TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Help with Blackvue install

Discussion in 'Model S' started by viper2ko, May 31, 2018.

1. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

I mounted the cam and am trying to fish the power cable thru the microphone grate over to behind the mirror. I've seen videos and everyone makes it seem easy but I can't get the wire to go anywhere. Do I need to pull the top dash off?

2. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Supporting Member

I struggled a little also as it is very tight in there. I was able to get it through from the middle (coming from the back of the opening) towards the driver side as you move towards the windshield. I used a small wire fish to get it through....so keep trying. It helps to use a trim pry bar to full down the headliner near the windshield also.

If you can remove the visor stay it looks like it would be much easier...but I found that rivet behind the little cover impossible to get out...so I did it with out removing the visor stay...which added to the challenge

3. viper2ko

viper2ko Member

Got it to go. However i broke the piece on the back windshield right side. One of the blue clips got chipped not it won't sit flush

4. Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr Supporting Member

If you need to replace the blue clips they are very inexpensive. Just go on amazon and order Toyota trim clips. You will see the ones that match. They are exactly the same. I broke several clips but having extras on hand made it a non issue.

I ordered this kit to have a full range https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0734RB6XG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_i_rEueBb10E4MSW

• Informative x 1
  5. David.85D

David.85D Member

I think the OP was asking about the very short route. I don’t see a need to lower the headliner or sun visors. It does help to remove the rear view mirror and the trim around the mirror. Then everything is easy. Some of the other blackvue install threads show how to do this. If you can’t find them, I can summarize...

I have an AP1 car. Not sure how all that trim works for AP2 cars.

6. arcus

arcus Active Member

7. bharned3

bharned3 Member

Glad you got it. My struggle was the back one, but finally got it to work.

8. BEEZR

BEEZR Member

What did you use for the power source in your 2013? I have a 2014, pre-AP, and do not have the spare power under the microphone grill (as I suppose you did not either).

9. P-town_P85

P-town_P85 Member

I personally used the lift gate power behind the right side molding in the trunk. A 30A circuit that will nearly never be used at the same time as the camera.