Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here comes another Tesla crash ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that can happen in a lot of cars in a crash even with a handle to pull on. Many modern cars lock the doors over a certain speed. I imagine that results in locked doors after a crash like this.

I understand the nature of the issue. The way the doors are designed with the windows getting tugged under the trip into the seal, a simple mechanical override could damage the window and or chrome trim. It's designed to roll down the window a bit before opening the door. I would just hope in an accident, the car would somehow enable a simple way to open to doors both from inside and outside.

I believe side airbags stay inflated for multiple rollover events while the steering wheel airbag deflates so the driver can steer the car out of trouble if the impact isn't too severe.
I dunno about that- if the impact is severe enough for the front airbags to go off, I can’t imagine there is going to be any steering going on after that (not to mention you may have a fractured wrist/hands/arms after detonation?) One random article said they deflated so quickly because it’s supposed to cushion you to a stop and not bounce your head off a springy surface only to have it whiplash back against the seat/headrest.

I guess that sort of makes sense about the side/curtain airbags remaining inflated - you CAN bounce your head off of that and not have anything to smack into on the rebound (except maybe your passengers head as theirs bounces off the curtain airbag?)

Its always sad to see someone lose they life in a car wreak (doesn't matter what car they drive) and its really hard to imagine what the witness will now have to live with (guilt and the feeling of helplessness) however , and I say this with condolences to the family of this individual and that we don't know all the facts yet of this incident, the one common factor in almost all these accidents( just in case I missed something) is the speed at which the cars were going at. What I fear the most is that with so many people saying that electric cars batteries are unsafe that the NTSB will require that the car manufactures put a governor on the cars to limit the speed and the 0-100KM (0-60Miles) to mimic a slower ICE car. I mean the numbers that the tesla model s puts up places it in or close to supercar ranks. The only reason we don't hear of every single Lamborghini crash or fire , and they do catch fire a lot, is that they are not main stream. Now today we have everyone from kids to adults owning a tesla that can go like crazy off the line and has a very high top speed and they are driving them not beyond the cars capabilities but beyond the drivers capabilities. I remember the first time I took my 2017 Model S 100D out and just smashed the pedal to the metal , the instant torque was crazy but what scared me is how fast the car got to 100 Km and hour and beyond in a very short time, and yes I have only owned only sports cars in my lifetime. What these cars do is not only go fast but force the drivers to think way ahead of the car, you have to have your next move already thought out prior to making your current move. These cars go very fast but they also weigh a lot and it takes a lot of skill and thinking to drive them safely at high speeds as they don't stop on a dime.
The tech in these cars are amazing but the only piece of hardware tesla cant control is the one between the seat and the steering wheel so I feel that the NTSB will shortly introduce a law "Calming" the electric car down until such time as the batteries are shown to be safer in a high speed crash., yes I get it that ICE cars catch fire just as easy but unfortunately society has grown to accept that fact , its just in todays world of instant and inflated claims electric car crashes will, for now, be headline news. Just remember before you post a comment on this or any other accident that someone has lost a loved one in the crash regardless of what caused the crash.

Anyone know about how to open the trunk without power on the model S? I can imagine it would be important for those with rear child seats and need to get the kids out in a hurry without power from the car. Smashing and removing the laminated rear glass is not a easy thing to do.

Reactions: OPRCE
My bigger concern is that this is yet another instance of a battery reigniting hours later. Also with the battery running the length of the vehicle directly under the cabin, most likely flames engulfed the vehicle instantaneously unlike an ICE vehicle where it usually starts in the engine bay but in some instances the so-called firewall acts as a temporary barrier, or in the rear where the gas tank lies.

Then again, I'm not sure what the mortality rate is in a 90mph collision regardless of vehicle.

My bigger concern is that this is yet another instance of a battery reigniting hours later. Also with the battery running the length of the vehicle directly under the cabin, most likely flames engulfed the vehicle instantaneously unlike an ICE vehicle where it usually starts in the engine bay but in some instances the so-called firewall acts as a temporary barrier, or in the rear where the gas tank lies.

Then again, I'm not sure what the mortality rate is in a 90mph collision regardless of vehicle.

