Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me decide - Model S P85 or pre-owned BMW M5 (new F10)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I spec the Model S as I want it - it is very close to $100k. I can find a very low mileage (<5000) '13 BMW M5 for upper $80's. Really like the p85 but M5 has more content (HUD, range, track capable, luxury items, etc.) and is slightly more proven. Hard to say which is more fun to drive. I really like the new P85 tho - and would like to say good bye to gas stations and all that is behind ICE transportation solutions. Truly would have to reprogram my brain to learn to love the lack of a hi performance exhaust note.
I thought the bimmer would kills the Model S on cost of ownership and it obviously does in fuel - but the $600 a year is a bit of a pain given I drive only 9k a year. BMW provides zero maint costs for 48 months. As cool as the M5 is - P85 is cooler. AND has less porcupine effect (compared to BMW).

Have really enjoyed reading comments on this board - very articulate and pasionate group.

Personal choice. If I were in your shoes... I think I'd conclude that the M5 is cool, but nothing gets the kind of attention an MS -- or even more, a Roadster -- gets on the street. I had Lambo drivers rubbernecking to check out the Roadster, OK?

For me, the actual value of having a car that is responsible to its ecosystem and does not pollute is too high to ignore. You can put whatever you want into an ICE car now... I do not want it. I want electric, I want clean, and the Model S delivers both while also being a killer car in every other respect. No ICE for me. Not ever again.

Unfortunately, that's something only you can decide. For myself, I would never even consider a gas car in this price range. The only reason I have a Model S is because it's all electric and has a usable range.

Drive both and then decide, there is no substitute for the instant torque a Model S provides. If on the other hand if the HUD etc are very high on your list of must haves then the Model S will disappoint in those regards. I can't answer if you will miss those added features, I don't but then I upgraded from a '67 Shelby Mustang replica, which didn't even have A/C.

As far as price, the Model S saves you 2,300 a year on gas. So the Model S service should be painless. I don't personally own one, but I went on a test drive of the P85 and it is insane fast. I think that it is the silence that makes you giggle. Plus the one thing about the M5 exhaust note is that since I think 2010 they have been putting it though the speaker system. Personally that ruins it for me, The touch screen is amazing that should seal the deal!

Your comment that it is hard to say which one is more fun to drive makes me think you haven't driven a model S. Is that correct? If so, go get a test drive in a performance MS. I'll bet you won't have trouble deciding after that.

(HUD, range, track capable, luxury items, etc.)

I'm biased but:

HUD is over-rated; a 17" LCD and 12" LCD instrument panel is way cooler
Range in model is fine; sometimes I forget to plug in at night.
Model S can go on the track too (I haven't). Model S is faster 0-100; see youtube.
Model S has Luxury items also: push a button, ask for any song, and it plays. Navigation has simultaneous birds eye view and top-down view provided by Google Maps and is easy to type in address (or speak). So easy to make hands free call (literally two button presses: phone, then the person you want to call. Works like iphone). Frunk is great, trunk is spacious - what an eye turner at the car wash. HD backup camera is awesome. Stereo sounds awesome. No stupid middle hump in Model S like other gas cars. Model S drives smoothly with no engine vibration, gear shifting, or rambunctious noise.

Oh yeah, almost forgot haha...Model S doesn't need gas....

However, if there's one thing Model S needs it's: side mirror blind spot detection. That's all I can complain about.

Nonetheless, I won't go for a gas car again. This is it.

You know this is tough to be objective about. I, and likely most of the people on this board, have been following the Model S for 3-4 years. The anticipation of getting this car built to a fever pitch. Not many here were really weighing this car versus other options. This was the dream car.

For me, this car was more than 2x more expensive than any car I've ever purchased. It's probably the most expensive car I will ever buy. In general, I think spending a ton of money on a car is dumb from a long-term wealth building standpoint. However, I loved the car, could afford the car and got it.

So getting past the point of questioning whether this is the best place to get unbiased info (it isn't)... Comparing the two cars objectively:
Performance - Tesla
Exterior Styling - Tesla
Interior - BMW
Wow Factor - Tesla (unless you live in Silicon Valley where everyone is driving them now) (-;
Cost - BMW (though you could skip the performance and pay a comparable price for the Tesla)
Technology - Push (for you at least), Tesla clearly more "techy" but lacks HUD and sensors
Maintenance - ??? BMW will be expensive. Tesla potentially could be much worse, or much better. Who knows? I suppose with BMW you know at least what to expect.
Flexibility/Praticality - BMW - you can drive it across the country without a worry. Tesla not so much.

In the end, it's a tough decision. Much good about both cars. I think the Tesla will be a departure from anything you've ever driven. I think you'll adore the car. However, if my wife didn't have a gasser, I likely wouldn't have gone that route.

As a former M5 owner (e34, e39, e60), and having driven and nearly purchased the f10, I can say without a doubt that I do not regret getting the P85. It is the only variant
of Model S to consider, but it supersedes the M5 (f10) in enough categories to make perfect sense.

Just test drive one and make a decision.

Sent via Tapatalk

Flexibility/Praticality - BMW - you can drive it across the country without a worry. Tesla not so much.

You are correct. But in "flexibility/practicality", I'd also note that I do road trips maybe 5-10 days a year, max. The other 355+ days I'm driving around Miami and the surrounding areas, and even on a VERY long driving day I don't get over 120 miles... and the P85 can do that with its eyes shut, A/C on full blast, stupid-fast acceleration at every light, and so on. So the flexibility is that I can always go anywhere I want in my daily life, without ever having to stop and think about whether I need gas... because I never do. No more stops at gas stations in the middle of the night on the way home, no more filling up in the rain, or standing outside in 95F and 95% humidity while filling up. No more fumes, no more hunting around for the best price, no more worries about whether X or Y gas station is maybe doctoring their fuel a bit to pad their margins... none of that.

IMHO flexibility/practicality favors the P85 those 355 days of the year: about 97% of the time. Yes, I have to put up with some inconvenience and more time spent planning and charging the last 3% of the time. I'll take that tradeoff every time and twice on Sunday, please.