Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help understanding the numerous trims so I can purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello my friends,

I've been curious about Tesla for a while, drove my buddy's standard Model 3 was boring, drove my other friend's 2021 Dual Motor and it's fast, I became more interested when I learned with $2000 I can unlock more performance and shave 0.5 seconds off 0-60, so here we are, I always like to buy used, the problem I came into is there are so much different trims online, standard, standard+, mid range, long range, RWD, AWD etc ....
I don't care about all that, which one has 4.3 0-60 times or less? that's what I need to know so I can exclusively look for it, was this 0-60 time even available on 2017 models? when it becomes available and on which models the $2K software upgrade is available?

dealers list tesla just like how they list other cars, no mention of battery size or how many miles per charge.

I appreciate any input from you.

Regards,

There arent that many trims...

To answer your question, you are looking for an All Wheel Drive, Long Range model 3. You are also in a long line of "people who prefer to buy used" who tend to quickly find out that, at least right now, there is not a huge difference in price between new model 3s and used.

If you’re looking for quickness, consider a Model 3 Performance that will provide you 0-60 times in the 3.2 range right out of the box (along with Track Mode v2) for a few grand more than a boosted LR AWD. I am clearly biased, however I think the Stealth option is the sweet spot of cost/value/performance (sorry, one more trim level for you to consider). They are no longer available new however you may find one on the used market. YMMV as one size doesn’t fit all. Good luck.

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
It's really the LR AWD model that you want, but your big problem is not knowing which trims Tesla offers for Model 3, it's getting the dummy used car salespeople and private sellers to list the exact trim in their ads. Sellers are very vague, and you often have to look for clues on your own, like pics of the center screen showing the trim level. Very annoying since you can't just put what you want in the search box, unless you buy used from Tesla direct or a Tesla-specific used car site.

Reactions: jjrandorin

To answer your question, you are looking for an All Wheel Drive, Long Range model 3. You are also in a long line of "people who prefer to buy used" who tend to quickly find out that, at least right now, there is not a huge difference in price between new model 3s and used.

Thank you, I've noticed the price difference isn't much but there are some deals, I found 2018 AWD LR with 15K miles, Red, for $40K, it's $7K below 2021, not much but considering how slow Tesla depreciates, it's not bad.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
If you’re looking for quickness, consider a Model 3 Performance that will provide you 0-60 times in the 3.2 range right out of the box (along with Track Mode v2) for a few grand more than a boosted LR AWD. I am clearly biased, however I think the Stealth option is the sweet spot of cost/value/performance (sorry, one more trim level for you to consider). They are no longer available new however you may find one on the used market. YMMV as one size doesn’t fit all. Good luck.

the performance trim is out of my budget, it will cost me $60K OTD, I'd have to stretch myself to get the 2021 LR hoping to make it in Gas saving since I daily drive a Grand Sport Corvette, I am hoping to stay in the $4xK range so that's why I am here asking about which car has the 4.x 0-60.

It's really the LR AWD model that you want, but your big problem is not knowing which trims Tesla offers for Model 3, it's getting the dummy used car salespeople and private sellers to list the exact trim in their ads. Sellers are very vague, and you often have to look for clues on your own, like pics of the center screen showing the trim level. Very annoying since you can't just put what you want in the search box, unless you buy used from Tesla direct or a Tesla-specific used car site.

That's exactly my problem, I was looking at the older Model S but I got a headache, so I kind of passed on it, 60, 70, 75, 85,90,100 and the D it was too much for me, each year has different options, too many variables.

the performance trim is out of my budget, it will cost me $60K OTD, I'd have to stretch myself to get the 2021 LR hoping to make it in Gas saving since I daily drive a Grand Sport Corvette, I am hoping to stay in the $4xK range so that's why I am here asking about which car has the 4.x 0-60.

Got it—just making sure you’re aware of the option. LR AWD+ is a sweet ride—you won’t be disappointed. Good luck.

To kinda expand on what JJ said about there not being a huge price difference between a used and new Model 3...

Not only is that correct, but IMO, the better deal is the (and I can't believe I'm saying this) new car. For not much more than a good used Model 3, you can get a brand new one, with all of the recent refreshes included. Once again, IMO, this is a great value. All of the things that have been "refreshed" on the car add up to a lot of dollar value, making the new Model 3 the best "bang for the buck." Also, you'll be getting all of the new car warranty, not just what remains on a used car.

My used "Stealth" performance Model 3 is worth so much, I'm actually considering selling it to buy a new Performance Model 3 with all of the refresh goodies.

I like to get maximum value for my dollar (who doesn't, really), and oddly enough that means that (right now, at least) the new Model 3 is the better value.

I'm a bit shocked that they were able to do all of the refresh work on the Model 3 without any significant price increases. Yeah, I know that the stealth Performance Model 3 went up in price, but technically that was before the refresh.

If I was a value shopper (and I am : ) ) and in the market for a Long Range AWD Model 3, I'd purchase new as of now.

Reactions: Thp3
To kinda expand on what JJ said about there not being a huge price difference between a used and new Model 3...

Not only is that correct, but IMO, the better deal is the (and I can't believe I'm saying this) new car. For not much more than a good used Model 3, you can get a brand new one, with all of the recent refreshes included. Once again, IMO, this is a great value. All of the things that have been "refreshed" on the car add up to a lot of dollar value, making the new Model 3 the best "bang for the buck." Also, you'll be getting all of the new car warranty, not just what remains on a used car.

My used "Stealth" performance Model 3 is worth so much, I'm actually considering selling it to buy a new Performance Model 3 with all of the refresh goodies.

