Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help on choosing the right window tint.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in south florida, so car tint is a must.

When I got my car at Dania beach store they told me to check on 3M.
But after reading a lot I have more questions than really answers. And since this forum have a lot of experience tesla owners I'd like to ask a few questions:

But before moving forward, I think that my priorities in terms of the auto film would be stay cool, add more style and block UV rays.

So, should choose 3M or Prestige?
On my previous cars I've used to choose a low factor tint. Do you suggest me to continue on this path or should I go with a clear one?
I know that there are similar thread, but I haven't found the answer that I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Ariel.

• Informative
Reactions: Alset4S
I'm still waiting on my X to be build but, since I too live in Miami, I looked up tint and read reviews.

It appears that Prestige offers better performance than 3M. Prestige and 3M dont have the exact same tints: 3M has 70, 60, 50, etc - while Prestige has 75, 65, 55, etc. I've read that Prestige Photosync SPH75 for the windshield is perfect - not too dark but offer very good total solar energy rection (58%). SPH65 or 55 for the rest of the car with 65% and 67% total solar energy rejected.

Both films are non-metallized allowing wireless signals through.

I think finding a good reputable installer would be the decisive factor

Here is some performance charts for each.
Prestige:
upload_2017-1-31_10-8-11.png

3M:
upload_2017-1-31_10-8-38.png

I went Photosync 75 on windshield and glass roof and 35 sides and rear. It hasn't been hot enough to test heat rejection but I experience much less eye strain with the 75 on the windshield.
Has the night visibility been affected noticeably with 75?

I'm very happy with 3m Crystalline I went 40% on the sides and back and 70% on the sunroof
No tint on the windshield?

This is the tint that I used on the front windshield of my model X
(i matched the front windows to the back)

LLumar Air Blue 80

a non-metalized, non-conductive ceramic technology film with 43% heat rejection, maximum ultra-violet rejection, excellent optical clarity, and scratch- and corrosion-resistant properties.

This film has a 78% Visible Light Transmittance, and its optical clarity and low reflectivity will not interfere with night driving. Air Blue 80 will also block 99% of the sun’s UVA and UVB rays and is recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation. This film also has signal-enabling properties to ensure no signal interference with wireless devices.

I think it helps significantly with the glare/ghosting.

I would like to add, tinting the front windshield is difficult so preferably you want to use someone with experience or someone with the patience to realize they may need a lot of time and several attempts to get it right. It definitely is a two man job.

I have 3M Crystalline 70 on the side and rear windows. I don't think anything is necessary on the windshield or pano roof. I live in Austin where the sun is at least as strong as south Florida and have driven the car for 4 summers. I think an advantage to 3M Crystalline is that it rejects heat and UV but does not decrease light transmission much and doesn't have the "tinted" look. That's why I chose it, but your preference may be different as you mentioned adding more style. Maybe that s a south Florida thing. I like the Model S just the way it is.

Reactions: ABC2D
Do you guys have any place in south florida to recommend?
I had a really bad experience the last time with a store in calle 8

This topic was discussed in this thread: Miami, FL - Window Tinting Recommendations and some guys had the tinting done right at Dania center and @auger with many others recommended:
If you want PhotoSync, AutoSuperShield in Boca is the only place in SoFL that does it as far as I know. They have a rental car place nearby.

I don't think anything is necessary on the windshield or pano roof. I live in Austin where the sun is at least as strong as south Florida and have driven the car for 4 summers.
When I first got my car tinted it was just the sides... I went for one trip up the coast to wine country and changed my mind! The top of my head was literally hot from the sun. Since I've tinted my pano 70% I've never had that problem again!

Reactions: ABC2D
how does it look? i never thought about the sunroof...still waiting on delivery. sad that tesla doesn't have a nice cover -built in for it yet :/
The 70% is barely noticeable visually but makes a large difference temperature wise. I believe the big difference is the infrared blocking that the 3M provides...The factory sunroof tint has uv blocking already but of an unknown amount...

So everybody here is recommending me crystalline, however when I've called Brian's Window Tinting, they suggest me to go with ceramic.
It's supposed to be cheaper and more efficient.
Is this correct??
Crystalline Is a ceramic tint...if they suggested hat it wasn't you talked to someone that wasn't knowledgeable... here is a link to the crystalline flyer http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...e-window-film-crystalline-series-brochure.pdf

3m doesn't work with everyone so you might try checking 3m website for 3m authorized installers in your area! This link has a find a dealer in your area button... 3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series | 3M United States