Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, One Electrician Wanted To Charge $1500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my house, the breaker box is far from the garage, like opposite ends of the house. I’m in a suburb of Atlanta and electrician from Tesla website said
1. The permit is 378$
2. If I don’t use Tesla electrician, warranty on my new model 3 that I’m picking up Monday is void
3. If I don’t get permit, Tesla warranty void
4. It costs so much because the distance of the wires from breaker box to garage wall is 50-75 ft depending where I’m putting the plug.

I can’t believe a 11$ plug on Amazon is going to cost 1500 to install. Dude at Tesla Buckhead said 250-400 for install.

I can’t install myself I have no skills or knowledge.

What should I do? Find non Tesla electrician? Skip the $378 permit? Is warranty really voided. I can’t get Tesla in the phone but via email one employee said it won’t void warranty unless the electrician does something wrong that hurts the car.

Thanks for any advice I am in panic mode.
You can do it yourself. I had the same problem. I install my charger on the opposite side of the house. Please check this link. I uploaded a series on how to do it. Installing Tesla Wall Charger for dummies - YouTube

To @Powder florida and @Kleenerth3 — NO NO NO
You must NOT use a 60A breaker with a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
And the statement that it will provide 20/30 A max is more evidence you have no idea what you’re talking about. The Gen 1 UMC will draw 40A and the Gen 2 UMC will draw 32A when plugged into a 14-50 outlet.

Doesn’t anyone RTFM? Tesla’s home charging website
Home Charging Installation
has everything you need to know, including links to spec sheeets for installation every type of outlet.
Page 121 of the owners manual, first paragraph...

IMG_20190624_184020440.jpg
In progress...

Reactions: Plu1357
This video is so WRONG on so many areas. Plu1357, Friday at 9:53 PM
Please DO NOT follow this video.
Wrong wire used, and NEVER run electricity using the white wire as a HOT. That is illegal in every code.

If I install NEMA 14-50, I must follow the color code due to that is for generic use. A dedicated device, like HPWC, does not matter, both wires are hot, no neutral.

I declared at the beginning and at the end of the video, that is not a tutorial, but a reference only. Some viewers pointed out 6AWG NM-B maybe a bit shy for 60A rating. I have tuned down the charging current to 40A instead of 48A. I will change the 60A breaker to 50A. Further, I will survey my panel line current and reduce the tandem breaker usage.

To @Powder florida and @Kleenerth3 — NO NO NO
You must NOT use a 60A breaker with a NEMA 14-50 outlet.
And the statement that it will provide 20/30 A max is more evidence you have no idea what you’re talking about. The Gen 1 UMC will draw 40A and the Gen 2 UMC will draw 32A when plugged into a 14-50 outlet.

Doesn’t anyone RTFM? Tesla’s home charging website
Home Charging Installation
has everything you need to know, including links to spec sheeets for installation every type of outlet.
did not think rudeness was required on this site!! The 60 amp was recommended by Tesla, and will not draw 60 with a 14-50, just as plugging in a cell phone to a 2 amp charger will draw 1 amp unless it is c type. My work was done by a LICENSED electrician.

I'm a general contractor. I would charge about the same to my customers. Electricians have lots of worries and training. Done wrong can burn your house down, or hurt someone or something. BTW, a good part of any job cost is risk management. Every contractor needs to up the price to deal with the risks. It's just part of the cost of business.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
did not think rudeness was required on this site!! The 60 amp was recommended by Tesla, and will not draw 60 with a 14-50, just as plugging in a cell phone to a 2 amp charger will draw 1 amp unless it is c type. My work was done by a LICENSED electrician.

Your electrician's license should be reviewed, then. It is illegal to put a 14-50 outlet on anything more than a 50A breaker, full stop. Just because the car you're plugging in generally won't take more than 32A doesn't mean that everything someone might plug in won't take more than 50A. Further, the car could malfunction or short and pull more than 50A but less than 60A - this is how fires start.

Tesla recommends a 60A charging circuit with appropriate equipment on the circuit, namely a Tesla Wall Connector and appropriate wiring. There is nothing wrong with 50A - plenty of people use that - but please get another opinion from another electrician who knows what he is doing.Putting a 60A breaker on a 50A circuit is asking for trouble.

Always get multiple quotes. You may need to trickle charger on a normal 120 volt outlet until you find someone to do the install, but get at least two more quotes.

We were in a similar situation except we wanted an HPWC install instead of an outlet. It was about 70 feet of cable that needed to be run from one end of the house to the other. One company quoted $3,000, another quoted $2,000, and the Tesla electrician actually came in with the lowest bid at $1,500.

