solid. The extra range on road trips means the difference between more stops at superchargers or getting to your destination faster. And since I got the 7,500km referral bonus from using a referral code, means I can drive from Vancouver to LA round trip, and another one way trip there, for free!! So be sure to use a code! (You can use mine if you don't have one. Just PM me!)

That being said, dual motor is awesome and I would shell it out if I could. Depends on your situation!

Hope that helps

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I also have LR RWD 3 w/ Nokian R3 tires and no problems this winter. If you're going to do many road trips in the winter, I would recommend LR for piece of mind. If < 150km daily driving, then SR+ good enough. On cold winter days, you'll see > 40% range degradation (at 100km/h. -20degC). From Ottawa, you would make it to Montreal with SR+ but can always top up at SC in Casselman. Going to Toronto, first SC is Kingston and I would have some range anxiety on a very cold day but still make it.

That guy mustn’t have had snow tires.

I have a LR RWD 3 in Ottawa and installed Nokian Hakkapilita R3 snow tires and it handled the snow great this past winter.

Same set up here, in Ottawa, and I use it to go skiing etc.. no problem with RWD.Keep in mind that winter range takes a huge hit, I budget 50% worst case loss since phantom drain is much worse in cold, although it is around 30% in steady driving, better if its sunny since cabin heating is a huge drain

If you don't plan on doing long road trips, I would go SR+, with the rebate it is the way to go. Even if SR+, still very doable on road trips.

I got LR model with $14k provincial rebate in Ontario, I charge once a week

Side questions:
- Experiences with RWD in towns that have legit winter seasons?
- It says that the partial premium interior does not have streaming audio. Does this just mean you have to pay to have it or is it completely disabled?
- Sattelite maps seem pretty cool, but do you prefer them over standard maps?

I watched some YouTube videos and it handled fine in snow.

This thread is my exact struggle. I don't have any answers but I can share what I have gone through while debating SR+ or LR RWD on a daily basis for the last few months.

Being in Alberta too I have looked in to the effectiveness of RWD in winter conditions and with proper tires any concerns I had were alleviated. Plus there is improved traction control in the Tesla that will help too. Yes, AWD will be more effective but I don't doubt that the RWD can manage on snowy days.

With my mind set on a RWD the debate comes back to the cost and benefit of increased range and upgraded interior. With the Federal Rebate on the SR+ ($5K) and $7,400 difference in SR+ to LR configuration is range and interior worth the extra $12K? Maybe. Will those extra speakers be that much more enjoyable? Or live traffic view be that much of a benefit? Perhaps.

How much is my time worth on a ski trip from Edmonton to Fernie (BC)? According to ABetterRoutePlanner I would need two more Supercharger stops and an extra hour to do the 650KM drive in winter. Factor in unexpected winter conditions, cargo and cold weather degradation what unnecessary range anxiety am I subjecting myself to?

Regardless of which vehicle I buy there are accessories like a winter tire set, paint protection and ceramic coating, all season mats, etc. that are needed and buying the SR+ gives me a little more budget to work with and take the sting off of those upgrades.

I do feel range anxiety and would like to know that if the charger in Rocky Mountain House isn't operational that I can make it to the Supercharger in Red Deer...but for the few times a year I make a long distance trip is that stress worth $12K?

I have talked myself into, and out of a SR+ a few times even while even writing this. I know what you're going through and everyone has an opinion on pros and cons of each so I will actively follow along and see if I can find a decision and settle my debate once and for all.

• Helpful
I just want to chime in with my experience. If you don't make long distance trips often, take the SR+. The money you saved will get you FSD plus the best winter tires.

I have Nokia Hakka 9 studded tires and had no issues last winter in Calgary and in the mountains. AWD is nice to have, but not necessary. Always buy the biggest battery you can afford.

As for Gursky, SR+ will be fine for your winter trips to Fernie. If you can afford LR RWD, then go for it. If not, SR+ will do the job and you just need to spend some extra time charging.

• Helpful
I'll add that the SR+ charges at 105kW max at (v2) Superchargers, where as the LR (RWD, AWD or P) charges at 145kW max, if that matters to you.

I prefer the standard map most of the time over satellite map.

You won't be missing much without built-in streaming audio. Just stream on your phone over BT to to the car.

There’s no way he had winter tires. I drove in worse snow than that over the winter several times. I have LR RWD with winters. He keeps saying he’s slipping as he drives while having slip start on. I used it once when I was stuck and got out no problem. I then turned it off so the traction control would prevent slipping. There’s real value in going to a parking lot with a new car just after a good snow and learning the car you drive. I did this with my 3 and couldn’t get it to do a donut. I tried. Hard. I turned on slip start and it was all over the place. When I was done I knew I’d be fine since my highway driving would be way less aggressive. This guy just doesn’t know how to drive.

Reactions: sheamurai
Almost criminal that your government would structure their rebates to only apply to RWD vehicle instead of the more capable AWD in snowy Canada.

The throttle control is excellent in Tesla. Probably going to be pretty good in the snow.

Nice that you will have your full sized SUV for those days of heavy snow accumulation.

With good snow tires and some experience, you should get around pretty good. Even the SR+ gets pretty good range. Both Superchargers and other fast chargers are rolling out rapidly around Canada. That range should work out well in almost all cases for you.