I like to get maximum value for my dollar (who doesn't, really), and oddly enough that means that (right now, at least) the new Model 3 is the better value.

I'm a bit shocked that they were able to do all of the refresh work on the Model 3 without any significant price increases. Yeah, I know that the stealth Performance Model 3 went up in price, but technically that was before the refresh.

If I was a value shopper (and I am : ) ) and in the market for a Long Range AWD Model 3, I'd purchase new as of now.

But, but, you will lose your frunk clips wont you?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (said tongue in cheek, of course).

• Funny
Reactions: Gasaraki and Phlier

As a fellow Stealth Performance owner I can confirm. I love this car! I don't know if there are better deals now or not but I picked mine up in June from Tesla. It was 6 months old and I paid $51K.

Reactions: BetterSlowDown
I haven't checked in a few months... I think it was around June last I looked, but...

At that time, you could order a Stealth Performance right off of the Tesla website, but you no longer got a discount for the lack of the performance package options, i.e., the performance suspension, metal pedals, spoiler, etc. (Tesla sales reps used to call this the "Performance Model 3 without the performance options.") You could configure the Performance without the pedals, performance suspension, etc., but paid full Performance price. When the "Stealth" performance was sold off-menu, you got a pretty substantial discount off of the full Performance price for not getting the performance suspension, etc.

Has this changed to where you just simply can no longer order the Model 3 Performance without the suspension, pedals, etc.?

Edit: Just looked on Tesla's configurator, and indeed... you can no longer order a Model 3 Performance without the Performance options aka the "stealth" performance. Bummer!

Reactions: MoparGuy
Inventory cars on Tesla site are another path to markdown on new cars. Tesla marks down showroom and demo cars. They still register as new, qualify for state and local rebates.

Electric cars are less susceptible to abuse. There are no rings and cylinders that suffer from full-throttle wear before the engine warms up.

You can use a site like EV-CPO.com to accelerate your search.

Reactions: MoparGuy and Mr X
Long Range AWD with the $2,000 power-up option comes close to being a stealth performance. No Track Mode, though.

You will likely save on tickets. The car doesn’t catch a law enforcement officer’s eye the way your current ride, or a blinged-out 3 Performance would.

There isnt very much "bling" to a performance model 3. Most people wouldnt even be able to tell the difference. It has bigger tires (which other people put on their model 3s), red brake calipers (which many model 3 owners paint anyway), and thats about it.

Older ones (like mine) didnt even come with the badging. I have my badge with the red underline still in a bag, uninstalled, but anyone can buy that badge from tesla and stick it on their car so it doesnt mean anything, and no one outside of tesla owners has any clue what a red underline under the badge means.

There isnt any bling to catch law enforcements eye on a performance 3 with performance package, vs one without.

Reactions: Let's Drive

I just bought a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with Performance Boost for $36100. Would have been $49990 new. I agree they don't depreciate as much as other brands but that was enough of a difference for me to be ok with not getting the refresh features for now, so I wouldn't discount a used model off-hand if you can get the right deal.

Reactions: MoparGuy
That's exactly my problem, I was looking at the older Model S but I got a headache, so I kind of passed on it, 60, 70, 75, 85,90,100 and the D it was too much for me, each year has different options, too many variables.

It's not that confusing. The "number" is just (roughly) the battery size in kWh -- i.e. range. The "P" would mean it's a Performance model (P85, P85+, P85D, P90D, P100D). The "D" just means AWD instead of RWD. The options across the years changed somewhat, but not all that much. After 2015, most options became standard (cold weather, ultra hi-fi, sunroof, etc).

If your budget in in the $40s, I'd strongly recommend looking at a 2014 or 2015 P85D. You can find P85D models built between Dec 2014 and April 2015 (inclusive) that have the Performance+ suspension (think BMW M5 or AMG handling). A stock P85D would give you a 3.2s 0-60. A rare find is a P85D that had the Ludicrous upgrade performed which improves the 0-60 to 2.8s.

See: Tesla Motors delivers 'ludicrous speed upgrade' for Model S P85D - ExtremeTech

I have a 2014 P85D+ which I absolutely love. My other car is an BMW E39 M5 and guess which car I drive more?

If you don't like the old-style Model S nosecone, look for a P90D (with or without Ludicrous) with the facelift/refreshed front end.

Good luck!

It's not that confusing. The "number" is just (roughly) the battery size in kWh -- i.e. range. The "P" would mean it's a Performance model (P85, P85+, P85D, P90D, P100D). The "D" just means AWD instead of RWD. The options across the years changed somewhat, but not all that much. After 2015, most options became standard (cold weather, ultra hi-fi, sunroof, etc).

If your budget in in the $40s, I'd strongly recommend looking at a 2014 or 2015 P85D. You can find P85D models built between Dec 2014 and April 2015 (inclusive) that have the Performance+ suspension (think BMW M5 or AMG handling). A stock P85D would give you a 3.2s 0-60. A rare find is a P85D that had the Ludicrous upgrade performed which improves the 0-60 to 2.8s.

See: Tesla Motors delivers 'ludicrous speed upgrade' for Model S P85D - ExtremeTech

I have a 2014 P85D+ which I absolutely love. My other car is an BMW E39 M5 and guess which car I drive more?

If you don't like the old-style Model S nosecone, look for a P90D (with or without Ludicrous) with the facelift/refreshed front end.

Good luck!

If OP daily drives a 'vette, its unlikely they would be happy daily driving a model S unless they were looking for something pretty different.