Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
Working! For now...
I was thinking about the lead fracture problem (something the comes up in my line of work).
I plugged in, port went dark as usual.
Then I gave the plug end of the charger two 360 degree twists, to store some torque in the cable, then tried again. Immediately detected dark blue then changed to flashing green and charging at 32A.

This unfortunately seems to indicate a fracture in the distal end of the charging cable in one of the fine communication wires. It will probably eventually stop working completely, but that's future-me problem :)
Warranty?

Not doubting you..but page 7 of the manual shows from Left to right as earth, neutral, phase 3, phase 2, phase 1. You seem to have used earth, neutral, phase 3. Your pic above shows no cables in the phase 1 and phase 2 terminal block?
Here’s a better shot:
181F4887-B37C-4BBA-B99A-2949A45B5956.jpeg

Might be a different manual? This is the manual linked in my MyTesla account documents:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/wall_connector_install_guide_32a-3p_cn_hk_eu_au_0.pdf
Yes different to my manual, although notice on page 6 yours has the order I was referring to, but you have clearly installed into L1, even though L1 according to the graphic is the other end of the block One of them is incorrect. Hopefully its the manual.
Actually I now recall this issue with my very first HPWC installation. Tesla had a piece of loose paper clarifying the connection. Cant remember which way it was clarified though.

The latest chargers have a 48 month warranty, but to be honest your ACL rights supercede this. A reasonable consumer would expect their charger to last more than 3 years. I would press Tesla hard to replace this for you and I suspect they will.
I will give it a go and report back. I agree, the charger should last more than 3 years.

I don't have a warranty in my list of documents in my account. Is that were the warranty should be?
Yes the warranty doc used to live there. Noticed mine is missing....hmmmm....but my order agreement outlines the warranty after all of the costs, and the 2nd page of the order agreement refers to the warranty document located on the portal......which is no longer there. The HPWC is part of the car. I read somewhere on another thread that it had the same warranty as the car.

I will give it a go and report back. I agree, the charger should last more than 3 years.
The end of your connector manual outlines the warranty, 48mnth or 80,000km, whichever comes first. Given you could use your mobile connector and the supercharger a lot, the 80,000km probably hasnt been reached on your wall connector. This assumes its the one that came with your vehicle. If not its 12 months

Either way, a manufacturer can print whatever they want as far as the warranty goes. In the end, it comes down to what a reasonable consumer would expect according to consumer legislation. I've used this strategy with apple chargers many times.

Here's a good read:
Broken but out of warranty? You still have rights
Yes I've used ACL before too, at least the threat of it. Always had resolution.

Looking at your first photo I was thinking the red and purple? signal wires look like they have a pretty severe kink in them just before the crimp on connectors. A screwdriver slip while doing up the large neutral? Might be worth checking the continuity of those two - or trim and re crimp.
They do look kinked, and it might be worth re-crimping them. There is enough slack to do so.
The only concern is that it went from not working to working by manipulating the distal end of the charging cable, so it seems that's where the fracture is. I had the unit closed and it wasn't working, and without re-opening the unit got it to work by twisting the distal end.
I'll give Tesla a call tomorrow and see how nice they are feeling...

The only concern is that it went from not working to working by manipulating the distal end of the charging cable, so it seems that's where the fracture is. I had the unit closed and it wasn't working, and without re-opening the unit got it to work by twisting the distal end.

Agreed - thats logical. Murphy sometimes says otherwise :)
Let us know how you go with Tesla.