Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help, One Electrician Wanted To Charge $1500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question @Kleenerth3 was there a reason you have the double 60amp in yours?

Unless you have some REALLY strange electrical panel, its just a question of nomenclature. If you are in a residential setting and want 240 volts, you need to have both poles switched together. Sometimes it looks like two individual breakers with joining bar between the handles(and I think it really WAS that way some time ago), and with some brands/models its a molded double-wide breaker with a single handle that looks like its living on one half of the breaker.

Hey all, my M3 LR RWD should be here in a couple of weeks. Just got a quote from a local electrician who has done some work on my house and has installed a few of the Nema chargers.
There is no such thing as a “NEMA Charger”. First of all, the charger is in the car, not what’s installed on the wall. That’s called a Wall Connector or more generically an EVSE. Secondly, calling something a “NEMA” anything is like saying something weighs pounds without specifying how many. NEMA is the nomenclature system for every outlet in North America, from the NEMA 5-15 usual household 120V outlet to the NEMA 14-50 outlet for 50A circuits for RVs and Teslas.

There is no such thing as a “NEMA Charger”. First of all, the charger is in the car, not what’s installed on the wall. That’s called a Wall Connector or more generically an EVSE. Secondly, calling something a “NEMA” anything is like saying something weighs pounds without specifying how many. NEMA is the nomenclature system for every outlet in North America, from the NEMA 5-15 usual household 120V outlet to the NEMA 14-50 outlet for 50A circuits for RVs and Teslas.

Thanks yeah my confusion. Waiting on the wall chargers to be back in stock. Hopefully before delivery of my M3.

I get what both of you are saying but what insurance is going to be voided? The car? The house? Other states no permit or permit is $40. $400 is so typical for where I live because my county can’t spend money fast enough in its race to the bottom of the worst Atlanta metro county. Georgia wants $200 a year for registration on top of normal fee because they say I’m not paying gas tax anymore. I’m freaking paying gas tax on my other car and my Ga power bill will go up a little.
Anyway, just venting. I miss California, not the rent, just the tax credit for EVs

You are still paying gas tax. When you register your Tesla and renew the tags each year GA will charge a few hundred dollars more than a gas car of the same value to make up for the fact that they are not collecting gas tax from you at the pump. This year it is $212.28 in addition to what you would normally pay. It increases each year.

2019 Alternative Fuel Vehicles - Annual Licensing Fees Policy Bulletin | Department of Revenue

My electrician wants $3600 to pull 100’ line through the interior of a condo building.

Reasonable.

Our highrise condo's project for 8x Level 2 chargers landed at $11,000 split cost (permits, 75KVA transformer to step down 3-phase 480V to 120/208V, new panel, sub-meters, switchgear breakers in from an existing 1 of our 2 1600A 480V service), and the 8 owners in the project then paid their own electricians to permit and install conduit throughout the underground 4-level parking garage. Post-tensioned concrete is a pain to deal with. My conduit run was about 180' from the main electric room where the EV panel was located and my cost was $3,630.

You are still paying gas tax. When you register your Tesla and renew the tags each year GA will charge a few hundred dollars more than a gas car of the same value to make up for the fact that they are not collecting gas tax from you at the pump. This year it is $212.28 in addition to what you would normally pay. It increases each year.

2019 Alternative Fuel Vehicles - Annual Licensing Fees Policy Bulletin | Department of Revenue
I know, I just think it’s ridiculous to charge an extra $200 because there are other ways I would pay for roads and stuff besides not paying for gas on my Tesla. Other states don’t do
This.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
I just had a 240v line ran from the panel 50' to the garage. They installed a sub panel with a 40 amp breaker. All for $875.00

Thanks!!

FYI
The Tesla recommended electrician was very dishonest. In fact other people complained to the dealer where I picked up my car and they took him off the website. He kept telling the “you’ll lose your warranty” lie.

Outside my garage were separate breakers and one wasn’t being used so my whole install was 472.

Had I ran the outlet from internal house breaker, best estimate 1,000 with n permit because electrician said you didn’t need one, three electricians said that. But there would need to be holes cut in the wall/ceiling so I went with outside breaker.
Also, all of you were super helpful except for the one silly poster who said I shouldn’t buy the car if can’t afford to let an electrician rip me off. I can afford to be robbed, but why would I volunteer for it?

I know, I just think it’s ridiculous to charge an extra $200 because there are other ways I would pay for roads and stuff besides not paying for gas on my Tesla. Other states don’t do this.
Uh yeah...they do. I think it's getting close to half the states in the U.S. now that have extra registration fees for electric vehicles to substitute for the missing gas tax.

Uh yeah...they do. I think it's getting close to half the states in the U.S. now that have extra registration fees for electric vehicles to substitute for the missing gas tax.
In the end, EVs do need to be taxed for maintaining roads, but I think it should be mileage based, not a flat fee. Also, the fuel tax should be raised most places. It's ridiculous that most of the world penalizes fossil fuel use, but we practically subsidize it.

Reactions: Rocky_H and DR61
In the end, EVs do need to be taxed for maintaining roads, but I think it should be mileage based, not a flat fee. Also, the fuel tax should be raised most places. It's ridiculous that most of the world penalizes fossil fuel use, but we practically subsidize it.
I'd like to see any portion of any fuel tax going to road maintenace being dropped and then have all road maintenace funded via a yearly license fee based on vehicle weight as well as distance driven.

Reactions: ArcticStation
I just found this thread. I got quoted a little under $1000 for the job described below. I was hoping to pay a lot less but from reading this thread I'm thinking it's probably "reasonable".

Supply and install a dedicated
circuit up to 60 amp and up to
75' away to an owner supplied
charging station. To do this we
may have to cut some drywall in
garage for access of running
wire. We will need to install two
tandem breakers in panel for
room for new circuit.
Mount charging station.
Supply 2 15 amp Cutler Hammer
CH Tandem Breaker.

Regarding at-home installation of a dedicated Tesla charger in your garage:

My installation cost was $750, which included 240V charge point and circuit breaker, and also included city permit ( $137).
The good news is that the city (of Glendale CA) provided a $500 rebate! so my my total out of pocket was $250.

For the new owners- check if YOUR city offer similar rebate for electrical installation.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Regarding at-home installation of a dedicated Tesla charger in your garage:

My installation cost was $750, which included 240V charge point and circuit breaker, and also included city permit ( $137).
The good news is that the city (of Glendale CA) provided a $500 rebate! so my my total out of pocket was $250.

For the new owners- check if YOUR city offer similar rebate for electrical installation.

also state level ,,, Delaware offers 50% rebate of EVSE (not installation cost) up to $500 max.

I just found this thread. I got quoted a little under $1000 for the job described below. I was hoping to pay a lot less but from reading this thread I'm thinking it's probably "reasonable".

Supply and install a dedicated
circuit up to 60 amp and up to
75' away to an owner supplied
charging station. To do this we
may have to cut some drywall in
garage for access of running
wire. We will need to install two
tandem breakers in panel for
room for new circuit.
Mount charging station.
Supply 2 15 amp Cutler Hammer
CH Tandem Breaker.

Its not entirely unreasonable, especially since we don't know what your wiring path looks like, but if you were comfortable with electricity you could probably do it for $200 or less. You could (and should) probably ask for a second quote.....

Reactions: navguy12