Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Here is what really annoys me about extra cost paint "options".

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is because not many wanted basic black,
Yes, that what you are thinking. I'm thinking the opposite - that not may wanted the basic white and that they therefore canceled it.
Btw: We have seen a few white RC cars out there. It is hard to tell, but I do really think it looks like they are basic white, not multi-coat pearl white. So this may return with the Model 3?
Btw II: We are discussing Model 3 here, so why do you have to bring up the price of metallic paint for Model S/X? Basic white if offered will probably be a none-cost option, like it was. Or it will be the multi-coat pearl white that cost $1500 on S/X. And what the cost if multi-coat on Model 3 will be, no-one outside of Tesla knows yet....

I personally think that the less options, the better. Tesla NEEDS to simplify the production as much as humanly possible. Ideally, it'd be one configuration for the first year - we all know that you all will buy it and love it. When people stop buying cars because of automation, no one will care about the color of the car, inside or outside.

Your car is an appliance. I find car enthusiasts ridiculous in this way - chasing performance numbers, horsepower, lap times, etc. Personalizing their cars with custom wraps, logos, stickers. I don't see anyone doing that to their oven or microwave. I for one can't wait for the death of human interaction, flawed and imperfect - it introduces massive inefficiencies and even more massive dangers.

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
I personally think that the less options, the better. Tesla NEEDS to simplify the production as much as humanly possible. Ideally, it'd be one configuration for the first year - we all know that you all will buy it and love it. When people stop buying cars because of automation, no one will care about the color of the car, inside or outside.

Your car is an appliance. I find car enthusiasts ridiculous in this way - chasing performance numbers, horsepower, lap times, etc. Personalizing their cars with custom wraps, logos, stickers. I don't see anyone doing that to their oven or microwave. I for one can't wait for the death of human interaction, flawed and imperfect - it introduces massive inefficiencies and even more massive dangers.

You're going to fit right in here. :)

I think that Tesla shouldn't price gouge for options that other automobile manufacturers offer for free. I understand that they need to maximize margins, especially for the model 3, but be strategic. They have unique options like autopilot and internet and mobile apps and awd and ludicrous... Don't gouge on paint. I am even OK for a marginal charge for metallic or multi layer, but matched to cost like an extra $250. Get your gouging extra margins from the more unique options because no one else can offer them. Just my $0.02

Reactions: 1 person
I think that Tesla shouldn't price gouge for options that other automobile manufacturers offer for free. I understand that they need to maximize margins, especially for the model 3, but be strategic. They have unique options like autopilot and internet and mobile apps and awd and ludicrous... Don't gouge on paint. I am even OK for a marginal charge for metallic or multi layer, but matched to cost like an extra $250. Get your gouging extra margins from the more unique options because no one else can offer them. Just my $0.02

Yes, this is another way of saying what I've been saying. Charge lots of money for autopilot, leather seats, the full sunroof, the fancy stereo, and Ludicrous mode. Paint, especially basic, non-metallic paint, should never be a $1000 charge to switch between basic colors like black, white, and silver.

Is there a *current* thread on Model 3 paint? Seems that they're calling the white "multi coat" and that black is the only one that's not "multi?" But... I've seen the white. It is white. Cheap white. Like government vehicle white. What part of this is "multi-coat?"

Is there a *current* thread on Model 3 paint? Seems that they're calling the white "multi coat" and that black is the only one that's not "multi?" But... I've seen the white. It is white. Cheap white. Like government vehicle white. What part of this is "multi-coat?"
I drive a Pearl White Prius. The white on the model 3 is definitely Pearl White. The multi-coat process goes something like this: primer, base white, pearlizer, clear coat.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I've had both standard white (no longer offered) and pearl white. Pearl white definitely is pearl and multicoat. It is not cheap government vehicle white.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I've had both standard white (no longer offered) and pearl white. Pearl white definitely is pearl and multicoat. It is not cheap government vehicle white.
Thanks Bonnie. While I've not seen a Model 3 next to a "gov-white" vehicle, the M3 white sure hasn't yet impressed me. Maybe I just need better lighting.

Thanks to you, I feel better about my decision to go with white.

Thanks Bonnie. While I've not seen a Model 3 next to a "gov-white" vehicle, the M3 white sure hasn't yet impressed me. Maybe I just need better lighting.

Thanks to you, I feel better about my decision to go with white.
I love my pearl white. At first I didn't want pearl, because so many have that champagne-y tint to them. I wanted white white. But then I saw Tesla's pearl white & realized it is truly white, with none of that off-color business going on. :). I'm really happy with it.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
No
a tiny bit of research would reveal that all Tesla cars use the same colors
resurrecting two dead threads?
Man, this "two dead threads" thing seems to be one of the biggest offenses for a couple of highly-strung folks.

