Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me not be an idiot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have to have a look at one to see how similar the whites are. AWD is a must. AP can come later. Pano and black leather are not essential but very nice to have. Roads here are full of potholes, so 19" will be a must. Luckily the new style 19"s look good, the originals were hideous. If it was just a bit cheaper (like £50K instead of £62K), then it would be easier to bear.
For me I'm in your situation and looking into RWD. But I live in Southern California. I would not in other climates. Oh and guess what.. I learned yesterday on this forum that the $2,500 state rebate was going away :(

options we are looking: leather auto pilot and pano roof. Pano roof is a must as I am tall. Never noticed that the wheels had changed honestly.. You are right they look much better, high performance summer tires would be nice

Don't do it!!

I say this because AP has been out for a year and it ain't ready for prime time! But Tesla will have AP 2.0 out in a year or two, and you should definitely wait for that!

However, if AP is none to very very little of your motivation, then I say do it, you won't regret it.

Don't do it!!

I say this because AP has been out for a year and it ain't ready for prime time! But Tesla will have AP 2.0 out in a year or two, and you should definitely wait for that!

However, if AP is none to very very little of your motivation, then I say do it, you won't regret it.
For the record, Electricfan used to often read BOOKS while driving in traffic with AP. Yes, if you plan to read a book DO NOT USE AP.

Otherwise, lots of people disagree about AP not being ready for prime time. As long as you set your expectations correctly. AP is not Autonomous, yadda yadda yadda.

Reactions: GSP
For me I'm in your situation and looking into RWD. But I live in Southern California. I would not in other climates. Oh and guess what.. I learned yesterday on this forum that the $2,500 state rebate was going away :(

options we are looking: leather auto pilot and pano roof. Pano roof is a must as I am tall. Never noticed that the wheels had changed honestly.. You are right they look much better, high performance summer tires would be nice
AWD has a lot of advantages beyond traction. It handles much better, performance is enhanced, better range and efficiency plus power. Keep it in the mix would be my non-biased advice.

Do it NOW!
I was on the fence, until I read this post, it made my decision simple. I ordered mine Christmas day 2014. I've had the Tesla Grin ever since March 3, 2015.
Why you should not wait to buy | Tesla Motors

Aw, I wasn't ready to get all teary-eyed yet today. That was nearly two years ago, I wonder how the OP is doing now. I hope he's still well.

Re: AWD vs. RWD: If you're like the OP, on the fence and where the payments may be quite high relative to income, I would honestly lose AWD first of the options UNLESS you're a performance-minded person/"car person". If you're in it for the luxury side of things, like I am, it can probably go. The most practical part, the range savings, are minimal, in the area of 4%. It would, in that case, be more practical to go for the $9,000 75 upgrade.

Last edited:
Do it and you wont regret it. Its the best feeling to drive the tesla and never pay for gas. I would get the S and then the model 3 for the wife. Thats what I did and I couldnt be happier. Best car I have ever driven an also the most fun.
I'm in the same boat as you (S and 3), though depending on the final specs of the 3, I might get the 3 and she'll get the S :D

OP you seund like an intelligent, conservative person. If you have researched whether buying this car will affect long term plans negatively and it won't, then buy it. However, consider why you are buying it. If you are buying it because it is the first practical, long range electric car that Comes with a solution to cross country driving( Superchargers) and is a techknowlegy leader, consider that that is ALL included in the base price. All the expensive add ons do not change that. Now that car is costing you a lot less, isn't it?

Great thread!
I drive my 85D 100 miles daily so plenty of seat time to base my thoughts from. For me, budget was not an issue but I am a cheapskate at heart so I agonized over each option. Ended up ordering only AP and premium interior with zero regrets. Paint + pano + UHFS + next gen seats is $8k (or 25% of the presumed cost of a new Model 3). And that is before tax and loan interest. No one buys an S for these options. They are certainly nice to have but the value is not there, and if you get in a financial bind down the line you'll probably wish you had the cash and not the UHFS, etc.

I got a 0.74% loan from Western FCU. The catch is you need great credit and the term is 3 years. But I didn't need to put anything down. Something to consider?

Don't forget the cost of home electric prep. Installation alone was over $1000 for my HPWC. Also, registration in CA is over $600 per year.

I would keep the Si or lease a Volt until the Model 3 arrives, personally. Hopefully a few more years of waiting and saving should not be too onerous. If I hadn't started my new job and its 100 mile daily drive, I would have kept my GTI and waited for the Model 3. One question to ask yourself is, how will I feel in 3 years or so when the Model 3 is out for $30-$60k and I am still making big payments on my S?

Just my thoughts. Good luck with your decision either way!

I'm in your boat. My decision was emphatically no (and don't think I'm not tempted). There are other electric vehicles in the sea. Ones that won't cost half your yearly income. I get what Tesla is doing, but I'm simply not wealthy enough to help them do it. Those of us who buy other EVs are helping the cause just as much.

P.S. There are going to be a number of 200mi range EVs out in the next couple of years and they will be more reasonably priced.

P.P.S. If nothing but a Tesla will do and you won't be happy otherwise, then go ahead.

• Love
Reactions: GSP and icdevin
P.S. There are going to be a number of 200mi range EVs out in the next couple of years and they will be more reasonably priced.
Sure, but it isn't particularly meaningful to compare Tesla's today with other vendors' tomorrows. The more relevant questions for comparison are either "what do they have today?" or "what will Tesla have in the next couple of years?.

Seems like "income" is a dominant theme - but "Assets" don't matter. What if I have 10 million in a stock brokerage account, and have margin capabilities....but no "income" These thumb-rules don't fit any more?

It's a general rule, not a universal perfect rule. It's only meant to apply to the average person, and at least in the US, the average person has approximately zero assets, with the possible exception of a house.

If you have $10 million in assets and no income then you're in a rather special case and need to get more specialized advice.

Reactions: davewill and GSP