Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help! My wife is stealing my 3P+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh. There’s so much sexism in this post it’s a little bewildering.

Women wouldn’t like the uncertainty of the delivery process? Why? Because they are such delicate flowers and might get upset?

Women need creature comforts like hands-free trunk opening? Why? So they can load all their groceries more easily before coming home to cook dinner? I mean, no man would want these features. Jeez...

This part made me lol: This evening she suggested that she take my car to work again tomorrow so that I can use her car to haul some topsoil home to finish some landscaping work we're doing.

How...manly of you. I can’t even...

shhhhh, just have fun.

• Love
Reactions: cleverscreenam
Me and my wife don't share cars. I've driven her Audi TT once to diagnose an issue, she's never driven my BMW 340i. So it's unlikely she'll ever drive my Model 3. However she has shown some interest in the stuff I've been telling her about EVs in general. I think if they actually made a small 2 seater convertible EV she'd want one. (the roadster is a bit out of our price range)

Smart ED.

They are being discontinued, but they have a convertible model, and they certainly are small. Specs are not that great: low range and no DC fast charge ability, but ok for short drives near home.

GSP

• Informative
Reactions: cleverscreenam
I was tired driving back to the Bay Area from Lake Tahoe, so we switched seats, and I took a nap. Big mistake.

Woke up an hour later to find the car seriously discharged and my wife quivering and grinning behind the wheel. Apparently my little blonde spent that time racing some dudes with their power cars into the asphalt. I hate to think what the speedometer peaked at. And now she's escaped the fear o' Tesla (that I never seriously tried to discourage), and I'm in danger of losing my Tesla manopoly.

Smart ED.

They are being discontinued, but they have a convertible model, and they certainly are small. Specs are not that great: low range and no DC fast charge ability, but ok for short drives near home.

GSP

I just saw that Mini is making an EV. Maybe they’ll make a convertible one. My wife almost bought a Mini last time, so she'd probably go for that.

Most two-car households that are one Tesla and one ICE currently will be two-Tesla households within the next 3 years. I bet it will be like a 75+% conversion rate on that demographic.
A lot of us are early adopters and we purchased previous non-Tesla brands so many of us have an electric second vehicle also. Just not as much range on our now older electric 2nd car that was purchased first.

Reactions: afadeev
One of the biggest problems I have with my Tesla is that it's given me an anger problem... I get really angry at any ICE I've driven since. It's bad enough that I'd rather do a road trip than be subjected to a rental car.

I have had 1 EV + 2 ICE cars for the past 5+ years.
There is a chance that may flip towards 2 EVs + 1 ICE cars in the near future, but it's highly unlikely I will have two Tesla's in my garage. For many reasons, form-factor, customer service (or lack thereof), and variety being the spice of life being a few of them.

As to anger towards ICE - I don't get it, and see no reason why there should be any.
Different cars and different drive-trains are better suited for different purposes.
Some are better at some tasks than others (e.g.: daily commuter vs. long-distance winter ski-transportation and a track car, etc).

Peace!

a

My wife isn't really a car person. She hates my BMW i3 when she has to drive it (she has a Clarity PHEV). Usually if I ask to switch cars for the day I get complaints. My commute might grow much longer and I suggested that we switch cars, and that I drive the Clarity PHEV and she could drive the i3 (the Clarity being better for a long commute). She told me no. I order the Model 3, what does she do? She suggested we change cars and she drive the Model 3 for her short commute and me drive the Clarity for the long commute ;) I suspect it will be 2 Tesla's once we are done with the Clarity...

I have had 1 EV + 2 ICE cars for the past 5+ years.
There is a chance that may flip towards 2 EVs + 1 ICE cars in the near future, but it's highly unlikely I will have two Tesla's in my garage. For many reasons, form-factor, customer service (or lack thereof), and variety being the spice of life being a few of them.

As to anger towards ICE - I don't get it, and see no reason why there should be any.
Different cars and different drive-trains are better suited for different purposes.
Some are better at some tasks than others (e.g.: daily commuter vs. long-distance winter ski-transportation and a track car, etc).

Peace!

a
I was somewhat joking. Guess it didn't come across that way. I get that it's not right for everyone. I don't really care what anyone else drives. I just love the electric powertrain & how the car drives so much that I do get somewhat frustrated that every car I get into doesn't perform as well... not even close.

Worked out well for me - got the wife a Model S while I waited for my invite to configure Model 3. I remember the 1st day well. She gunned it from a stop and said 'why get a Tesla if you're not going to take advantage of it.'

It's almost like she felt guilty having all that power at her disposal.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I hate to sound like a mindless fanboi but ... wow ... my wife is volunteering to drive my new 3P+ to work now so I can use her car to haul stuff around. Totally unexpected. She has never been a car person; just wanted comfortable and reliable transportation, so I got her what I considered to be the best car made, the LS 460. A few days ago it was in the shop for the 60K mile service so I told her to take my car to work and I'd exchange her loaner ES350 when the LS was ready. She loved driving the 3P+. When I asked her about the drive to work I expected her to complain about the noisier ride, the stiffness, etc. compared to what she was used to ... but instead got a smiley face with heart eyes in reply. I reminded her to turn on the climate control about 10 minutes before leaving work ... and when she was on her way home she replied, wonderfully cool car. She loves the instantaneous response, how it "sticks" to the road in curves, and how easy it is to use (get in, put in drive and go, get out and walk away). This evening she suggested that she take my car to work again tomorrow so that I can use her car to haul some topsoil home to finish some landscaping work we're doing. Nothing like this has happened before.

The bottom line: Tesla has tremendous potential to flatten the car marketplace. I read where the majority of Tesla customers are men ... so there's almost 100% growth potential in adding women to the mix. However, I think they'll need to add some creature comfort features to fully capture that segment for the 3/Y, things like hands-free trunk opening, etc. And while I think women would like the order-online aspect, they wouldn't like the uncertainty of the delivery process. Having a second Gigafactory over her on the East Coast would help there (say, in Alabama, like MB and other car manufacturers).
I had do buy her her own. :p