Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me out: 55% or 70% windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
I currently have XR plus all around on my model 3; however I have decided to return and get the windshield tinted. I was set on going with 55%, but some have informed me that this shade could be too dark and unsafe. I have constantly been blinded by the sun and originally thought that 55 would be the perfect blend of slight tint plus decent visibility. If 55 is going to be a cop magnet and hinder vision for others driving the car, then I will probably stay safe and select 70. For those of you who have the windshield tinted, what shade did you select and any regrets? Additionally, is the moonroof worth it or just a useless addition? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all,
I currently have XR plus all around on my model 3; however I have decided to return and get the windshield tinted. I was set on going with 55%, but some have informed me that this shade could be too dark and unsafe. I have constantly been blinded by the sun and originally thought that 55 would be the perfect blend of slight tint plus decent visibility. If 55 is going to be a cop magnet and hinder vision for others driving the car, then I will probably stay safe and select 70. For those of you who have the windshield tinted, what shade did you select and any regrets? Additionally, is the moonroof worth it or just a useless addition? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
From MN here, where it’s illegal to tint the windshield to any degree. Looks like California has the same laws, with the exception of the top 4 inches of the windshield.

Regarding tinting above the driver, I personally think the glass is tinted too much, as it doesn’t allow you to see enough of what’s outside, but that’s my personal opinion. Saying this, though we don’t consistently have warm, sunny conditions here, except in summer.

Do you fee it’s worth the extra money for some extra tint? You could probably save money by just buying the Tesla Sunshade for Model 3 in the store.

Reactions: rpiotro
I did 70 on the windshield, Las Vegas. Haven’t had the car in Vegas for Summer yet so I can’t speak to the overhead glass but Colorado Springs where I was with the car last Summer hit 90’s and it was fine.

I did 20% all around the rest though. I really like this XPEL Prime XR PLUS. Most expensive tint I’ve ever done but the nicest car I’ve ever had too.

Attachments

• D1DB7A70-D303-4797-87BA-016C3161A2EF.jpeg
    D1DB7A70-D303-4797-87BA-016C3161A2EF.jpeg
    280 KB · Views: 1,279
View attachment 521059

Car on right has 30% ceramic tint on all side windows and rear. Front window is 70%.
Left car has no tint.

Front window tint makes such a difference with heat reflection. After driving the one on the right for a few months I couldn’t imagine not doing it right away on the new one.
I can see tinting being a huge improvement on a sunny day, but how does it affect night driving?

I was worried but even with the self dimming mirrors I can see clearly at night. It’s not as clear as no tint but it’s no where near what I used to have on previous cars. Ceramic tint doesn’t need to be as dark because it works so well.
That's interesting. Ceramic tint is new to me, but I found this: "Ceramic window-tinting film cuts from 45% to 50% of the solar heat that enters through the windows in the form of infrared light, while allowing maximum visibility both by day and night."

So if I got a 35% ceramic tint on the sides and back, I'd still have decent visibility, but less glare and heat.

That's interesting. Ceramic tint is new to me, but I found this: "Ceramic window-tinting film cuts from 45% to 50% of the solar heat that enters through the windows in the form of infrared light, while allowing maximum visibility both by day and night."

So if I got a 35% ceramic tint on the sides and back, I'd still have decent visibility, but less glare and heat.

Correct. Stuff is expensive but so much better.

Reactions: Matsayz and XLR82XS
My car is in the shop now, my guy said he thinks anything below 70% is not safe at night and he won't do it. I can't remember but he is putting on 70% or 75%. I'll know more in a couple days. That is a great example from AZCT above, makes me feel better about not being a cop magnet after seeing that.