Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Model 3 interior making me sick (literally)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suggestion -

Take a seat out. I think the back seat pulls up reasonably easily. Put it in a small closet for a day or two. Then see if you can spend some time in there and get a reaction.

I believe the wood strip pulls off too. Not sure if there is a risk of damage.

Right, been thinking about doing this too. Would be a good way to start narrowing things down a bit. Removing the back looks doable but the front ones are a bit intimidating without a guide. Getting closer to just going for it though.

Right, been thinking about doing this too. Would be a good way to start narrowing things down a bit. Removing the back looks doable but the front ones are a bit intimidating without a guide. Getting closer to just going for it though.
Fronts a major undertaking, they are heavy and awkward to deal with. Chance of scratching things, etc.

I think the back lower seat pulls up without tools.

Other thought, but might be adding wood to the fire, all weather floor mats would seal in the carpet (except under the seats of course).

Thanks so much. I appreciate any and all ideas. This is a good one if I can get the seats out and it turns out that the carpet is at fault. Might also be worth trying, just to test but prob not worth it unless I can cover more than 90% of it.

Ok this is totally out of the box but If you are not sensitive to the fragrance of a dryer sheet, I wonder if one in your car would mix with the off gassing chemicals of whatever is bothering you and alter the effect on you.

So you're thinking about something that might alter the smell or alter the chemistry itself? On the latter, I've actually been trying to do ozone shock treatments, which do seem to help in the short term (until the car sits for a bit and smell re-accumulates).

Did you ever solve this?

Not really. Still have what acts like a delayed allergy response. Actually removed seats for a week to see if it was the PU/vegan covers but that didn't make a significant difference. My reaction is definitely more mild than when it was new, but still not easily tolerable.

I rode in a friends new (loaner) S (cloth seats) which smelled pretty strong so I was wary but I had no problems. Have also spent time in new rental cars etc without any issues. I think there's something specific/non-standard that is being used in the 3 but there's no real way to pin it down.

What's confounding is that before I bought, I test drove one on Turo for a day and had no issues. Who knows what changed and Tesla isn't saying. They have been zero help in resolving this, saying that there's nothing technically wrong with the vehicle and weren't willing/able to help track down components. I have heard from a few other drivers with various levels of issues.

I think it comes down to Tesla being run like a software startup, with much focus on getting cars out the door and less focus on testing materials. Unfortunately I happen to be much more sensitive most to whatever specific component is in use. Ironically, if I could tolerate it more I'd probably use it more and this would help outgas it faster.

Why do you ask? Are you having an issue?

Last edited:
I have some chemical sensitivity issues and allergies and have been looking at getting a Model 3. I did OK in my friends 2015 Model S, but he had it for several months before I rode in it. Some new cars bother me and some don't. My current car (VW GTI with leather) bothered me for about 6 months when I first got it, but now it's fine. It was pretty brutal for the first couple months though. I got flu like symptoms from it and dizziness and headaches. It really didn't improve significantly until it sat outside in the hot sun during the summer with me leaving the windows cracked. I also cleaned the car interior periodically with just soap/water and paper towel or microfiber and vacuuming it a lot.

The only other suggestion I have is to rule out the Air Conditioner as an issue. They can grow bacteria and mold due to the moisture, but it would be less likely for a new car to have this issue. Typically its associated with a funky organic smell, but not always. You might try doing a really good job of cleaning the interior of the car and then driving with the HVAC off for a few days and see if you feel better.

Personally I wouldn't put a dryer sheet in there. If you think you are reacting to a chemical, then adding more chemicals (which is what dryer sheets are) would probably complicate things. They are notorious for triggering allergies and chemical sensitivities - so much so that people who work in health care settings are advised not to use them (or scented laundry products) to avoid triggering patients.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dana1
Oh! That's great. I'll look into it. I would describe the smell as something between wax and beachball currently. There's definitely a plastic component here but I wonder if the oil stain is the other component (and maybe the one that I'm reacting to). I wonder if I could cover it somehow to see if things improve.
Maybe you could test by covering it with blue painters tape. More permanent solution would be cover it with XPEL or vinyl (if neither of those trigger you). So sorry.

I have some chemical sensitivity issues and allergies and have been looking at getting a Model 3. I did OK in my friends 2015 Model S, but he had it for several months before I rode in it. Some new cars bother me and some don't. My current car (VW GTI with leather) bothered me for about 6 months when I first got it, but now it's fine. It was pretty brutal for the first couple months though. I got flu like symptoms from it and dizziness and headaches. It really didn't improve significantly until it sat outside in the hot sun during the summer with me leaving the windows cracked. I also cleaned the car interior periodically with just soap/water and paper towel or microfiber and vacuuming it a lot.

The only other suggestion I have is to rule out the Air Conditioner as an issue. They can grow bacteria and mold due to the moisture, but it would be less likely for a new car to have this issue. Typically its associated with a funky organic smell, but not always. You might try doing a really good job of cleaning the interior of the car and then driving with the HVAC off for a few days and see if you feel better.

Appreciate the reply. I've been in other new cars and didn't feel perfect but this is by at least a factor of 10 the worst. I'm not sure if it's something that I became sensitive to after getting it fresh from the factory (most other brands have been on boats or in lots for months even when new) but there's something different about this car that is a strong trigger. I've heard others describe the smell as "different" than other new cars. I think for some that's good. For me, whatever makes up that smell is bad.

A friend had a new VW and I used to carpool with him to work. It was really strong and kind of made my eyes water. But I didn't have a flu-like reaction to that.