It's great that some kind folks have offered helpful input, and insights into my question.

And about that "tiny bit of research" - please bear with me. I'm new to the internet. And EVs. And really, life in general. My faulty searching turned up what Bonnie mentioned - that Tesla DID offer a standard white. Please pardon my intrusion into your busy forum surfing of much newer, shinier threads.

I love my pearl white. At first I didn't want pearl, because so many have that champagne-y tint to them. I wanted white white. But then I saw Tesla's pearl white & realized it is truly white, with none of that off-color business going on. :). I'm really happy with it.

Well, that seals the deal then. I know just what you mean about that sort of "Lexus champagne" tint you speak of. I've seen this car in white four times (and two of the other colors). And for the life of me, I thought the white was NOT pearled. I realize now that I only viewed it indoors, with artificial lighting (though I drove one of them, I only saw the outside of the car when I was indoors!)

Now just awaiting that invite (which up until a week ago was supposed to arrive this month!).

Cheers,

Man, this "two dead threads" thing seems to be one of the biggest offenses for a couple of highly-strung folks.

It's great that some kind folks have offered helpful input, and insights into my question.

And about that "tiny bit of research" - please bear with me. I'm new to the internet. And EVs. And really, life in general. My faulty searching turned up what Bonnie mentioned - that Tesla DID offer a standard white. Please pardon my intrusion into your busy forum surfing of much newer, shinier threads.
Nothing to do with the internet. Just figured someone with as many posts as you have would have already been beyond the internet posting stage and more towards exploring what the cars look like in the real world where they get driven.
Visiting a Tesla showroom or gallery you would see the entire (and tiny) range of paint that Tesla offer.
I only say that because things like paint or trim always looks completely different from the the computer screen when you get to touch and move or prod them.
Messing with the paint sample bits you can really see the multicoat effect.

Just read this thread since it got necro'd.. just going to point out that Tesla could easily offer a plain white at no extra cost if they chose too. It requires no change to the paint lines or extra equipment, all they have to do is the same paint process as the multi-coat white and skip the pearl coat step. White base coat is cheap, possibly the cheapest of them all since the main pigment (titanium dioxide) is probably the most used pigment so economy of scale etc..

Just read this thread since it got necro'd.. just going to point out that Tesla could easily offer a plain white at no extra cost if they chose too. It requires no change to the paint lines or extra equipment, all they have to do is the same paint process as the multi-coat white and skip the pearl coat step. White base coat is cheap, possibly the cheapest of them all since the main pigment (titanium dioxide) is probably the most used pigment so economy of scale etc..
They use to, but it's more profitable to charge $1,000 for the pearl. I'm just glad they're not charging $1,500 like they do for the S and X.

This is just gouging, they should offer most colors at no extra cost. I have the pearl white metallic tri-coat and it looks amazing.
$595 for that option on a vehicle twice the size of the 3.
a relative of mine has an audi R8 in black with the phantom whatever you call it paint job... $650 option.
$1000 for a small sedan is Apple-ish

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
It might be just as simple as Tesla doing everything it can to ramp up production to 5,000 cars a month (or a week). By painting so many the same color, it is easy to take off a flawed part and bolt on a matching part from stock.

I know they have recently installed a very expensive, state of the art paint booth. Maybe they are coming up to speed on that as well, and are trying to limit colors to reduce complexity.

As with their other vehicles, I would expect Tesla to add additonal color selections as things smooth out, and they reduce some of their massive backlog.

I understand that color is a very emotional issue, and that most people have a specific color that they would desire be offered, but in the beginning Tesla is reducing options to increase productivity.

Then again, maybe they are just mean greedy people that wish only to get all the money for doing as little as possible.

Since Elon is taking no salary and gets no pay for the next 10 years, no matter how much the company makes, I find that theory flawed.

Tesla knows the value of color. They have even designed specialized color for the launch editions of the Model S. Signiture red is still one of the favorite colors of many.

Expect to see more color options as soon as practicle.

I have the metallic black on my model S. I absolutely love the color. The model S is a premium vehicle and like virtually all of its competition you pay extra for metallic colors. Check out Porsche, BMW, Audi etc. that is how does a done. It is really simple if you do not feel there is value in a company's product you simply do not purchase the product. I personally think that Tesla colors are fantastic. Unlike other manufacturers they have so many good colors it is difficult to decide which color you will go with. That being said when people stood in line to get a $35,000 car which is not really a $35,000 car they may want to look at offering flat black and flat white so people have more options to keep the cost down. My daughter when configuring hers was on a limited budget and never gave it a second thought she wanted red and did not hesitate at the extra $1000