Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! My wife is stealing my 3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to sound like a mindless fanboi but ... wow ... my wife is volunteering to drive my new 3P+ to work now so I can use her car to haul stuff around. Totally unexpected. She has never been a car person; just wanted comfortable and reliable transportation, so I got her what I considered to be the best car made, the LS 460. A few days ago it was in the shop for the 60K mile service so I told her to take my car to work and I'd exchange her loaner ES350 when the LS was ready. She loved driving the 3P+. When I asked her about the drive to work I expected her to complain about the noisier ride, the stiffness, etc. compared to what she was used to ... but instead got a smiley face with heart eyes in reply. I reminded her to turn on the climate control about 10 minutes before leaving work ... and when she was on her way home she replied, wonderfully cool car. She loves the instantaneous response, how it "sticks" to the road in curves, and how easy it is to use (get in, put in drive and go, get out and walk away). This evening she suggested that she take my car to work again tomorrow so that I can use her car to haul some topsoil home to finish some landscaping work we're doing. Nothing like this has happened before.

The bottom line: Tesla has tremendous potential to flatten the car marketplace. I read where the majority of Tesla customers are men ... so there's almost 100% growth potential in adding women to the mix. However, I think they'll need to add some creature comfort features to fully capture that segment for the 3/Y, things like hands-free trunk opening, etc. And while I think women would like the order-online aspect, they wouldn't like the uncertainty of the delivery process. Having a second Gigafactory over her on the East Coast would help there (say, in Alabama, like MB and other car manufacturers).

got to slap some truck nuts on the back... should solve your problem right there..

upload_2019-9-6_7-56-13.gif

On Monday I let my wife drive while she, I and the kids were out running some errands. I had her punch it on a certain straight stretch as we were coming home. The next day she was in her Highlander with our daughter coming up to the same stretch and my daughter said "go fast mommy" so my wife stomped on the accelerator and you know the rest...car didn't even twitch for a couple seconds as it had to figure out and change gears, but sure made a lot of noise! My wife was so deflated then. She came home that evening and first thing out of her mouth was, "I miss your car".

Good/bad, we can't afford to get a Model X since we need a bigger car as the daily workhorse.

My bae has never cared or paid attn to cars until we went EV (fit EV, leaf). She now understands a little more about my addiction with cars (mainly enthusiast cars and Teslas of course) and caring for them and is more okay with my change of clothes/cars. She was always the Tesla driver LR RWD and as of last week i got my own P85DL+ too! But I’m glad we didnt get a P3 for her because curbing is her second hobby haha and its also the daily workhorse for the fam.

Not directing this at anyone but if you give yourself the room for *sugar* you will pit more *sugar* in your car. Just like living in a big home or having lots of home storage. Fortunately, we do have other bigger cars to borrow from family.

my wife is very spiteful and passive aggressive. for some reason she gets annoyed that i enjoy my car. took 2 months for her to actually drive it, she had smiles the whole time. hoping to replace her minivan with a Y in the next 2 years.

This is a very familiar story. When I bought a used RAV4 EV in 2009, my wife said I could experiment with it all I wanted, but I was to stay away from her car.

Within three weeks of it arriving, the RAV4-EV became her car. And that is how I ended up buying a Tesla Roadster. So, happy ending!

We have purchased nothing but Teslas since (I looked seriously at some other EVs a while back and she loudly voiced her disapproval), and just yesterday she was speculating about which Tesla we would buy next...

I hate to sound like a mindless fanboi but ... wow ... my wife is volunteering to drive my new 3P+ to work now so I can use her car to haul stuff around. Totally unexpected. She has never been a car person; just wanted comfortable and reliable transportation, so I got her what I considered to be the best car made, the LS 460. A few days ago it was in the shop for the 60K mile service so I told her to take my car to work and I'd exchange her loaner ES350 when the LS was ready. She loved driving the 3P+. When I asked her about the drive to work I expected her to complain about the noisier ride, the stiffness, etc. compared to what she was used to ... but instead got a smiley face with heart eyes in reply. I reminded her to turn on the climate control about 10 minutes before leaving work ... and when she was on her way home she replied, wonderfully cool car. She loves the instantaneous response, how it "sticks" to the road in curves, and how easy it is to use (get in, put in drive and go, get out and walk away). This evening she suggested that she take my car to work again tomorrow so that I can use her car to haul some topsoil home to finish some landscaping work we're doing. Nothing like this has happened before.