Aside from that one Volt way back in 2011 that got crash tested by the IIHS/NHTSA, got stored in some facility upside down, then caught fire 3 weeks after the crash test, has there been any other cases of EV's battery packs exploding into flames after an accident? I've never heard of a Volt, Bolt, or Leaf catching fire, and those are 3 of the most populous plugins after Teslas.

Reactions: OPRCE
Aside from that one Volt way back in 2011 that got crash tested by the IIHS/NHTSA, got stored in some facility upside down, then caught fire 3 weeks after the crash test, has there been any other cases of EV's battery packs exploding into flames after an accident? I've never heard of a Volt, Bolt, or Leaf catching fire, and those are 3 of the most populous plugins after Teslas.
Tesla Model S catches fire in California parking lot and reignites hours later at a tow yard

The battery is made up of several modules and they have firewalls to slow or prevent the spread of the fire. Just because one module might catch on fire doesn't mean the entire battery pack will instantly ignite and engulf the entire vehicle. I'd rather be in a vehicle that has numerous firewalls than in an ICE vehicle where the fuel can instantly spray all over the vehicle and can't be slowed down or contained once the fuel has spilled

Back in 2013, Elon wrote "For consumers concerned about fire risk, there should be absolutely zero doubt that it is safer to power a car with a battery than a large tank of highly flammable liquid”.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
7. Add to your latched list the Bellinzona case, where it is well documented that the driver was fully cremated in situ (reportedly the fire-brigade were delayed by jammed traffic so by the time they started to spray water it was more or less just on the remnant puddle of molten alloy)
We don't know in that one whether he died from the accident or from the fire.

Normally in a high speed accident you die from injuries sustained, and the whole burning alive thing isn't an issue. But, a Model S/X are so safe from the accident that there is a very real chance that you're going to get burned alive.

Which is a really, really tragic way to die.

My primary concern in this Florida case is whether enhancements can be made to the door mechanism to make it easier to rescue people from the vehicle.

I also don't know why there is such an obsession with reckless driving in a Tesla. I get that it's fast, but it doesn't push me to do these stupid reckless stunts (like all the Florida ones).

Sure this is a common thing with high performance vehicles, and we don't really do much to curb it (except for laws). But, we can do things when it's connected car like the Tesla. We've already seen this with Tesla updating the firmware to allow a parent to set a max speed. But, if these incidents continue to happen I could some law makers saying "Well if they can update the brake firmware then how about a sensing reckless driving outside a track, and shutting the whole thing down?".

Or when Tesla takes over insurance then maybe they'll force that kind of thing on the owner. I'd probably prefer that kind of insurance because I don't have to pay for idiots doing stupid things then.

Reactions: OPRCE and outdoors
Moderator note: Please note this thread is for discussing a specific, unfortunate accident involving a Tesla Model S. Thank you.

Bruce.

It's too related to other incidents involving a Model S/X to limit it to specific accident.

There is at least one user seeing a pattern.

Now I dismiss that there is a pattern, but someone who feels like there is a pattern and can support it with evidence I say is someone who should post.

Where its 100% relevant as it's related.

Like in the early fires of a Model S there was a pattern. That pattern was the battery pack being penetrated by a foreign object. That was resolved by using a shield.

You shouldn't limit things just because the initial person who posed a theory didn't know what they were talking about.

Reactions: OPRCE and outdoors

Really, I have seen many EV fires that are not Tesla over the years, they just don't get headline news. I know if several other LEAF fires that never were covered. This one is just warming the battery pack though.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
It's too related to other incidents involving a Model S/X to limit it to specific accident.

There is at least one user seeing a pattern.

Now I dismiss that there is a pattern, but someone who feels like there is a pattern and can support it with evidence I say is someone who should post.

Where its 100% relevant as it's related.

Like in the early fires of a Model S there was a pattern. That pattern was the battery pack being penetrated by a foreign object. That was resolved by using a shield.

You shouldn't limit things just because the initial person who posed a theory didn't know what they were talking about.

People can feel free to discuss that pattern in this thread, where I moved posts discussing generalizations of Tesla fires.

Incidents of Tesla fires...

Please keep this thread focused on this particular incident.

Thank you,

Bruce.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS