Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help me Spec a 60 or 85 . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new here, but not to EVs. What is the thought that they might discontinue the 60 kwhr battery? Should I opt for the 85? I'm trying to keep the cost around $90, but there are some features I have got to have:
  • Supercharger enabled (if 60)
  • Tech package
  • Sunroof
  • Interior upgrades

I've got to get a COLOR - either red or blue.

But, what about the high fidelity sound and the air suspension? Is that $5k of upgrades I don't need? Thanks for your input.

I find it unlikely Tesla will discontinue the 60 any time soon. They need a value car and the 60 is the closest thing they have to that right now. I expect it will only disappear when it is replaced by the upgraded equivalent, say like a 70. Perhaps never, as they may just make the 60 lighter instead of larger when the higher energy density cells come out. The 60 is plenty of car for a lot of people (me included). It was -10 below zero this morning and it will still take me every where I need to go. In Florida, you will have lots of warm weather and charging points, so I think you will be OK. But only you can really make that decision. Study your driving habits. The 85 is a great value and would recommend it if money isn't the issue. The only other necessary item would be the Tech package. If you still have money in your budget after your battery decision, then get your color. Beyond that the options get less important. I would choose the Pano roof next...

Edit:

Additional info: I drive about 28K to 30K per year. I have about 40K miles on my 60 and I am currently still getting over 205 rated miles on a range charge (perhaps still 208 when it warms back up).

Last edited:
if you are on a budget and don't need the range on a somewhat regular basis...then get a 60 kWh and save a few bucks. the 60 is an identical car to the 85 except ~60 miles less range, slightly slower 0-60 and the unlimited mileage warranty. I have a 60 in San Diego, CA (also warm climate) and personally haven't needed the extra range...that said, this can be debated all day...if in doubt or if you drive over 12k miles a year, get the 85 and skip a few options to keep it in budget...

Last edited:
A 60 or even 40 (even at 80% rated range after a few years) would be enough range for me all but maybe 5 days per year and even those would be OK if I can charge over lunch or during a meeting. I think (based on census community survey's) that's also the case for most of the U.S. population. We do have my wife's ICE for longer trips that would be difficult from a charging standpoint. Your daily/annual routine may be different.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. Most appreciated. They confirmed my decision to get the options that I want in a 60. I will hardly ever need the extra battery/range.

I've been driving a Volt for almost 4 years now. Love it, but time to hand it to my 16 year old for his birthday this December . .. and for his birthday, I'll get my S! Thanks again! cs

@ChriSharek

I have an 85 confirmed and about 3 weeks away from delivery. I feel like I was in your shoes about 6 weeks ago playing with the design studio. Toggling between 60 or 85 and I was watching the price jump back and forth. I only have a 17mile commute each way to work (albeit mostly all surface streets) but from time to time I do have a meeting at a remote office and can creep up to 50-60 miles a day. Sure, the 60 would be plenty, but I definitely knew I wanted to take roadtrips with the Model S and even to Las Vegas from time to time and it wasn't THAT much more considering the 85 price has the supercharger "enabled." I am price conscious, but that's with anything. I'd haggle for a gallon of milk if it was socially acceptable ha!

However, having now ordered an 85 and sacrificing a color exterior (wanted blue, but settled on white because I've never owned a white car and it saved me a few bucks), I have NO regrets. Sure, if I could shell out 120k cash, I would have decked out a P85D, but at 29 y.o. I feel pretty blessed to have even gotten an 85 (Tech Package and Headliner).

If you can swing it and possibly forego the sunroof and minimize the interior upgrades, I recommend the 85. Just my .02 Goodluck!

I'm new here, but not to EVs. What is the thought that they might discontinue the 60 kwhr battery? Should I opt for the 85? I'm trying to keep the cost around $90, but there are some features I have got to have:
  • Supercharger enabled (if 60)
  • Tech package
  • Sunroof
  • Interior upgrades

I've got to get a COLOR - either red or blue.

But, what about the high fidelity sound and the air suspension? Is that $5k of upgrades I don't need? Thanks for your input.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

Regarding the Panoramic Roof there of course are pros and cons. I don't regret getting it, but to be honest I rarely open it. The car is so quiet that its almost a shame to introduce the extra wind noise. I do like the openness. The roof results in a 19% increase in heat load over a solid roof. It weighs a bit more too. On the other hand in the rear it provides about 1-3/4 inches of extra headroom. Some folks have complained about roof creak, but knock wood I haven't had that problem.

