Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with High Electric Bill?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Tesla gen 2 wall connector, but recently added a ChargePoint HomeFlex since we may get another electric vehicle one day that is not a Tesla. PSEG on Long Island gave me a $500 rebate plus an additional $50 check for signing up to link my unit to the utility and a 5 cents per kWh discount for charging at night.
The HomeFlex knows your utility rate and shows you how much your charge cost you. Even with my high rates of a little over 20 cents per kWh, my charging is costing my about five dollars per 150 miles, assuming they are calculating my rate correctly. This is cheaper than I was paying for gas when I got my car in May 2019. With gas very low now, I don't know how much it would be saving me, but I don't really even pay attention.

Tesla wall connectors can charge other EVs...

Reactions: Phlier
Wow some of you are really making me sad. I’m debating whether to switch my house to .24 peak and .13 off peak vs stay .17. Crazy how cheap some of your electricity is, 01-.06. Next you’re going to tell me you pay less then $3800 a year for insurance on your Y…..MI sucks for some things.

$3800?! yikes …. I pay under $900 each to insure a 3 and an X … in NJ, of all states!

Wow some of you are really making me sad. I’m debating whether to switch my house to .24 peak and .13 off peak vs stay .17. Crazy how cheap some of your electricity is, 01-.06. Next you’re going to tell me you pay less then $3800 a year for insurance on your Y…..MI sucks for some things.
If it makes you feel better, MA is 0.26 all the time. OTOH, my 3 costs $1050 a year to insure.

Whoa $3,800 is crazy... are you like in the UP with the (edit, I can't read :p) RWD China Model Y? Slide slide slide all over in the snow ...

Many years ago I had a beater Corolla that was like $600 per year to insure in Indiana. I moved to the Detroit-area for work and my insurance company upped my premium to like $2,200 with absolutely no change in coverage. I think there's a Foreign-made* bias up there... that even permeates the insurance underwriting. I ended getting a RWD V8 Charger and my insurance dropped down to like $1,200 per year.

* Note: to many of the people who work for the old-school big 3 automakers in Detroit, anything that is not made by the UAW or CAW under those nameplates is considered foreign. They consider a car "foreign" if it is made by Toyota NUMMI workers who were members of the UAW, or non-UAW folks in Vance, AL. You park the wrong USA made car in the "USA only lot" and it's getting ticketed. Or worse, someone removes the lugnuts.

Last edited:
Are you a new driver? $3800 would be for a high risk driver, either real young or many accidents and tickets.. I worked in auto insurance for a while. I pay under $1000/yr for a model 3 with Liberty Mutual in New York.

2200 for S and 3 a year in GA. And I thought it was too much 😂
To OP many good recommendation, check about EV rate for night charging. We pay 0.04 between 12am to 6 am. My bill actually smaller than it was year ago when I had just one EV vs 2 now because of that. But we did adjust how we use electricity during peak hours. For Example I ran AC during the night to cool the house to low temps and then set temps higher for a day so ac won’t come on during peak hours.

Are you a new driver? $3800 would be for a high risk driver, either real young or many accidents and tickets.. I worked in auto insurance for a while. I pay under $1000/yr for a model 3 with Liberty Mutual in New York.
No Michigan insurance is just stupid expensive. I’m 42 with no accidents, tickets, high credit score, multiple car, home, life, umbrella policies. I could get it a bit cheaper by switching policies, but getting it under 3k probably won’t happen with decent coverage. 250/500k I think is what I have now.

Are people including the delivery charge when they quote their electric rates? My electricity is 6.4c/kWh, but the delivery charge is 7.6c/kWh, so 14c/kWh total.

And that’s me paying 1c extra per kWh so all my electricity would come from renewable source.
We have two AC units, pool pump running and electric lawn mower and all electric tools plus two fridges, all lights are led.

Attachments

• 29970DF6-CB7D-4F0D-8DD2-8B0D0B1E9030.png
    29970DF6-CB7D-4F0D-8DD2-8B0D0B1E9030.png
    391.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
So I’m into my third full month with my M3. PECO is our electrical supplier. The month I got the car, September (it was mostly in the shop getting work done) our bill was $66.40:

October $87.92
November $103.07
December $135.43

I see a correlation between driving it more often and a higher bill because naturally the more it’s driven the lower the battery % is so it has to charge longer. But our bill was $55 this team last year and a nearly $100 jump over 3-5 full charges in a month seems off. The car is always plugged in with scheduled charging to begin at 10 PM (although PECO no longer separates off hours, etc.).

I got a 14-50 installed with the max 32 AMPS (or volt?). If I turned that down and had the car charge longer, would that improve our price since it’s drawing less electricity? Or because it’d be on longer would it be a wash?

I’m just so perplexed. All the research I did before the car seemed to show people’s bills going up $15-$30 so this isn’t a welcomed sight, by any means.

Any advice is recommended!
I haven't gone through this entire thread, but anyone telling you that your bill would only go up $15-$30 is completely wrong(if you drive over 1,000-1,500 miles/month).
Your power bill is absurdly low. Without solar I don't know anyone with a bill under $100.

Winter time here in PA generally causes you to consume more battery power than you do in the summer months. Using the heater and lack of full regen on cold days wreak havoc on you average wH/mile. So naturally you will use more AC power to recharge the battery. Let’s say your typical summer commute is 50 miles round trip and your average wH/mile is 220. In the winter with a cold battery, using the heater, and wet roads , your average wH/ mile will be over 300. So instead of using just 50 miles from your battery, you are likely using close to 80 miles. This is why your bill is higher in the winter, your using more energy to go the same distance.

I will say your bill increase still seems excessive. After an entire year of ownership and 22,000 miles driven my utility bills see an average of $28 month increase. We pay 11c per kWh in eastern PA with UGI
11 cents per kw..??? I need to move