Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HELP!! We are stranded in Pullman, WA!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! I’m just reaching out to see if there are any Tesla owners in Pullman that can help us out. This is our first trip up here and we didn’t realize that the destination charger was only one. We don’t have our adapter and I’m trying to see if anyone has a garage charger that we can use. We’re down to 5%!

I m in Moscow across the border. I’ve got a fast 80A Tesla wall charger in my garage or I can bring you adapters as needed. Let me know — headed to Pullman in an hour actually so I can drop adapters by then if I hear back in time
Too bad you're not listed on the PlugShare App. That may have helped them when there were struggling. Something to consider. I searched in that area for them and found no one listed.

Upvote 0
You can ask at the front desk who owns the car. Then you can knock on their door and see where their charge level is. Its likely they've been charging all night and did nit disconnect when full. All you need is enough to get to the closest SC. I'll coin this phrase: "Share The Charge"

One thing I started doing when on the road was put a note on my dashboard that if some other EV driver needed the plug, to text me, and the number.

Because we can unlock the charge port remotely, this could allow someone to grab the charger in a near spot, without needing to move cars.

I didn't like the idea of hogging a sole destination charger all night, when my car is done in 5 hours. Front desk was always useless, they have no idea what charging means or how to manage it. Maybe this approach can help?

Upvote 0
Came her
Hello! I’m just reaching out to see if there are any Tesla owners in Pullman that can help us out. This is our first trip up here and we didn’t realize that the destination charger was only one. We don’t have our adapter and I’m trying to see if anyone has a garage charger that we can use. We’re down to 5%!
Came here looking for the end to this story. Nothing!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I am on plugshare. Need to turn on the “private homes” filter to see it.

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge
Odd. I have that filter on and I am not listed either. And I don't find anyone around Moscow. Will keep looking. That's nice, I think, that you make that available!

Update: Guessing you are JWB. I found you using the listed link. However, I cannot find anything through the app. That to me would be more useful while traveling. Will continue to investigate.

Reactions: IdaX
Upvote 1
My TMC, J1772->Tesla and CCS1->Tesla adapters never , under any circumstances, leave my M3.
I bought a css adapter for a long trip but never needed it as superchargers are just the good. Currently I use the j1772 adapter all the time at home as we have a leaf and still have that plug at home.

I have the universal wall connector on order and then I can keep it in the car all the time.

Upvote 0
This, recieved from OP via PM, on 9/29:

"Lol, we worked it out. I appreciate the feedback and we did find a Tesla charger out in Moscow which is where our hotel room was. It was slow but did the job. Lesson learned and we now have our spare adapter loaded in the car. 😉"

Thought she might post herself but for now this must suffice.

Upvote 0
This, recieved from OP via PM, on 9/29:

"Lol, we worked it out. I appreciate the feedback and we did find a Tesla charger out in Moscow which is where our hotel room was. It was slow but did the job. Lesson learned and we now have our spare adapter loaded in the car. 😉"

Thought she might post herself but for now this must suffice.
Cool, case solved, drive on.

Upvote 0
One thing I started doing when on the road was put a note on my dashboard that if some other EV driver needed the plug, to text me, and the number.

Because we can unlock the charge port remotely, this could allow someone to grab the charger in a near spot, without needing to move cars.

I didn't like the idea of hogging a sole destination charger all night, when my car is done in 5 hours. Front desk was always useless, they have no idea what charging means or how to manage it. Maybe this approach can help?
I saw a number of years ago someone had posted a picture of I think a frisbee that they had placed on their dash, and it had places for basic contact info, and a note to contact them if someone else needed a charge. I've looked for it since and have not been able to find it. I think giving something like this to people, or even people seeing it, would perhaps make some think about sharing the limited chargers that are out there. We were at a Best Western in N. Spokane recently for two nights, and there was a Kia or Hyundai plugged into one of the two chargers for at least 36 hours, what a waste.