I have the upgraded sound system it sounds very good to me, but I am disappointed by the surround processing implementation.

The automatic air suspension gives you the "cool" factor. It is cool to see the car lower itself automatically to cut aerodynamic drag at higher speeds, but I doubt it results in more that a few percent of added range. I have the low profile, performance tires and I was expecting the ride to be somewhat harsh. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was quite good. I attribute that to the air suspension. If you plan on going with the standard tires there may be less reason to go with air suspension.

I am definitely glad that I got the 85 kWh battery. However, with the Supercharger Network being expanded it may be less of an issue in the future. Nevertheless, there are current stretches of interstate in Florida where a 60 kWh battery can't comfortably make it between two Supercharger Stations without slowing down to unsafe highway speeds.

Larry

Last edited:
Get the 60 decked out how you really want it, including color. I drive 50 miles a day round trip, go where I want, have driven to Charlotte, NC using superchargers just because it was an adventure! I did get tech, air and upgraded sound, would not take a Tesla without the pano. On a nice day, opening that roof let's the stress fly out!

FLDarren made a road trip in his red 60 all the way to KY the same day I drove mine to Charlotte. We tracked each other along the way on Glympse, which was fun... And made me feel a little safer as a woman traveling alone. We both loved the experience of driving electric on a road trip! Sure, an 85 would have been nice then, just because I could have driven some legs faster, but not $10,000 nicer to me.

You sound like me, so a 60 is probably just fine and you can keep that $10,000 in the bank where it belongs!

I purchased the 60 and later on added on the "Supercharger Enable" for $2500. Although the 60 is just fine for my day-to-day use, I have found that the 85 would have made my driving experience on trips nicer. Driving in freezing cold weather, the loss of driving distance measures about 20 % (found this on my last drive to Maryland from NY at 27 degrees F). I have not made a trip in extreme heat, but I would venture to guess that the same would hold true due to A/C use. So, added distance per charge is something I am finding is something I would lean towards if I knew then what I know now. Another thought to add to your decision is financial. Considering that the Supercharger Enable option for a 60 costs $2500 and is standard on a 85, the actual price difference is $7500. Considering the above, I would have opted for the 85, although am happy with my 60. Hope this helps.

@glhs272 - your battery is holding up well then...my 1yr old S60 (33143) with only 12k miles only range charges to 195 now...

Yes it is. I am very satisfied with it at this time. I plan on starting a new thread on it in the next month or so. I am going to do some range testing and see if my actual range has decreased or if available kWh has decreased and by how much. Last year I had got some good data on this that I am going to use as a benchmark for this year. Not scientific but useful anyway. BTW, my secret to keeping the range up on my car is: 1) always charge 90% (I don't care what everyone else says about this, they are wrong) 2) charge as often as possible (smallest depth of charge).

I can't thank everyone enough for the input. The bottom line was that I had to convince the CFO (aka the wife) that we needed the 85. All i had to do was mention the couple of times I've turned the A/C off here in Florida so I could get our Volt home without using any gas. SHE's IN! We're going with the 85 and she's OK with it! I may have to do without the Interior lighting/leather upgrades, but I think I can manage that! Thanks to everyone for the input. Most valuable!

I opted for a 60 with the bits on the car really should have as standard (i.e. Leather, Tech, Parking Sensors, (and a Parcel Shelf, what were they thinking! :D)).

I really should have gone for sound, as the standard system is so much poorer than any other modern manufacturer, to the point I'd say it was cynically designed so to get you to begrudgingly pay £2k to get something similar as the standard equipment in an Audi :(

I was torn between the S60 saving some cash and keeping my beloved Lotus for fun road trips and track days, or going all in with the P85.

With a backup ICE (Wife's Audi Q7), I really don't miss the lack of Supercharging we just swap cars on the odd occasion, and 160 miles real world easily covers occasional trips to parents etc.

If you don't have a nice second car for long trips, the 85 is a no brainer. If you use it as a lovely way to commute and rarely do 200 miles in a day, the 60 still ticks all the boxes, and if budget constrained, a specced up 60 is a nicer place to be than a stripped to basics 85.

I just came across this old thread. It is interesting that months ago I was asking the same question here 2 days before ordering - do I need the SAS and premium audio. I still don't know!

Somehow though it appears that I've talked the wife into the 85D. Not sure how I did that, but glad I did!