I've had my Model 3 LR AWD since September 2018 and ran into similar predatory electricians referenced on the Tesla web site that wanted to charge me between $1500-3,200 to fully upgrade my service and increase my amperage to my garage.

Our local trusted electrician was outraged and provided a quote for half that amount. That said, I've been trickle charging for almost 9 months with my 120V outlet without any issues. I get my commute back each night and can always use a SuperCharger if I need a fast charge.

Reactions: willow_hiller
The 60 amp was recommended by Tesla, and will not draw 60 with a 14-50, just as plugging in a cell phone to a 2 amp charger will draw 1 amp unless it is c type. My work was done by a LICENSED electrician.
This was already addressed by @gfunkdave , but it bears repeating. This is a straight-up violation of National Electric Code. It says that the breaker can be no more than the rating of this outlet. It doesn't matter what you're planning to plug into it or what its expected draw would be. There are provisions for going less than the rating of the outlet, like maybe a 40A breaker, but you can not go higher.

This was already addressed by @gfunkdave , but it bears repeating. This is a straight-up violation of National Electric Code. It says that the breaker can be no more than the rating of this outlet. It doesn't matter what you're planning to plug into it or what its expected draw would be. There are provisions for going less than the rating of the outlet, like maybe a 40A breaker, but you can not go higher.

I'll take this one further... its downright common to drive a 14-50 outlet for a clothes dryer with some 10 gauge and a 30 amp breaker. The way I understand it, the breaker(in this case) should be sized specifically for the equipment attached, but never more than the wire can take, of course. I assume the reason for this is that the innards of the dryer are probably not rated to deal with more than its rated breaker. If something dreadful happens inside the dryer, you still want the breaker to blow before the dryer starts to burn.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
I'll take this one further... its downright common to drive a 14-50 outlet for a clothes dryer with some 10 gauge and a 30 amp breaker. The way I understand it, the breaker(in this case) should be sized specifically for the equipment attached, but never more than the wire can take, of course. I assume the reason for this is that the innards of the dryer are probably not rated to deal with more than its rated breaker. If something dreadful happens inside the dryer, you still want the breaker to blow before the dryer starts to burn.

Uh, no, the 14-30 is the standard outlet for dryers...on a 30A breaker.

You might be thinking of running a 14-50 on a 40A breaker, which is common for electric ranges, since there is no such thing as a 14-40 outlet.

It's amazing to me how many "licensed" electricians do some really dumb things that totally go against local code and NEC...

Some of the posts here are mind boggling stupid and dangerous, especially making "informative" videos that are horribly wrong. Who or what are you informing? People who want to do it completely wrong and risk a devastating house fire as a result?

Not enough people treat electricity with the respect it deserves and unfortunately, eventually their luck runs out and it kills or severely injures them.

Jeff

Reactions: posity
In my house, the breaker box is far from the garage, like opposite ends of the house. I’m in a suburb of Atlanta and electrician from Tesla website said
1. The permit is 378$
2. If I don’t use Tesla electrician, warranty on my new model 3 that I’m picking up Monday is void
3. If I don’t get permit, Tesla warranty void
4. It costs so much because the distance of the wires from breaker box to garage wall is 50-75 ft depending where I’m putting the plug.

I can’t believe a 11$ plug on Amazon is going to cost 1500 to install. Dude at Tesla Buckhead said 250-400 for install.

I can’t install myself I have no skills or knowledge.

What should I do? Find non Tesla electrician? Skip the $378 permit? Is warranty really voided. I can’t get Tesla in the phone but via email one employee said it won’t void warranty unless the electrician does something wrong that hurts the car.

Thanks for any advice I am in panic mode.

My socket install, was about an hours work and $35 in materials, but my panel was directly on the other side of the wall from the garage. The electrical hookup is actually very simple but if you screw it up or connect it with the power on it is dangerous for life and property.

If you are uncomfortable with house wiring get the materials, install the box and run the wire yourself then get someone that knows AC wiring to hook up both ends. To run a wire through a GA house that probably has no basement you may have to make holes in the drywall and patch and paint. If an electrician does it they will also have to make holes that they will not patch and paint.

Hey all, my M3 LR RWD should be here in a couple of weeks. Just got a quote from a local electrician who has done some work on my house and has installed a few of the Nema chargers.

I am going to be getting the wall connector, I have plenty of room on my panel. He will be installed a single 60 amp breaker, running the romex cable about 45-50ft to my garage for the 240 hookups. Charging me $550, thought that was a fair price...

Question @Kleenerth3 was there a reason you have the double 60amp in yours?

Reactions: F14Scott