Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Me Tesla Peers! Contemplating Trading/Selling 10 Day Old Model 3 AWD for Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is not good as an everyday driver, harsher susp/bad tire weare/tires that wear out in 10k miles/cannot swap for smaller wheels.
If you want the performance speed get a stealth p3d then modify it yourself.
This is my friends car with 8k miles on odo. Both rear tires like this. Tesla tells him there is no camber adjustment.
He drives a ton and regrets his decision every day.
View attachment 449763

That's not camber wear. He needs to have his toe checked. And you can certainly swap for smaller wheels, just not the OEM tesla wheels

Reactions: KenC and Phlier
Please talk me out of this crazy idea...
I've been losing sleep over this dumb issue.
Bought the White Pearl LR AWD with 19 inch sports10 days ago, has about 600 miles on it. Love the car but a part of me is calling for the performance.
Haven't driven the Performance b/c I'm afraid I'll be too hooked.
Tesla offered a 45K for trade in, I paid 55K :(
Waiting for a quote from Carvana but thinking i'm going to be hosed either way.
I know i know i should've just bought it from the start. Please talk me out of this...
I dont want to live with regret but the financial difference...
ARGH

Can't you just ask Tesla nicely to unlock the P- with some cold hard $?

Very much doubt it is because it is a Performance since it is hard for even us who know the difference to spot the difference on the road. Very unlikely that many drivers of other cars know or could identify a Performance from a SR+ (with 19"). Unless they were parked next to each other and allowed to walk around and look for differences.

The PD3- muddies the differences even more.
Well that might explain some of the upset AMG owners who wanted to stoplight race lol. I think your right in general, but other times I people do seem to know.

Look at it this way, even if you fork out for the P3+ in another year or two there will be one that is even faster. How much are you willing to spend to ride the top of the curve? That's like always trying to have the fastest computer or newest phone. If you're rich maybe it's OK, but for the rest of us it's not real sensible.

Bought the White Pearl LR AWD with 19 inch sports10 days ago, has about 600 miles on it. Love the car but a part of me is calling for the performance.
I know i know i should've just bought it from the start. Please talk me out of this...
ARGH
So you want to trade the car for the next model up? You gain 1 sec 0-60 time. 20 inch tires are more expensive, ride harder. Bigger brakes, really only improve stopping on the track not on the street. Track mode, how much you going to use it?

Your 10K hit turns into a 20K hit just on the car. You only get the tax rebate on 1 car.

I think it’s pretty clear that this is 100% dependent on the OP’s finances. There are some people with enough money that it wouldn’t even make sense to spend this much time thinking about it.

Something I find keeps getting muddied up on TMC is that the M3P is just faster with red brakes and skinny tires. Those “cosmetic” changes - sport suspension, much stickier tires and less sidewalk flex actually change how the car drives. People talk about downsides being range loss, more road feel and less resistance to plunging into potholes. I mean yeah, hello - it’s a sports car.

Reactions: Nocturnal
ARGH
I was on the same boat as you before I bought a Tesla. What I ended up doing was waiting a year and then bought the P3D. Since you already bought the AWD model, sit down and to a thorough financial analysis to see what the true cost of trading up will be - this should include tax credits, state tax on the new car, insurance, etc. Then compare that against how bad you may want the P3D. The difficult part is that you have to come up with a monetary value to your desire to upgrade to the P3D to compare. And as you know, that value will fluctuate over time. The last thing to remember, which is what tipped me over the fence to get the P3D is... can you live with the AWD knowing you had an opportunity to possibly own a P3D. The P3D is overkill for ALL daily driving. But if you plan on tracking the car, it is the way to go. I bought it to track once or twice a year.

Oh, one more thing, if you are seriously considering owning a P3D, you must test drive it. Even it the test drive will favor your less expensive option of possibly owning one. Now if the car is totally out of your range, then you know the answer to your question.

I was on the same boat as you before I bought a Tesla. What I ended up doing was waiting a year and then bought the P3D. Since you already bought the AWD model, sit down and to a thorough financial analysis to see what the true cost of trading up will be - this should include tax credits, state tax on the new car, insurance, etc. Then compare that against how bad you may want the P3D. The difficult part is that you have to come up with a monetary value to your desire to upgrade to the P3D to compare. And as you know, that value will fluctuate over time. The last thing to remember, which is what tipped me over the fence to get the P3D is... can you live with the AWD knowing you had an opportunity to possibly own a P3D. The P3D is overkill for ALL daily driving. But if you plan on tracking the car, it is the way to go. I bought it to track once or twice a year.

Oh, one more thing, if you are seriously considering owning a P3D, you must test drive it. Even it the test drive will favor your less expensive option of possibly owning one. Now if the car is totally out of your range, then you know the answer to your question.

I have zero plans to track mine. I just want to take off really, really, fast from stop lights. :D

[QUOTE="dmurphy, post: 3980631, member: 92108"

"Me see hot car. Me want hot car. Me find hot car on eBay. Me buy hot car."
Is captain caveman looking for a Model 3?[/QUOTE]

I think he's more of a Model X kinda guy.... the Teen Angels operate out of a shaggin' wagon, after all ...

Attachments

• cavemanteenangels.jpg
    cavemanteenangels.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: Phlier
ARGH
Brother, you’re right! You’re going to get “hosed”, trade-in OR private sale. Then you’re going to start over, losing even more in the new purchase, all for ~1 sec of launch speed??? Keep your 3 for at least a year THEN revisit your need for a “P”. Note: I ran against a friend with a P and we basically were side by side with him a half car length ahead in the 1/4. You’re not missing out.

It is not good as an everyday driver, harsher susp/bad tire weare/tires that wear out in 10k miles/cannot swap for smaller wheels.
If you want the performance speed get a stealth p3d then modify it yourself.
This is my friends car with 8k miles on odo. Both rear tires like this. Tesla tells him there is no camber adjustment.
He drives a ton and regrets his decision every day.
View attachment 449763
Why hasn't he taken it in for a wheel alignment? At 8k his tread's completely worn away, and the inner tread block is down to the cords. Looks possibly under inflated as the shadow on the center tread block is the deepest, and the problem is likely toe as opposed to camber, since there's no camber adjustment.

Reactions: tvad
If you haven't noticed, there's a millithread titled For AWD owners wanting a P3D-. It's a little sad but totally cute seeing AWD owners on their hands and knees begging for more juice through the power of petitions and Twitter DDoS attacks. Because of this I'm under the impression that one can't be TOTALLY happy with the AWD.

Just do it!
What you’re leaving out is the “financial loss” the OP will realize for what? You know the answer.