Upvote 0
I saw a number of years ago someone had posted a picture of I think a frisbee that they had placed on their dash, and it had places for basic contact info, and a note to contact them if someone else needed a charge. I've looked for it since and have not been able to find it. I think giving something like this to people, or even people seeing it, would perhaps make some think about sharing the limited chargers that are out there. We were at a Best Western in N. Spokane recently for two nights, and there was a Kia or Hyundai plugged into one of the two chargers for at least 36 hours, what a waste.

Yeah, this is a funny grey area at present, that will ultimately need some sort of better solution. Once EVs get popular enough so these are always booked up, it's going to be a problem to have wasted service time. And I don't think they'll build out so many connectors that it's not a problem. One partial solution is to have two parking spots covered per adapter, to give some parking and plug flexibility. Mostly I just see them all in a row, one per spot.

At a couple of the hotels I did destination charging, they had a 3 hour max rule for the parking spot. This was their solution to getting people to move, but it didn't work for me because arriving at 11 pm, there is no way I was waking up at 2 am to move my car. I just pushed my luck. I know the front desk doesn't want any auto liability about moving cars, so leaving a key with them was a non starter. They didn't even want to have to call or text someone to let them know to move.

We could use some sort of social contract where well behaved humans try to not hog the charger, but it's hard to see how this would be communicated or work. For my part for example, I'd be fine with someone moving my car to a new spot, activating the car to drive remotely. Especially for another EV owner, or a hotel employee, this would be fine with me. I know lots of folks would abolutely not sign up for that. I'd rather have a valet move my car as needed so I don't have to wake up to messages.

Currently the rule is first-come first-served with no time limits. That's also a possible solution, even if it's sub-optimal use of resources.

• Helpful
Reactions: Paul42 and IdaX
Upvote 0
... We could use some sort of social contract where well behaved humans try to not hog the charger, ...

The charger at the hotel we were using was a ChargePoint I believe, and required an app. Maybe they could write a nag function into their app that if your car is plugged in more than 12 - 18 hours, an alarm starts going off, perhaps with a verbal message about sharing the charger. Maybe a better idea, and less obtrusive, if ChargePoint knows who is hogging the charger (or any other charging vendor), write a feature into the app that allows someone who needs a charge to send a request to the person whos car is at the charger to share the charge.

Upvote 0
The charger at the hotel we were using was a ChargePoint I believe, and required an app. Maybe they could write a nag function into their app that if your car is plugged in more than 12 - 18 hours, an alarm starts going off, perhaps with a verbal message about sharing the charger. Maybe a better idea, and less obtrusive, if ChargePoint knows who is hogging the charger (or any other charging vendor), write a feature into the app that allows someone who needs a charge to send a request to the person whos car is at the charger to share the charge.

Ah, interesting that it was a Chargepoint. They are missing the boat there, because they don't get paid for being connected, only for actually charging. So having someone hog the charger for 36 hours costs them money.

This is probably at least part of the solution, where Chargepoint could add idle fees once it's ridiculous, or if someone else looks to charge and it's locked out. Tesla's model is not bad there, where you get idle fees after 5 minutes, but only if the entire charging station is more than 50% in use. Chargepoint could do something like that to free up chargers. Anything past 12 hours could easily be charged idle fees, there are no vehicles that take that long on L2.

Especially with Chargepoint, I'd be willing to give them an API access to my chargeport, so that they could unlock it remotely and allow a nearby car to plug in instead. Similar to how Teslafi uses a web login, but never sees my actual Tesla credentials.

Upvote 0
The long term solution is most likely going to be power sharing. Put 4-6 or so level 2 chargers on an 80 amp feeder circuit. Same power requirements as 1 charger, but no need to have everyone get up in the middle of the day/night to swap their cars.

One spot gets ICED? Once spot gets vandalized? One connector is broken? More capacity for the rest of the spots.

It's going to suck when the lot is full and you're only getting 10-15 amps, but as cars finish the rate will go up and it'll be a lot more equitable if everyone does need to charge.

Upvote 0