I've tested with the HVAC completely off so it's not that. And something like mold or dust would be pretty easy to control with an antihistamine. This is different and after looking into it, there's decent evidence to suggest that there's a neurological pathway to these reactions – a real physical (not psychosomatic) trigger for chemical sensitivities that's being researched. But it is true that things vary greatly from individual to individual. Unfortunately, my sense is that things vary a decent amount from Model 3 to Model 3 as well. Service said they couldn't really track down where/how components are made because things change over time.

Cleaning does seem to help as done airing it out. I do need to clean it more often because I think this will accelerate the process. Of course, that's not convenient because I need to be in the vehicle for an extended time while cleaning.

In your case, it seems like a good idea would be to test drive one, see if you can ride in one with a friend, rent one for a day. I think the 3 uses different materials than the S so I'm not sure that's representative.

Maybe you could test by covering it with blue painters tape. More permanent solution would be cover it with XPEL or vinyl (if neither of those trigger you). So sorry.

Good thought and something to think about. I think that piece pops out easily. Thinking I might try removing it next. A friend with a good sense of smell said she thought it was coming from the plastic panels that sit between the doors. I do wonder if something happened, in the rush to hit build numbers, where Tesla cut corners on materials somewhere. It seems strange (but maybe I don't know new cars) that after nine months there is still a perceivably strong plastic odor present.

Regarding the physician: I have been working with a doctor who thinks it's just a sensitivity to some component. Unfortunately it's all a cocktail. Tesla didn't seem to car that I had a doctor's support on this.

So, your first post, you thought it might be dust or VOCs, did you ever test your dust theory? Wear a N95 mask while in the car?

Then try to eliminate various parts that might offgas as others have suggested, the seats, the wood stain, the carpets and mats. The wood piece can be removed. The seats you might contact one of the re-upholstering sellers, they might be near you in SoCal, and go to their shop to try out their re-upholstered seat material to see if you have a reaction to those. Remove your back seat and put it in a closet for a day, and then sit in the closet. Doing those things should let you eliminate the wood stain and/or the seats. Leaving the only thing the carpets and mats. You can probably have those removed and replaced, if you've eliminated everything else as a possible source.

So, your first post, you thought it might be dust or VOCs, did you ever test your dust theory? Wear a N95 mask while in the car?

Then try to eliminate various parts that might offgas as others have suggested, the seats, the wood stain, the carpets and mats. The wood piece can be removed. The seats you might contact one of the re-upholstering sellers, they might be near you in SoCal, and go to their shop to try out their re-upholstered seat material to see if you have a reaction to those. Remove your back seat and put it in a closet for a day, and then sit in the closet. Doing those things should let you eliminate the wood stain and/or the seats. Leaving the only thing the carpets and mats. You can probably have those removed and replaced, if you've eliminated everything else as a possible source.

I did try wearing a dust mask and it definitely helps. But it had carbon built in so it's possible that the gases were mitigated as well. This is a good reminder to try again with a standard N95 that would only filter dust (I'm really busy with work so I haven't addressed the car issue like I should).

About the seats, these are also really good thoughts. I've tested for the removal of the seats but I supposed the other materials could have absorbed the seats outgassing and remitted it so not the best test. Putting the rear seat (yes, easy to remove) in a confined space sounds like a smart idea. Will probably leave it out in the sun for a bit before that just to get it going.

Problem is that there aren't just carpets and mats after removal of the seat/wood: There's the headliner, the plastic panels, the trunk liner and more. But hope springs eternal: I'm thinking though that maybe I can eliminate most of the carpeting by buying silicon mats to cover them for a bit.

One of the Tesla 3rd party Tesla after market shops has some real nice seat covers, I forgot which one. I’d Also make sure you have good floor mats that cover the rugs completely. Either Tuxmat or MaxPider. The Tuxmat might cover more.

It’s completely random blaming seats or carpets. Could be anything. Glue they use in the ductwork or something.

Back in sun might accelerate any out gassing. Garage with windows open will take longer to outgas than putting in the sun with windows closed. Cook it out ;)

One of the Tesla 3rd party Tesla after market shops has some real nice seat covers, I forgot which one. I’d Also make sure you have good floor mats that cover the rugs completely. Either Tuxmat or MaxPider. The Tuxmat might cover more.

It’s completely random blaming seats or carpets. Could be anything. Glue they use in the ductwork or something.

Back in sun might accelerate any out gassing. Garage with windows open will take longer to outgas than putting in the sun with windows closed. Cook it out ;)

Yeah I agree - I'm just grasping for some explanation. It could very well be anything.

I've definitely been leaving it out (window up and then open at the end of the day) to cook it more. I think it's got a lot of gas to out...

Yeah I agree - I'm just grasping for some explanation. It could very well be anything.

I've definitely been leaving it out (window up and then open at the end of the day) to cook it more. I think it's got a lot of gas to out...

One other thing to consider is the AC. Lots of folks complaining about odor out of the AC. That could be stagnant water that might cause problems. Maybe a clogged drain or something.

Just grasping at straws ...
Have you changed the factory filters yet.
They could've been compromised during delivery or less likely, manufacture.
Sounds like the longer the air runs, the worse it gets. Also try a HEPA thin sheet with the new filters. I've fought serious allergies most of my life and I totally feel your situation, sux. One of those filters were comprised you'd know when you switch it out. Good luck.

I'm really of little help with resolving this, but I would absolutely agree that my (now) month old M3 did smell different than the typical new car smell. It did not cause any noticeable problems, but was definitely even less pleasant than the typical smell.