The bottom line: Tesla has tremendous potential to flatten the car marketplace. I read where the majority of Tesla customers are men ... so there's almost 100% growth potential in adding women to the mix. However, I think they'll need to add some creature comfort features to fully capture that segment for the 3/Y, things like hands-free trunk opening, etc. And while I think women would like the order-online aspect, they wouldn't like the uncertainty of the delivery process. Having a second Gigafactory over her on the East Coast would help there (say, in Alabama, like MB and other car manufacturers).

My wife loves my car, but loves the form factor of a pickup (she has a Colorado).

So I haven't lost my car, but when the pickup comes out, we're getting one.

Bought a ridiculously small and impractical Smart ED back in 2013. My mistake was bringing my wife to the MB dealer during the test drive and purchase (I bought the car for cash straight off the test drive). My wife bought a MB the same week. :-( But revenge is sweet, I was loving my new electric car and one day it wasn't in the driveway. Repeat for the next few days, whereupon I declared I would never drive a gas car again and if my Smart wasn't in the driveway for my commute the next day I was trading her MB for a Tesla. We are now a Tesla + Smart family.

Sigh. There’s so much sexism in this post it’s a little bewildering.

Women wouldn’t like the uncertainty of the delivery process? Why? Because they are such delicate flowers and might get upset?

Women need creature comforts like hands-free trunk opening? Why? So they can load all their groceries more easily before coming home to cook dinner? I mean, no man would want these features. Jeez...

This part made me lol: This evening she suggested that she take my car to work again tomorrow so that I can use her car to haul some topsoil home to finish some landscaping work we're doing.

How...manly of you. I can’t even...

Last edited:
I hate to sound like a mindless fanboi but ... wow ... my wife is volunteering to drive my new 3P+ to work now so I can use her car to haul stuff around.
[...]Tesla has tremendous potential to flatten the car marketplace. I read where the majority of Tesla customers are men ... so there's almost 100% growth potential in adding women to the mix. However, I think they'll need to add some creature comfort features to fully capture that segment for the 3/Y, things like hands-free trunk opening, etc. And while I think women would like the order-online aspect, they wouldn't like the uncertainty of the delivery process.

1. You are not a fan-boy, but she might be a fan-girl.
2. What is a 3P+ ? That's not a car model designation in Tesla line-up.
3. I'm sorry to hear you think Tesla sucks for women. Sound like your wife would disagree?!
4. I wonder what she would say if she read your post about her inability to place and handle online orders.... have a free couch in the basement?

a

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
Me and my wife don't share cars. I've driven her Audi TT once to diagnose an issue, she's never driven my BMW 340i. So it's unlikely she'll ever drive my Model 3. However she has shown some interest in the stuff I've been telling her about EVs in general. I think if they actually made a small 2 seater convertible EV she'd want one. (the roadster is a bit out of our price range)

1. You are not a fan-boy, but she might be a fan-girl.
2. What is a 3P+ ? That's not a car model designation in Tesla line-up.
3. I'm sorry to hear you think Tesla sucks for women. Sound like your wife would disagree?!
4. I wonder what she would say if she read your post about her inability to place and handle online orders.... have a free couch in the basement?

a

FYI, 3P is what Elon actually calls it. I think it actually makes more sense than P3D. It's a Model 3 Performance or Model 3P or 3P for short. Then the + designates the Performance Upgrade Package and the - designates the stealth version. So 3P+ or 3P-.

I actually wrote the exact opposite. I think women would *like* the ability to order online. The number one complaint I hear from my wife and her friends about buying a car is the stupid sales/negotiation process at the end. I don't like it but they all *hate* it.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
I actually wrote the exact opposite. I think women would *like* the ability to order online. The number one complaint I hear from my wife and her friends about buying a car is the stupid sales/negotiation process at the end. I don't like it but they all *hate* it.

So what you're saying is, as a man - you don't like it, and as women, your wife and her friends don't like it, - or hate it. Either way, this is not really a "women issue," wouldn't you say? :)

FYI As a man, I also cannot stand the stupid sales/negotiation process at the end. So add me to the list of... "women" who *hate* it.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and Mrcarcrazy